Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 PM

38 posts, read 44,204 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Colorado next weekend to get a sense if we will move there summer 2019. We have settled on two areas, Longmont and Littleton.

Longmont largely as it is a growing city, where we can afford a brand new home.

Littleton, because it is part of the Denver metro area with a more established, greener neighborhood.

We are a family of three, two parents in early 50s with a 6-year-old daughter.

We both work from home, and my job is secured with that. My husband, a Sr. Software Engineer, may need to find something else if his current situation goes awry, but as of right now, there are plenty of opportunities in both the Denver and Longmont/Boulder areas.

As for Littleton, we are interested in the Arapahoe School district. We have a budget of about 600-650K.

For me, it is important for us to have a family-centered, but not in your face, neighborhood where our daughter can walk and/or ride her bike to school, where there is a community center and also afterschool activities such as dance and gymnastics. For my husband its all about the bike (road, mtn & cyclocross). He lived in Colorado in the early 90s and from his past experience, he thinks Littleton seems a bit more ideal in terms of access.

I am a bit confused because when I search for homes, many seem to be in Centennial. The school zones in CO are very confusing to me. Can anyone suggest what might be a good way to have a look around the different neighborhoods and/or are there any neighborhoods recommended over others?

Thank you.

Last edited by Meerame; 10-07-2018 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Spacing for readability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
There are two school districts for Littleton. Littleton Public Schools (which feeds into Arapahoe High School) and Jefferson Public Schools. There isn’t an “Arapahoe District”. Which district are you interested in?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Highlands Ranch seems to check off your boxes. Schools, Rec centers, open space for bike riding.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:37 AM

38 posts, read 44,204 times
Okay see, I got the school district confused even here :-). We are interested in the Littleton School District. I did some research on Highland Ranch, but I think it is perhaps too planned suburbia and too south. We were considering Lakewood too, but I like that Littleton has a downtown area.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
South suburban rec centers require an annual family pass. The high line canal path is a good walking/bike path.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 AM

401 posts, read 487,222 times
I live on the north side of Denver so I can speak for Longmont. It is a great place to live and the 2nd safest city in Colorado (only including towns/cities with 75,000 people or more).

It has a great trail system. It did get destroyed in the floods of 2013 but they are just about finished with many of the trails and the system is better than it was before. There are plenty of families in Longmont but it is very mixed in terms of ages and the neighborhoods tend to be mixed as well. Access to the rec center will depend on the neighborhood you choose as Longmont is pretty spread out.

They have a charter school in the Longmont area that is very popular with parents, it is Flagstaff Academy. The North side of Longmont tends to have better schools but then you would be losing that walkability to downtown. rec center and trails and paths.

We moved to Frederick which is just East of Longmont and my son's school is a 3-minute walk, the rec center is no more than a 5-minute walk from our home or the school and it has a small old downtown area which is all very walkable. We tend to be in Longmont a lot for parades, festivals, events and dining. The old downtown area in Longmont is one of my favorite downtowns in the Denver area.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-08-2018, 10:19 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerame View Post
We are visiting Colorado next weekend to get a sense if we will move there summer 2019. We have settled on two areas, Longmont and Littleton.

Longmont largely as it is a growing city, where we can afford a brand new home.

Littleton, because it is part of the Denver metro area with a more established, greener neighborhood.

We are a family of three, two parents in early 50s with a 6-year-old daughter.

We both work from home, and my job is secured with that. My husband, a Sr. Software Engineer, may need to find something else if his current situation goes awry, but as of right now, there are plenty of opportunities in both the Denver and Longmont/Boulder areas.

As for Littleton, we are interested in the Arapahoe School district. We have a budget of about 600-650K.

For me, it is important for us to have a family-centered, but not in your face, neighborhood where our daughter can walk and/or ride her bike to school, where there is a community center and also afterschool activities such as dance and gymnastics. For my husband its all about the bike (road, mtn & cyclocross). He lived in Colorado in the early 90s and from his past experience, he thinks Littleton seems a bit more ideal in terms of access.

I am a bit confused because when I search for homes, many seem to be in Centennial. The school zones in CO are very confusing to me. Can anyone suggest what might be a good way to have a look around the different neighborhoods and/or are there any neighborhoods recommended over others?

Thank you.
Ken Caryl Ranch and nearby areas would fulfill the outdoorsy and community center needs, but they are definitely suburban and there is no real city center like City of Littleton has.

Closer to downtown Littleton and still having good bike paths, check out the neighborhoods near Santa Fe Blvd and Mineral Ave. There is light rail, above-average shopping (Tattered Cover bookstore!), and a generally more bustling energy level. Farther along the continuum towards urban vs strictly suburban, due to the busy commercial and transportation centers. But still easy, pleasant biking and walking access, plus a wonderful focus for those and birding at the Carson Nature Center.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:20 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
A lot of homes in the Littleton School District are in Western Centennial. Littleton and Centennial kind of blend together. You might want to figure out which elementary schools in Littleton (Centennial) will best suit your needs and then look at the areas within the boundaries. There are a lot of good schools so it won’t narrow your choices by much. Your price range will also not limit your options by much.

Downtown Littleton has a lot of festivals and community events. The littleton Historical Museum and Hudson Gardens are both places worth visiting. There are some good rec centers such as Goodson Rec Center (University and Arapahoe area) for gymnastics and other activities. Southglenn (University/Arapahoe) has a more suburban outdoor mall feel but has restaraunts, shops a library and a movie theater. Aspen Grove (S Santa Fe) is another outdoor mall with a great movie theater (Alamo Theaters) and trails behind it, next to the popular Breckinridge Brewery.

No matter which area you end up, you’ll have things to do close by.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Local district/county/municipal boundaries won't even begin to make sense until you have lived here for a decade. Hire a good realtor who knows the area.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:52 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerame View Post
Okay see, I got the school district confused even here :-). We are interested in the Littleton School District. I did some research on Highland Ranch, but I think it is perhaps too planned suburbia and too south. We were considering Lakewood too, but I like that Littleton has a downtown area.
Don’t knock Highlands Ranch. I used to live there. We made fun of it when we lived in the city as being too suburban, but for open space, wide roads, well cared for green space, free rec centers, trails everywhere, a Wilderness area right off the south end, it’s really hard to beat. As city folk, we dragged our feet when we left. Peace, quiet, wildlife, trails, super friendly are hard to beat. Don’t overlook it.
When we lived in the city, we were in Denver, when we lived in Highlands Ranch we were in Colorado. I know that is hard to understand, but it may make sense to some.
And by the way, Highlands Ranch is technically in Littleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver