U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 07:04 AM

6,509 posts, read 10,147,919 times

Advertisements

Bailey to Centennial Airport right now is an hour and 10 minutes. In a snowstorm it could easily be a two hour plus commute.

You also have top add in sun glare which will impact you at various times going to and from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 AM

6,885 posts, read 6,460,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_15 View Post
that may be way my husband keeps saying no when I bring up a jeep lol

when yall say "suck the life out of you" what does that mean? I once had a commute that was 45 mins - hour one way, I did that for a couple years. The only time it bothered me was when a hurricane was coming and we were sent home early.

I believe the office hours are 7:30-4:30. I don't know if that would make a difference traffic wise.
It’s 7:00am right now and google is showing Larkspur to Centennial Airport at 34 minutes.

Bailey to the same spot is 70 minutes.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 11-15-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 AM

557 posts, read 275,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_15 View Post
that may be way my husband keeps saying no when I bring up a jeep lol

when yall say "suck the life out of you" what does that mean? I once had a commute that was 45 mins - hour one way, I did that for a couple years. The only time it bothered me was when a hurricane was coming and we were sent home early.

I believe the office hours are 7:30-4:30. I don't know if that would make a difference traffic wise.
I-25 and 83 (a secret until now) are usually backed up any time of the day- and weather / toll lane construction will not make it any easier.

Almost every day on the radio I hear about "an accident near Greenland has one lane shut down" etc... in the morning so you can see how that commute will go most of the time.

Expect 1.5 hours between CS and Denver most times you travel that stretch now.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I-25 and 83 (a secret until now) are usually backed up any time of the day- and weather / toll lane construction will not make it any easier.

Almost every day on the radio I hear about "an accident near Greenland has one lane shut down" etc... in the morning so you can see how that commute will go most of the time.

Expect 1.5 hours between CS and Denver most times you travel that stretch now.
Larkspur is hardly CS.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:06 AM

557 posts, read 275,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Larkspur is hardly CS.
OK- "anywhere" on I-25 south of Castle Rock will be tough.

Last edited by LHS79; 11-15-2018 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 4 days ago)

10,873 posts, read 29,258,091 times
Does it have to be foothills? Can it be rural? Parker, Elizabeth would keep you on the east side.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 AM

5,278 posts, read 2,721,404 times
Bailey to Englewood in 45 minutes is optimistic at best. That’s putting it mildly, and not even factoring in snow/ice and delays from accidents obstructing roads.

Don’t choose a place that is right at your limit of commuting time tolerance even on the best of days.

Set your sights on a realistic average time of under 30 minutes instead, but it sure won’t be rural or inexpensive. It definitely won’t be in the mountains.

So many people think they will love living in the foothills yet come from nearly opposite climates and flat terrain...getting AWD or 4WD is not a magic bullet.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Englewood can be very large. What is your to-be-work address?

And

Skydog knows quite well that Colorado Law CRS 178,34 requires all newcomers to purchase a Subaru upon arrival in the state. Even our new liberal governor is not going to be able to change that.
Apparently I've been here long enough to be grandfathered out of that law!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
OK- "anywhere" on I-25 south of Castle Rock will be tough.
I checked google at peak traffic today and it was 35 minutes.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:56 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,054,570 times
Englewood is pretty central to the Denver metro area. Anyplace you want to live that is more rural than urban or even suburban is going to involve a minimum of 40 minute commute to work. From some locations this will easily double or triple that time in even the best conditions. There is no way around that fact.

It is also worth noting that you will be going to work 4-5 day a week. Trips to the mountains may only be a a day or two a week. With that type of ratio it would probably want to make your work commute the more tolerable of the two. Unfortunately the Denver metro area has grown to the point that it is not easily obtainable to have an excellent job from 8-4 and then play in the foothills before dinner. Population, traffic and geography all conspire to prevent that.

When people say the commute will suck the life out of you, it is due to the unpredictability of it all. On a map it can easily say 20 minutes, but the weather can change and that time doubles and it isn't necessarily due to the severity of the weather. A single motor vehicle accident can totally derail a commute in some places. Other times it will be severe weather. In same cases it could be driver inability. We have a lot of different people here that all bring different and sometimes conflicting, driving habits. In CO, the weather can have micro-events where a place 5 miles up the road from where you are at is getting golf ball sized hail and bringing traffic to a standstill. Meanwhile, you sit in your car in the sunshine wonder what is happening and get frustrated because the Dr.s appointment you make six weeks ago is now going to be missed. Similarly if you live at elevation, you may need snow chains to get out of your driveway and once you get in the city find it is so dry you have to stop and remove the chains. So the frustration with commuting here is not simply the length of time of the commute that is brutal, it is the unpredictability and variability of ways for it to go wrong on a daily basis.

As far as politics and social interaction goes, keep in mind that keyboard critics on social media, even this site, can spout off about anything and do so with significant venom and minimal repercussions. Meanwhile, most people you meet in person here are going to be pretty polite. As a matter of fact, over half the people you will meet here are not from here, so they will be similar to yourself in that they have chosen to be here. Choosing to be here tends to really change the outlook of most people and positively impacts their attitudes.

I would recommend not necessarily limiting yourself to living directly in the foothills. The geography of the area means that is is still fairy hilly in some suburban neighborhoods and as the metro has grown, it has created numerous open space areas that are within the city limits that can preserve some feel of the natural environment. Sometimes a quick evening walk through an open space is a sufficient mental fix without the need to actually get into mountain terrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver