Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,979 times

Advertisements

At first I was pleased to see Colorado be very progressive with marijuana by legalizing it. The good feelings certainly have washed away into frustration-

My home gets permeated with the odor of marijuana from neighbors that do it day and night yet the city and police will not do anything because they don't consider it to be a nuisance like a loud party. My covenant is actually looking to put bylaws into our HOA to make it a nuisance offence as they are being subjected to daily complaints about the odor.

I see people in our crowded main streets and highways toking up with no regard for their own safety or others in traffic.

I smell it in public on a daily basis. I spend the last two months documenting how many times I have run into public weed usage around Denver and there wasn't a day I didn't see of smell it.

We have people flocking here to the Amsterdam of North America that do not care if they trash the city so long as they can get their weed groove on and fly back home. I finally understand how my friend from Las Vegas feels about tourists despite the tax revenue and so forth.

Don't get me wrong. I like to do it maybe twice a year a treat. Moderation...a word that seems to not have much meaning here in the Mile High city.

Denver was a place that I really loved and enjoyed living in up until recently. This once great city has become a druggy, dingy, dirty, and increasingly unfriendly place to live in. I know a number of folks that are packing up and moving out of state for these reasons. I can't say that I blame them.

Is anyone else fed up with this as well? Is this the Denver we really want to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,542,929 times
So you like to do it a couple times a year and you don't like other people doing it more often?

I'm curious what sort of system you are proposing. Pot should be legal, but only if you use it less than 6 times a year? Or pot should still be illegal and we should be jailing those unlucky enough to get caught (which is disproportionatly the poor and minority populations)?

I don't smoke pot at all, but am 100% in favor of legalization.

Yes you see pot now. You get to choose if it offends you or not.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 AM

17,701 posts, read 29,780,972 times
Nope.
However, you might consider the offensive (to you) odor to be a good reason to legalize heroin and cocaine.
Lower effluvium.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,468,497 times
Do people honestly see a bunch of people driving around the metro toking. My friend has had his red card for 4 years and admitted to me he has done in his car downtown at lunch a few times, but he doesn't and hasn't seen anyone just walking around vaping w/MJ or even smoking which smells more.

He takes a few tokes in his car in a structure and it help him with his ADHD.

No red card holders probably have a different mind set than rec users.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,461,621 times
Im not really for or against it. But if my neighbors always smoked on their porch I would be pretty pissed. Luckily just about everyone around me has a job that requires a drug test.

I have heard from people that go down town Denver a lot that its gotten worse and many dont use RTD on the weekends due to the amount of bums and smell of weed.

I go to Denver once every 4-5 months and I have noticed every time the bums seem to increase exponentially.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:03 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,468,497 times
I would be pissed if someone was smoking on their porch, because the law says inside discrete. I get it if there is a pungent smell occasionally drifting out someone's window, but to be blowing it outside so close to others opens windows not cool.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,254,712 times
Marijuana should be treated like tobacco regarding public exposure at this point. Nobody wants to be a second-hand smoker.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Marijuana should be treated like tobacco regarding public exposure at this point. Nobody wants to be a second-hand smoker.
This is true, although I definitely do not see it day to day. I mean yes, I see the typical stoners sitting at the park midday and I am sure they are smoking there. I see the occasional yuppies smoking a vaporizer pen outside of a bar. But normally in my day to day I simply don't see enough of it to bother me.

I suspect the OP is looking for it specifically, and it may be all around me and I'm just oblivious, but I think sometimes people tend to get too focused on one thing and they start paying attention to it every time they see it which heightens their awareness of it. It's like I don't know - one day you meet your first Bernese Mountain Dog and fall in love and then it looks like they are everywhere. Well they aren't - you just never paid attention to them and now you are ONLY paying attention to them. Your brain did not register it before but now it is extra attuned to it. Similar case here, but going in the other (very negative) direction.

OP - you are only making yourself miserable. Let it go and live your life. Stop "documenting" how often you smell marijuana smoke because you will just drive yourself crazy.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,043,541 times
I haven't seen any affect from it yet. Maybe because I live in the burbs. Maybe because we have big lots. But I feel for you if you are getting it blowing into your house. That would be awful. The times when I have been downtown I haven't seen or smelled it but admittedly I hardly ever go to the 16th st mall because of the cigarette smokers and bums. Other public venues like Stock Show, Convention Center, Denver Merchandise Mart, Union Station, etc I've seen no evidence of it.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,254,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
This is true, although I definitely do not see it day to day. I mean yes, I see the typical stoners sitting at the park midday and I am sure they are smoking there. I see the occasional yuppies smoking a vaporizer pen outside of a bar. But normally in my day to day I simply don't see enough of it to bother me.

I suspect the OP is looking for it specifically, and it may be all around me and I'm just oblivious, but I think sometimes people tend to get too focused on one thing and they start paying attention to it every time they see it which heightens their awareness of it. It's like I don't know - one day you meet your first Bernese Mountain Dog and fall in love and then it looks like they are everywhere. Well they aren't - you just never paid attention to them and now you are ONLY paying attention to them. Your brain did not register it before but now it is extra attuned to it. Similar case here, but going in the other (very negative) direction.

OP - you are only making yourself miserable. Let it go and live your life. Stop "documenting" how often you smell marijuana smoke because you will just drive yourself crazy.
Depends on where you live. The Ballpark neighborhood reeks of weed, but CBD not so much, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver