Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:47 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times

Advertisements

Franchise fee and not sales tax??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 09:06 PM

577 posts, read 1,475,667 times
I've only seen so far the franchise fees charged only by utility companies i.e. XCel.
And Comcast has clearly communicated that it is a sales tax.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 AM

1,406 posts, read 800,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
If Internet-only is what you have as a service with Comcast, would you mind telling what's the total amount payable for your $39.99 bill? And possibly a city or zip code. Thank you.
Would you mind sending me a link to the plan you are on (if you can find it)? I have an internet only plan that is costing me over $70 a month (with Xfinity, which is Comcast).

Old 11-24-2018, 11:55 AM

The service I'm having is called "Internet Performance Plus". Featuring 60 Mbs download and the usual 6 Mbs upload rate. Sometimes, at Comcast's discretion, they decide on their own to slightly increase the download rate (up to 75 Mbs). As some gesture of courtesy, or simply to entice you to want more.

The service is the first one listed to the left, on this page:
https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service

Actually priced lower ($29.99) than what I am charged ($49.95). Obviously for new customers only.
You know the drill: it's a whole negotiation, cat-and-mouse game. You have to counteract to all of their dirty and unethical "sales tactics" and find ingenious way to bring the cost down. Sometimes the measures can be as radical as cancelling the service completely and surviving without Internet for about a week. And then they will gladly re-establish your service and at a more agreeable price. Usually staying in touch with the offshore agents, via online chat works better.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
I've only seen so far the franchise fees charged only by utility companies i.e. XCel.
Again, broadband is new enough that it often falls outside the restrictions and demands of tariffed services like phone and energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Would you mind sending me a link to the plan you are on (if you can find it)? I have an internet only plan that is costing me over $70 a month (with Xfinity, which is Comcast).
Not sure what the plan is; I had the choice of 60/6 at $39.99 or something faster at $49.99; I think both go up $10 on month 13. It was on their services page, but I had to dig a little to get past all the bundled and super-speed stuff.

Quote:
The service I'm having is called "Internet Performance Plus". Featuring 60 Mbs download and the usual 6 Mbs upload rate.
That's what I have. I switched from my year with CenturyLink (40/5) when they jacked the rate from $55 net - I paid extra because I refused to allow autopay - to over $90. Fortunately the house was wired for both, I had the gear on the shelf and could do everything myself, no install fee or modem costs involved.

Pricing is a complete shell game, yes.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:08 PM

The city of Lafayette is mysteriously refusing to answer to my direct inquiry.

I have followed up, and insisting on asking them to provide me an answer. Without which I shall bring all the public media to their door. I'll be also contacting the State of Colorado Department of Revenue.

At this stage, I have a strong gut feeling that what's happening here is fraud and deceit.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The city of Lafayette is mysteriously refusing to answer to my direct inquiry.

I have followed up, and insisting on asking them to provide me an answer. Without which I shall bring all the public media to their door. I'll be also contacting the State of Colorado Department of Revenue.

At this stage, I have a strong gut feeling that what's happening here is fraud and deceit.
I'd doubt the first, and attribute the latter to ignorance and obfuscation. Exactly what did the City say to you?

Old 11-28-2018, 08:57 PM

The city has yet to answer.

I've only got this reply, from a private entity which Lafayette is contracting in order to collect / process all sale taxes (the company's name is MUNIREV.com) - the e-mail looked like a forward to some internal person from the city of Lafayette administration:

<<< Can you please review the below email about a tax assessed on an internet bill for Lafayette?

[the_real_name_for_smihaila]; the city will be able to clarify this tax you are seeing.

Thanks, [NameOfSomePersonAtMUNIREV]

The MUNIRevs Support Team
support@munirevs.com
888-751-1911 >>>

...and as you can see, the private (money pusher / leech) entity was unable to provide an explanation. Because well ... they are just the paper pushers who drain money from tax payers.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 AM

Okay, well, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. If Lafayette uses a service to handle their tax revenue (a smart move, incidentally, for civic entities of a certain size, like a business too big to do its own books using a CPA until it's big enough to need an accounting department), your inquiry is just lost among CS people who can't answer and experts who don't want to. Assuming it's some monstrous conspiracy is probably premature.

I'd just keep at them, with a clearly phrased question, until you get an answer.

If any part of your "taxes is theft" nonsense is leaking through, they will take much longer.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:43 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
For questions on city municipal code please contact the City of Lafayette at 303-665-5588 option 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver