Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,746 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I have done a decent amount of research on my own, but I'd like to hear some other viewpoints/opinions/suggestions as well. I am about to graduate nursing school and will be applying to many of the larger hospital systems in Denver. If all goes well, I would ideally like to work at UCHealth, but am also applying to DenverHealth and Colorado Children's, among others. I'm looking for information on the best suburbs to live in for a young family near any of these hospitals. We would prefer suburban neighborhoods with a decent size yard, and our price range is under 550k.

About me (to help with suggestions):
28, married with one kid
Husband is flexible with work
Love to hike/walk/bike
Born and raised in Phoenix (and hate it)
Would love some sort of mountain views, green space, mature trees/tree lined streets, safe neighborhood, access to public transportation if possible
Looking for an established neighborhood, not new construction/McMansions if possible
I think I like the feeling of Centennial/Littleton but I have no idea if that is a ridiculous commute or if there are better options elsewhere

Fire away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 07:01 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Some light reading:

Moving to Denver...A Primer on Living Life Where the Mountains Meet The Plains

Littleton to Colfax and 225 is a really bad commute. Easily an hour even if you live near light rail. Honestly if you've got your heart set on that area for work I wouldn't live anywhere west of I-25.

Eastern Centennial wouldn't be a fun commute, but it wouldn't be as rough as living west of I-25.

Southeast Aurora has some of the best views of the high peaks IMNSHO, and it's not a terrible commute to UCHealth/Children's. You could also apply at Parker Adventist if you're out here. The main drawback is that it's 25ish minutes further from the mountains than Littleton. Still, you're gonna be spending a LOT more time commuting to work than the mountains. For newer hoods check out 80116. Older housing stock is available in 80013 and 80015. Aurora proper is served by 2 school districts. For Aurora and Centennial look for schools zoned to Cherry Creek School District. Aurora Public Schools are not nearly as good.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 11-14-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 09:06 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
Arvada or Wheatridge would meet most of your criteria. The commute to UCH isn't horrendous although it's about to get a lot worse with I-70 construction.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Job first, then housing nearby.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:02 PM

157 posts, read 91,463 times
1st, I moved here from the PHX area 10 years ago and unless you are one of those who loves the desert SW (which it sounds like you are not), then you should be happy here. Everything from the climate to the geography to the people is better here. I found PHX to have a high number of "angry" populace probly due to the insufferable heat most of the year. Much more chill and relaxed atmosphere here which is nice.

I actually recvd emergency treatment at UC Health a couple years ago and was highly impressed with the whole operation. No idea what it would be like to work there, but I liked their care. As the others have mentioned it is located in the heart of busy'ness though so traffic is an issue. The 225 kind of sucks, but living east of it is better than west. Your $550k and below budget should get you into something nice in most of the burbs. That's becoming the new average around here. FYI, Greeley has a Banner Hospital which is also present in the Valley so you might be familiar. My wife worked there and liked the experience. You'd be living up north at that point, but it might be something else to explore.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:25 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixtransplant View Post
Hi All!

I have done a decent amount of research on my own, but I'd like to hear some other viewpoints/opinions/suggestions as well. I am about to graduate nursing school and will be applying to many of the larger hospital systems in Denver. If all goes well, I would ideally like to work at UCHealth, but am also applying to DenverHealth and Colorado Children's, among others. I'm looking for information on the best suburbs to live in for a young family near any of these hospitals. We would prefer suburban neighborhoods with a decent size yard, and our price range is under 550k.

About me (to help with suggestions):
28, married with one kid
Husband is flexible with work
Love to hike/walk/bike
Born and raised in Phoenix (and hate it)
Would love some sort of mountain views, green space, mature trees/tree lined streets, safe neighborhood, access to public transportation if possible
Looking for an established neighborhood, not new construction/McMansions if possible
I think I like the feeling of Centennial/Littleton but I have no idea if that is a ridiculous commute or if there are better options elsewhere

Fire away!
If you would consider Colorado Springs, UC Health (Memorial hospital North) is now expanding in Briargate.

Look near Briargate Pkwy and Union Blvd and you will easily find houses that meet your spec. Another nearby hospital, Penrose North is also expanding. Both should provide employment opportunities.

Furthermore, there are many medical offices in the area.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Arvada or Wheatridge would meet most of your criteria. The commute to UCH isn't horrendous although it's about to get a lot worse with I-70 construction.
Surely you jest!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 5,195 times
We just moved from Phoenix in June, and we have similar backgrounds. (Although I miss Arizona terribly.) We ended up in far west Centennial, in an older established neighborhood like you have described. So far we like it; we have Highline Canal access from our street, Littleton Public Schools, and mountain access is decent.

I am also a nurse. I took the last 6 months off, but am starting in a few weeks as part of the new UChealth Highlands Ranch opening team. The hospital opens in March; have you looked into openings there? It is a quick 15 min commute from my house in Centennial/Littleton. I would avoid the commute to Anschutz at all costs. I will tell you that the pay scale here is far below the Arizona nursing market, although you may not feel that hit as a new graduate. Let me know if you have any questions...I’m happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver