U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 5,364 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to move out of state. We do love it here but we want more access to the great outdoors. We are seriously considering the Denver area since we can both transfer our jobs. I would be moving with the company I currently work for to the Englewood location. Husband is an electrician in the union so he can go anywhere he wants, for the most part.

We do not want to live in Denver or the suburbs. We aren't city people. Our home is outside the city limits of a town with population about 30,000. The neighboring town (across the river) has a population of 50,000. All together consisting of 40ish square miles. If we stay here we will move further out and away from town. All that being said, we would like to lives in the foothills. I've been researching this move for 5 or 6 months now and from I can tell, the Evergreen down to Bailey area seems to be best for us. Bailey/Pine/Conifer area based on cost of housing.

We love being outdoors for basically anything. Camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, kayaking. We hope to add winter sports to this list also. These are also factors in our decision to move to the Denver area. We added several days to our January ski trip in order to check out the area and make a few trips to Denver during commute times.

My main concern is actual commute time.
Google maps says its a 45 minute commute from Bailey to Englewood, A definite change for me. In reality what is that commute like? We don't have kids so that's not an issue.

I'm also concerned about moving from a hard core red state to a blue state. In my research I joined several local facebook groups and lets just say I get the feeling republicans aren't welcome in the areas we are looking to move. I've seen more hate towards repubs than I have racism in our local groups in Louisiana. Is it really like that? I'm not one to discuss politics and religion with others, especially if they don't think the same as me but I won't be quiet when someone else views are being shoved down my throat, which is the vibe I have received from the facebook groups. I know, facebook is facebook but it did give me a different insight than I have seen on here.

What are the people in the foothills actually like? Here you are either a city slicker which tend to get on my nerves since *most* of them make fun of me for being so "redneck" and "country" according to them. Or you are a "country" person. There are a few "artsy" type people across the river, my grandparents included. We have a mixture of friends but most tend to be on the "country" side.

We really just want to be in the mountains, mind our own business like we do here but still make some friends, spend time outdoors, and not drive over an hour to work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 05:01 PM

7,575 posts, read 7,061,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_15 View Post
My husband and I are wanting to move out of state. We do love it here but we want more access to the great outdoors. We are seriously considering the Denver area since we can both transfer our jobs. I would be moving with the company I currently work for to the Englewood location. Husband is an electrician in the union so he can go anywhere he wants, for the most part.

We do not want to live in Denver or the suburbs. We aren't city people. Our home is outside the city limits of a town with population about 30,000. The neighboring town (across the river) has a population of 50,000. All together consisting of 40ish square miles. If we stay here we will move further out and away from town. All that being said, we would like to lives in the foothills. I've been researching this move for 5 or 6 months now and from I can tell, the Evergreen down to Bailey area seems to be best for us. Bailey/Pine/Conifer area based on cost of housing.

We love being outdoors for basically anything. Camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, kayaking. We hope to add winter sports to this list also. These are also factors in our decision to move to the Denver area. We added several days to our January ski trip in order to check out the area and make a few trips to Denver during commute times.

My main concern is actual commute time.
Google maps says its a 45 minute commute from Bailey to Englewood, A definite change for me. In reality what is that commute like? We don't have kids so that's not an issue.

I'm also concerned about moving from a hard core red state to a blue state. In my research I joined several local facebook groups and lets just say I get the feeling republicans aren't welcome in the areas we are looking to move. I've seen more hate towards repubs than I have racism in our local groups in Louisiana. Is it really like that? I'm not one to discuss politics and religion with others, especially if they don't think the same as me but I won't be quiet when someone else views are being shoved down my throat, which is the vibe I have received from the facebook groups. I know, facebook is facebook but it did give me a different insight than I have seen on here.

What are the people in the foothills actually like? Here you are either a city slicker which tend to get on my nerves since *most* of them make fun of me for being so "redneck" and "country" according to them. Or you are a "country" person. There are a few "artsy" type people across the river, my grandparents included. We have a mixture of friends but most tend to be on the "country" side.

We really just want to be in the mountains, mind our own business like we do here but still make some friends, spend time outdoors, and not drive over an hour to work.
Where to start....

That 45 minute commute from Bailey is rough. Add some snow and it could take over 2 hours. Basically you’re going to miss work if we get a decent storm. Speaking of snow, if you live in the foothills, I hope you’re ready for it. Come summertime there are wildfires in the foothills. My MIL, who lives up 285 by Conifer, keeps a box of her irreplaceable belongings packed up and ready to throw in the car at a moment’s notice. It’s very, very dry here which would be a big departure from Louisiana.

As far as the red/blue thing, the foothills are full of all types. Artsy Dems, Libertarians, hippies, crazy mountain people, ski bums, bible beaters, etc.... I will say that the suburban republicans are starting to become conservative Democrats. Our governor elect is a liberal, gay, Jewish guy who is raising his little kids with his long time partner. He won big a couple weeks ago.

Even the city folks here are very in to the outdoors. How many mountains you’ve climbed is often a bigger status symbol than which car you drive.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:23 PM

14,513 posts, read 21,340,432 times
Englewood can be very large. What is your to-be-work address?

And
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
than which car you drive.
Skydog knows quite well that Colorado Law CRS 178,34 requires all newcomers to purchase a Subaru upon arrival in the state. Even our new liberal governor is not going to be able to change that.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Where to start....

That 45 minute commute from Bailey is rough. Add some snow and it could take over 2 hours. Basically you’re going to miss work if we get a decent storm. Speaking of snow, if you live in the foothills, I hope you’re ready for it. Come summertime there are wildfires in the foothills. My MIL, who lives up 285 by Conifer, keeps a box of her irreplaceable belongings packed up and ready to throw in the car at a moment’s notice. It’s very, very dry here which would be a big departure from Louisiana.

As far as the red/blue thing, the foothills are full of all types. Artsy Dems, Libertarians, hippies, crazy mountain people, ski bums, bible beaters, etc.... I will say that the suburban republicans are starting to become conservative Democrats. Our governor elect is a liberal, gay, Jewish guy who is raising his little kids with his long time partner. He won big a couple weeks ago.

Even the city folks here are very in to the outdoors. How many mountains you’ve climbed is often a bigger status symbol than which car you drive.

Winter and wildfires, exactly what my cousin from Colorado Springs said lol. Winter is a concern of mine. It does snow here but not more than 3 inches or so and that will shut the entire town down. Depending on the position I end up in I may be able to work remotely some days. But that is aTBD.

I would love to be where your adventures are a bigger status symbol than your car. We aren’t materialistic people but are surrounded by tons of them. I love that Colorado has an openly gay governor, I am very happy for him and his success.

Thank you for the feedback! What area do you suggest that would still be in the foothill area but not “close to the city”?

Old 11-14-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

And

Skydog knows quite well that Colorado Law CRS 178,34 requires all newcomers to purchase a Subaru upon arrival in the state. Even our new liberal governor is not going to be able to change that.

Look like it will he near the centennial airport. I will be getting a new car, actually considering a Subaru suv. I would love a Jeep but gas mileage is important to me.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:48 PM

6,785 posts, read 10,739,180 times
Quote:
Look like it will he near the centennial airport. I will be getting a new car, actually considering a Subaru suv. I would love a Jeep but gas mileage is important to me.
A commute from the foothills to Centennial Airport will suck the life out of you really quickly. C470 will be better once they get the express lanes built, but that corridor is the worst on this side of town.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 PM

7,575 posts, read 7,061,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

And

Yes, but there is a 4Runner exemption that you may quality for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
A commute from the foothills to Centennial Airport will suck the life out of you really quickly. C470 will be better once they get the express lanes built, but that corridor is the worst on this side of town.
Agree. Might be better to target Black Forest/Larkspur area to the south.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 AM

737 posts, read 391,973 times
Quote:
And a Jeep is made by Fiat/Chrysler so you have to take trips to the mechanic into consideration also.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:09 AM

737 posts, read 391,973 times
Quote:
Yes, but there is a 4Runner exemption that you may quality for.

Agree. Might be better to target Black Forest/Larkspur area to the south.
That commute from Black Forest/Larkspur would suck the life out of you also.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
And a Jeep is made by Fiat/Chrysler so you have to take trips to the mechanic into consideration also.

that may be way my husband keeps saying no when I bring up a jeep lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
That commute from Black Forest/Larkspur would suck the life out of you also.
when yall say "suck the life out of you" what does that mean? I once had a commute that was 45 mins - hour one way, I did that for a couple years. The only time it bothered me was when a hurricane was coming and we were sent home early.

I believe the office hours are 7:30-4:30. I don't know if that would make a difference traffic wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver