U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,986,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
No, that's up by US 36/Sheridan which is far out of OP's price range. Crappy Westminster is the area around 72nd/Lowell, the part of town nobody ever goes to, because there isn't much there. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are Westminster residents that have never been over there. It really isn't that crappy IMO, but most people would consider it such. It's just very Latino, and not moneyed in any way, so......

I live nearby, and am there often. I do expect it to be ruined soon, however.
Quite nearby, what about Federal Heights, or the southern parts of Thornton? Similar? Northglenn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 08:52 AM

568 posts, read 1,044,592 times
Federal Heights seems to be a different animal since a lot of the housing stock seems to be less appealing. Westminster (the old part) seems to have a little more appeal right now over South Thornton and Northglenn since it is an easier commute to Boulder (and there aren't many cheap options between there and Boulder). Northglenn has a little bit of juice since it has some interesting houses, but I think interest will pick up in a few years as the N Line gets closer to launch.

Last edited by Augie Daugie; 11-28-2018 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 10:56 AM

437 posts, read 698,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You need to dig deeper
RTD - Commuter Rail
A difference which makes no difference in the context of this thread.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:37 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Quite nearby, what about Federal Heights, or the southern parts of Thornton? Similar? Northglenn?
Federal Heights - Mostly trailers. Thus, the few stick built houses that are actually there are probably completely overlooked by most people. There may be some good values in there, but the surrounding neighborhood will likely hold it back.

Thornton South - I don't know. What I think may help Westminster/Berkley is the proximity to Berkeley, and the rest of Denver proper. There is kind of a gap of industry between Thornton and any part of Denver people would want to be close to. The housing stock is kind of on the smaller end, which may end up being to its benefit.

Northglenn - I think it's just too far away, and too family oriented to see major price increases. The traffic towards town from there sure doesn't help.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:58 PM

21,002 posts, read 11,624,951 times
I know everyone loves to hate on Aurora but I'd suggest the Northwest part of Aurora. They are just about done with the Aurora Stapleton build out but there is still some residential and commercial construction to come in the area. I think between that and the proximity to Anschutz, that area will end up gentrifying (whether or not that's a good thing is of course open for debate!)

North of Montview is better than south - the homes seem well maintained and cared for. But getting tougher to find something under 300K, the prices drop as you go south.

Or East Colfax, which borders it but at your price point, you'd be looking at a small 2 bd/1 bath.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:08 PM

85 posts, read 41,256 times
after biking through to villa park, i have decided i'm not ready to hit the burbs just yet. -- perhaps it's good to stay flexible (I have 900/month rent right now, month to month, in a one bedroom downtown -- fixed rate since i moved in!).

Villa Park looks like it might turn into highlands someday....... but.......

Is a condo in cap-hill suicide?

Old 11-28-2018, 08:11 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
A difference which makes no difference in the context of this thread.
For a pedantic engineer, all the difference in the world.

For example, read sentence #2 of https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/t...in-denver.html

Old 11-28-2018, 10:20 PM

114 posts, read 55,229 times
Your best profit potential right now is probably in northeast/east Aurora. There's a lot of business heading towards the airport and if the Aurora Highland project develops that will be a big boon for that area. It won't be an interesting place to live in your 20s but there is a lot of financial upside.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:46 AM

568 posts, read 1,044,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
after biking through to villa park, i have decided i'm not ready to hit the burbs just yet. -- perhaps it's good to stay flexible (I have 900/month rent right now, month to month, in a one bedroom downtown -- fixed rate since i moved in!).

Villa Park looks like it might turn into highlands someday....... but.......

Is a condo in cap-hill suicide?
Biggest downside to a Cap Hill condo is that a lot of the units in older buildings carry an additional $300-400/mo HOA fee (or sometimes even higher). When you consider that two bedroom condos in Cap Hill start in the high $200s, your monthly is going to be pretty steep for what you get. Detached homes tend to perform better over time, but there will always be demand for housing near downtown...so I wouldn't call it suicide by any means.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:05 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 19 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,310,762 times
There is an upside and a downside to every situation. All depends on your risk adversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or