Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:30 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,669,908 times

Advertisements

Not from SLC but moved here from SLC.

What I miss: how easy it was to make friends in SLC, social events were easy to find, Social calendar was absolutely filled the entire time I was there. Made friends 2 weeks after I got there and never stopped. Had a pretty big social circle like I did in Texas and Chicago.. Miss how close to the outdoors. Hiking trails 15 minutes so it was easy to get to. Not a huge outdoors guy but like to get away occasionally. Miss the dating scene. Lot of beautiful single women there.

What I love about Denver: Lot of work in my field which is what brought me here. Bar scene is much better here from a cost/quality standpoint. That's about it. honestly, can't wait to leave Denver.

What I hate about Denver: Snobbish people, been here 16 months and have yet to make a single friend. I go out 4 times a week. Dating scene is abysmal. Guessing due to all the guys here. Woman can be picky and arrogant. The high cost of living, the fact that anytime and everything happening during the week is downtown starting at 5:30 and I'm not talking about happy hours (Wanted to take some coding classes,and they are all downtown around 5:30/6. Absolutely amazed at the number of meetup events that are downtown that have nothing to do with bars are restaurants that make people fight rush hour traffic. Just impossible for me to get there from my job by then, let alone try to find some over priced parking. Must not be the only one that feels that way, because the RSVP on those always seem to be really low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:50 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,620,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Not from SLC but moved here from SLC.

What I miss: how easy it was to make friends in SLC, social events were easy to find, Social calendar was absolutely filled the entire time I was there. Made friends 2 weeks after I got there and never stopped. Had a pretty big social circle like I did in Texas and Chicago.. Miss how close to the outdoors. Hiking trails 15 minutes so it was easy to get to. Not a huge outdoors guy but like to get away occasionally. Miss the dating scene. Lot of beautiful single women there.

What I love about Denver: Lot of work in my field which is what brought me here. Bar scene is much better here from a cost/quality standpoint. That's about it. honestly, can't wait to leave Denver.

What I hate about Denver: Snobbish people, been here 16 months and have yet to make a single friend. I go out 4 times a week. Dating scene is abysmal. Guessing due to all the guys here. Woman can be picky and arrogant. The high cost of living, the fact that anytime and everything happening during the week is downtown starting at 5:30 and I'm not talking about happy hours (Wanted to take some coding classes,and they are all downtown around 5:30/6. Absolutely amazed at the number of meetup events that are downtown that have nothing to do with bars are restaurants that make people fight rush hour traffic. Just impossible for me to get there from my job by then, let alone try to find some over priced parking. Must not be the only one that feels that way, because the RSVP on those always seem to be really low.
Uh oh. Here we go again...you too could move to LA.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:08 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,444,160 times
I've lived all the world and Denver is one of the best places I have ever lived in. However...

I miss Singapore chili crab.

I miss waking up to vegetables and eggs being delivered by motorbike in Sulawesi Indonesia.

I miss hearing the waves in Manly Beach Australia.

I miss the mixed culture of San Francisco and Los Angeles.

But Denver has that gentle mix of city and nature, with very nice people that I like.

Last edited by Mach50; 09-16-2018 at 09:24 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 PM

325 posts, read 369,941 times
Moved here from Texas.

I miss the state pride, the food, and the wall of green forest that surrounds the house I grew up in.

Moved here from Southern California.

I miss the ocean, the marine layer creeping up the hills on Fall mornings, and the energy.

Moved here from Michigan.

I miss the small town, the farmer's market, and picking fruit from the vine or the tree.

Here, I love the bright winters, the stark changing of seasons, and the echoes of the frontier past.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:10 AM

91 posts, read 82,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Maybe back in 2004, but in 2016 it seems most of the city of Denver has gone incredibly liberal. There was a higher Trump turnout in L.A. County (margins) over Denver County. Douglas county is still pretty solidly red and much of the rural and Southern areas of CO.
Well, my expectations are set pretty low... I don't feel like I'm surrounded by IRL Tumblr most of the time, so that's refreshing. It isn't typical to turn everything political. I've encountered one person so far who's the exception to this, for example I asked if they were native to Colorado and got an explanation of how white people aren't native to anywhere on this continent so technically no.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/...-voted/508313/

There was a Denver radio station I actually discovered before I moved, I came in the middle of a conversation about political correctness that I found amusing. Only to find out it was a conservative radio station (it sounded more intelligible than the usual MSM content a la Fox News so I wasn't sure...) Then I realized that station, if it ever even got to the point of being able to actually exist in NYC, would be the next big thing everyone loves to hate, and I'd be ostracized if I said the couple minutes of conversation I heard amused me. You almost can't be openly "not a liberal", ironically.

SNL can also be obnoxious politically, but this isn't far off from reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKOb-kmOgpI

Old 09-17-2018, 07:47 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,345,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post
"Purple" (?) state. This has been mentioned before. However, Denver leans blue. I lean libertarian. That being said, the "blueness" of NYC can just come off as obnoxious and/or dogmatic to me. There are some individuals resembling that mindset here, but it's not really the norm and people tend to just be more tolerant of beliefs other than their own even when they're more extreme. I think of all major US cities/metros, Denver metro might be the closest to an ideal match as I'll get politically.
Maybe back in 2004, but in 2016 it seems most of the city of Denver has gone incredibly liberal. There was a higher Trump turnout in L.A. County (margins) over Denver County. Douglas county is still pretty solidly red and much of the rural and Southern areas of CO.
State wide, yes, its purple. Denver is not the whole state and yes, Denver tends to either slightly lean or sharply veer blue depending on the topics and issues at hand. The last presidential election results gave us a large horseshoe shaped range of counties that went Democrat. Starting in NorCo into Denver, up the I70 corridor and looping around through some of the poorest counties in the southern part of the state, with a few fingers branching off here and there. The balance of the state went Republican. So, the 3 million in the Denver metro can either influence or be balanced against the nearly 3 million in the rest of the state. With 4 Republicans and 3 Democrats in the US House, I'd say we are again, fairly purple. Odds are we will be gaining another house seat ad judging from the population growth, it will likely be in a predominately Democratic area that will further balance that number.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:12 AM

10,967 posts, read 7,026,524 times
These threads are so enjoyable and entertaining. Especially seeing the defensive reactions from locals.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-17-2018 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,454,434 times
Denver is pretty Liberal IMO. I wouldnt want to live anywhere more left than here, there is a constant push for more L policies, higher taxes, etc.....its a business friendly state so its thriving and taxes are comparatively low, but just the way families are with their kids it gets annoying and hard to find parents with common values.

Moved from Pitt, but spend a lot of time in MI:

Miss: green trees, water, rain, fall weather, more of a middle ground politically, cheaper housing

Love: The outdoor rec opportunities, the weather outside of blazing hot sun like recently, the amount of value my home has made the last 5 years, the job I have, laid back vibe

Hate: The traffic on 70 on the weekends, # of people moving here and want to turn in into CA, lack of rain

Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,795,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post
Well, my expectations are set pretty low... I don't feel like I'm surrounded by IRL Tumblr most of the time, so that's refreshing. It isn't typical to turn everything political. I've encountered one person so far who's the exception to this, for example I asked if they were native to Colorado and got an explanation of how white people aren't native to anywhere on this continent so technically no.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/...-voted/508313/

There was a Denver radio station I actually discovered before I moved, I came in the middle of a conversation about political correctness that I found amusing. Only to find out it was a conservative radio station (it sounded more intelligible than the usual MSM content a la Fox News so I wasn't sure...) Then I realized that station, if it ever even got to the point of being able to actually exist in NYC, would be the next big thing everyone loves to hate, and I'd be ostracized if I said the couple minutes of conversation I heard amused me. You almost can't be openly "not a liberal", ironically.

SNL can also be obnoxious politically, but this isn't far off from reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKOb-kmOgpI
Saw that article a few days ago on my own. Pretty interesting DFW was 51% for Trump. I thought it was blue.

Let's put it this way, most of the YOUNGER guys in Denver (some friends, some acquaintances) from all over the place: Kansas City, Minneapolis, Pueblo, Toledo, Austin etc voted for Trump. Most older people I knew (politics was a hot topic at the local bar I went to) went for Hillary. That includes one dude I met who was Republican all his life went for Hillary because he couldn't trust Trump. Denver was full of easily triggered and entitled millennial's I found out as well. Like one girl with a yoga mat who flipped out over a guy wearing a MAGA hat at the neighborhood bar.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:19 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,795,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatacombKid View Post
Denverites/Coloradans seem to be obsessed with California. It's a constant topic. Why is that? I was born and raised in Colorado and don't have a single bad thing to say about California or Californians. If Colorado is so great, why do we (not me) spend so much time thinking and talking about California? It feels like insecurity.

Oh...and I'm from here.

Like: mild(ish) winters, sports teams

Dislike: "native" superiority complex, traffic, COL
Definitely superiority complex and/or jealousy. CA cities have beaches and mountains, so maybe that?

Also there's the (BS) theory that COL is rising in Denver in part because so many people from CA are moving there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver