Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 8,376 times

Advertisements

Considering taking a giant leap at 33 years old and relocating to the Denver area from New York (not city proper, but close enough, and I work outside Manhattan) next year. I have a 13 year old son who is on board - somewhat surprisingly (really, he just wants to snowboard all the time). I am progressive/ left leaning, single female, currently employed in the AV industry. We've got two dogs, hike, ski/ snowboard, want to mountain bike, kayak, etc. This would be a completely blind move - calling it a "gap year" after which we have the (total privilege) of coming back to my great job, temporarily crashing with my parents if need be, and in general not disrupting my life all that much. If we both love it, we stay.

Reasons for moving to Denver: it's been calling me. Really though..our lifestyles are relatively stunted in the area we're living in. We maximize any hiking/ skiiing/ outdoors activities possible, but for instance we're too far removed to belong to a climbing gym, or to hit the slopes after school/ work. I want to feel small and sort of insignificant, and I feel like the Colorado vastness might do that for me. My friend group here is lovely, but I can make new friends (and keep my old friends). I've really only ever lived in this one small town area, and I want to try to spread my wings and explore before committing long term to my current company (which I love, and is great, but.. work isn't life).

Questions:
- Outside of Denver city proper, where outside of Denver would be a good fit? In part, I am intentionally moving away from a conservative area and hoping to put ourselves in closer physical proximity to convenient and fulfilling potential relationships with people who feel/ vote similarly. Was considering west of Denver because the mountains are important. Would love to at least experiment with living in a more developed area (currently we cannot walk to anything, back roads, one traffic light, etc) and then explore the outlying towns if we decide to put down roots. Was thinking about even renting something furnished for a few months instead of signing a lease immediately.
- Will I need four wheel drive? I have a little Pruis which I love, and living in the North East driving in the snow is no problem. But..
- Pit Bulls and BSL. What gives? I'm not getting rid of my dog. One is a mix who passes easily for Boxer, the other is a pittie who *could* possibly pass for Bulldog mix - and I can definitely change her rescue paperwork. But I don't want to get all the way there to have immediate and major issues. I'd rather live in my car (or, less dramatic, pick somewhere else to move) than even consider parting with her.
- Not too worried about work. I've got experience in operations management, client services, project management, etc within AV, software, food and beverage production. Also, playing the "gap year" card, I'm down to bartend a bunch if necessary and just see what happens. Basically I'm capable and versatile, but is there anything I should consider?
- Anything else I should consider, in general? Am I too relaxed about how badly this could go? (My safety net is strong, which is why I'm not too terribly worried).
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 10:50 AM

17,696 posts, read 29,735,512 times
1. The pit bull is going to be a hassle. But, you know that. Research thoroughly before parting with any money.
2. Live west of Denver if want easier mountain access.
3. Greater Denver does not have a lot of walkable areas. Look at WalkScore.com before committing. Ask us about specific locations.
4. Colorado state law CRS 126.78 requires all newcomers to purchase a Subaru.
5. Overall, greater Denver is blue.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:08 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,663,888 times
"5. Overall, greater Denver is blue."

Except the south burbs which lean right.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 AM

3,123 posts, read 5,032,413 times
There is a poster named ALStafford who posted a similar request back in 2013 (I believe). She was a single mom with a teenager going to high school. She ended up near Belmar (very walkable, newer, safe neighborhood) with her child in Lakewood high school and it (the move) was a fabulous success. Hopefully she will be along soon to give her advice.

Based on your post I think your type of move is likely to be highly successful. You have all the right interests (outdoor adventures and dogs) to fit right in.

Here is a list of what I think are the current breed bans. You are fine in the Lakewood, Arvada, Wheatridge, Littleton areas west of town that you are looking at. Getting a rental with two large pit bull type dogs will be another matter.

https://www.dogsbite.org/legislating...s-colorado.php

Old 11-05-2018, 11:24 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,921,609 times
So you never even paid Denver or anywhere else in Colorado a visit, yet you're all set to move halfway across the country with your son and assume you'll land in paradise. no problem? I know I sound mean, but in your place, I would take a few deep breaths and come back to the real world. One of the hardest lessons I ever learned was to look before I leaped. When I was around your age, I moved blind to northern Idaho because I had a very good job offer there. Well, the job wasn't what I expected, I hated the weather which seem to consist of a steady drizzle of freezing rain from October to May, and even the sun seemed to hate that place. I never saw it for months on end. Pretty soon I was crying as I drove to work everyday. Should have looked before I lept. Anyhow...

If you want to be able to ski/snowboard right after you get off from work Denver or even the suburbs and towns in its western foothills will be a disappointment. Colorado has been growing so rapidly that its infrastructure (which was never that great in the first place) can't keep up with the pace. Both the major Interstates through Denver - I-25 and I-70 turn into parking lots during the rush hour. The drive up I-70 into the mountains can be especially frustrating. If you are determined to move out "blind," I'd suggest you try to target the city of Golden in the foothills west of Denver. It's a pretty nice city, the school are good for the most part, it's fairly scenic, and you'll shave some time off the rat race to make it into Vail, the closest major ski resort.

Another possibility would be Boulder. Boulder is fairly expensive, but if you are used to real estate/rental prices in the area around Manhattan, you may even consider Boulder to be a bargain. The city of Boulder is probably the most progressive town in Colorado and the people who live there are absolutely wild for the great out of doors. You would also have a much better chance of finding a home that would be close to hiking trails and the Eldora ski resort which is up Boulder canyon near the town of Nederland. Opportunities for climbing abound, beginning with the Boulder Flatirons and Eldorado Canyon right on the western edge of the city. A Quick and Dirty Guide to Skiing and Snowboarding Near Boulder is a good web site that gives a rundown of all the ski opportunities within a two hour drive of Boulder.

Finally, Denver (or Boulder) is not going to give you the feeling of being an insignificant speck in the wonders of nature. They are both cities and Denver is a very big city. When I lived in Denver I felt more like an ant in a massive anthill, and if you want to get "lost" in the Colorado mountains, a 4wd is not required, but it sure helps.

Best of luck to you, and please, please open your eyes unless you want splat down somewhere on the worst stretch of Colfax Avenue.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 11-05-2018 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 11:24 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,663,888 times
There are some areas of town built or being built around the "town center" concept. Some of them are Lowry, Belleview, Belmar, Louisville, Sloan's Lake and others. The walkability in these areas is greater. Some are close to light rail, some are not. You may want to explore some of these. Real estate is expensive, but maybe not so much in comparison to NY.

4WD is not required, but if you intend to go into the mountains in winter, it is advisable. Main roads are cleared, but side streets are rarely plowed unless I think the storm dumps 10" or more. Snow melts quickly here, but the day of a storm can be "fun".

It is very dry here and one of the first comments I hear from newcomers is how dry it really is. Your nose and eyes may be overly dry and burn, but you adapt. Lip balm in your pocket is a must. Lotion in winter is must.

The weather is unpredictable. Always pack a jacket when going to the mountains in summer and never pack your winter clothes too far away. I've seen 70's in winter and blizzards in May. It is just the way it is here.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,731,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Getting a rental with two large pit bull type dogs will be another matter.
Even leaving out the whole p__ b___ issue, getting a rental with two dogs that weigh more than a laptop is going to be very difficult. I also did a completely blind move here in fall 2017, and while I was assured there were many places that would rent with dogs, I ended up buying a house instead after wasting nearly a month trying to find a few places worth talking to about rental. They'd hear "...two Great Danes..." and hang up.

It's obvious which side of the fence you're on, but the Denver area has many restrictions on "pit bull breeds" - not just for rentals, but for keeping within city limits at all. That's going to compound your problems.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:30 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,637,891 times
You don't need a four-wheel drive (love Dave's rule #4), but you will need good winter tires.

You might consider living in Evergreen to have more of the mountain-living experience. I was going to recommend my town, Buena Vista, but employment opportunities are quite limited.

Regardless of your feelings about your dogs, pit bulls or anything looking like a pit bull will really limit where you can live. You can easily find on-line which towns prohibit pit bulls. That's just the way it is.

Traffic going to the mountains is horrible on Saturday morning and horrible coming back on Sunday afternoon. Lots of people live in Denver and they all want to head to the mountains on the weekends.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:49 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,153,273 times
I'm not sure you've really investigated the cost of living out here. I don't think it's realistic to assume you can support yourself and a teen on a bartender's income, never mind being able to afford regular participation in the not inexpensive recreational activities that are the draw for your interest in coming here.

I have no problem telling a single person to go ahead and take the leap - they can live in a roommate situation and figure out ways to make it all work. But with a kid? Nope. You need a more concrete plan, with a stable source of income and a budget so you can figure out a reasonable place to live on that budget and then see if it makes sense to make this move.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:59 AM

13 posts, read 8,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not sure you've really investigated the cost of living out here. I don't think it's realistic to assume you can support yourself and a teen on a bartender's income, never mind being able to afford regular participation in the not inexpensive recreational activities that are the draw for your interest in coming here.

I have no problem telling a single person to go ahead and take the leap - they can live in a roommate situation and figure out ways to make it all work. But with a kid? Nope. You need a more concrete plan, with a stable source of income and a budget so you can figure out a reasonable place to live on that budget and then see if it makes sense to make this move.

Sorry, should have clarified - I'm good to work full time and bartend. I've already seen several postings within my industry for essentially what I do currently (one at the Denver branch of our major "competitor" with whom we regularly bounce employees between), and that's not touching other experience/ industries I've worked within. I've looked at multiple sources to get an idea as to cost of living versus average rates of pay, and am pretty comfortable in thinking that I won't find it any more difficult than I do living in the NYC/ tri-state area of NY. It's not cheap to be here, either. Thank you for being concerned for my son's stability and basic necessities, I am 100% on the same page - there won't be any couch surfing or questionable roommates here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver