U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 AM

5,321 posts, read 2,759,690 times

Advertisements

OK, if popcorn salt is just ultrafine salt, try putting regular salt in a plastic bag and banging it with a wood mallet or even a frying pan. I would put do this on asphalt or concrete—not on a kitchen counter. Wouldn’t that do the trick? You can add seasoning either before or after pounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 11:24 AM

8,121 posts, read 2,831,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
OK, if popcorn salt is just ultrafine salt, try putting regular salt in a plastic bag and banging it with a wood mallet or even a frying pan. I would put do this on asphalt or concrete—not on a kitchen counter. Wouldn’t that do the trick? You can add seasoning either before or after pounding.
That's the gist of the food-processor comments above. I also have a coffee/spice mill.

If that were the only option, I'd use it, but real popcorn salt is extremely fine and even - imagine shaking powdered sugar on popcorn. You get a nice even coating that sticks and lets you enjoy popcorn without any calorie-boosting goop.

Home-ground would likely be less consistent in texture and thus harder to get consistent coverage, without oversalting or most of it ending up in the bottom of the bowl like table salt.

If "popcorn" to you is all about the flavorings, including butter, then this may not make sense to you. I love properly buttered popcorn, but I am trying to find a good low-calorie late-evening snack, and lightly salted, otherwise unflavored popcorn is something I like.

A 4-ounce can of popcorn salt also last just about forever; if I have to pay twice as much to get Amazon to deliver one, I will, but I'm bemused that none of the stores here seems to think it's worth carrying, alongside eighty kinds of microwave stuff and half a shelf of other flavoring things.

COMPLETE CHANGE OF TOPIC, WELL NOT REALLY BUT CLOSE:
Do hot-air poppers have quirks up here in the thin air? I bought a fairly standard model and brand when I got here, having owned several but left them behind this move. I haven't used it until now. It sprays the popped kernels everywhere past and out of the bowl, and every kernel that pops drives two or three unpopped kernels into the bowl. My first pass, I ended up with half a bowl of fluffies and half the unpopped ones. I had to keep cycling the remains through the popper to get them all. Is this usual Rocky-Mountain-High popper behavior, or did I just manage to buy the one faulty model of the last 30 years?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 AM

21,016 posts, read 11,633,974 times
I use this one in the microwave and it works great, barely any unpopped kernels in the batch each time

https://www.amazon.com/Ecolution-Mic...NSXJD138ZD5Z3Q

I haven't used a hot air popper out here so I can't say whether there is any issue with them, though

As for making the salt yourself, if you have a good food processor, it really isn't very hard to do. I've made confectioners sugar as well, without a problem. You just keep pulsing it until it's the consistency you want.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:34 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
I simply can't imagine supermarkets not stocking popcorn salt. If they stock popcorn the salt should be right there near it along with the flavored popcorn oils; at least that's how I've always seen it done.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:50 AM

8,121 posts, read 2,831,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I use this one in the microwave and it works great...
I just don't care for microwave popcorn, even the DIY kind. (Dislike the bag kind; hate the buttered bag kind even from 100 feet away; have to leave the building if someone does cheese flavor or whatever.)

Quote:
As for making the salt yourself, if you have a good food processor, it really isn't very hard to do. I've made confectioners sugar as well, without a problem. You just keep pulsing it until it's the consistency you want.
I'll give it a shot. Part of it is that a few ounces is plenty and I am not clear how a processor will handle less than, say, a cup. And then I have to find a suitable shaker, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I simply can't imagine supermarkets not stocking popcorn salt. If they stock popcorn the salt should be right there near it along with the flavored popcorn oils; at least that's how I've always seen it done.
Me too. KS has a ten-foot salt shelf; no popcorn. Popcorn section is twenty feet of choices, no salt. Denver strikes again!

Old 10-11-2018, 02:10 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,813,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I agree.

I need to add that the salt we are talking about is not the flavored stuff, but instead a very fine plain salt. It's not expensive and doesn't take up a lot of shelf space, but it makes a huge difference in the finished popcorn.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:46 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,988,228 times
Have you checked the Morton salt popcorn salt site "find a store near you"?

Old 10-11-2018, 03:30 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
Go to the customer service desk of your friendly local store and ask them to special order the salt for you. I’ve done that in the past.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:59 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,818,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Do hot-air poppers have quirks up here in the thin air?
Interesting question, which I can't answer as I never had an air popper when I lived at sea level :-)

I have a Cuisinart air popper. Nothing fancy. What I do when I start the thing is tip it backwards 10-20 degrees, so the "bouncy" kernels tend to fall back into the popper. Once the kernels start popping, then I let it do its own thing, as the top layer of popped corn still in the machine then restricts the kernels underneath from flying out un-popped. Using this method, I wind up with less than 10 un-popped kernels per batch.

And just to put a science bent to your question, at altitude, the popping occurs more quickly. It's the water within the kernels that forms steam and causes the kernels to expand/pop. Since the boiling point here is about 10F lower, not as much time for heating is required.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:44 PM

21,016 posts, read 11,633,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Have you checked the Morton salt popcorn salt site "find a store near you"?
I was curious enough to look and oh, the irony.

The only local outlet for Morton Popcorn Salt besides Target was Safeway, and well, we all know how the OP feels about Safeway.

Who can afford to shop at Safeway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or