Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:37 PM

17,680 posts, read 29,620,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
@dave, why do you say lightrail is never going to arvada? There appears to be a line being tested as we speak, no?
RTD
You need to dig deeper
RTD - Commuter Rail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 03:55 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,817,265 times
SW Denver and Lakewood.

Berkley (notice the missing E) and the crappy part of Westminster as wild cards IMO.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:10 PM

194 posts, read 271,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
SW Denver and Lakewood.

Berkley (notice the missing E) and the crappy part of Westminster as wild cards IMO.
Is crappy Westminster where they are building the new "downtown". That might not be a bad idea. You have the B line commuter rail one stop to Union Station and to Boulder in 2080. But seriously east of the "downtown" area was priced lower than Arvada & Denver last time I looked, homes need a lot of work though.

Also, there are some rural feel type homes with land at the end of the G commuter line, by the Ward station.

The end of the N line might not be bad either. Again, commuter rail... I think B,G,N are a good idea to investigate as the commuter rail service operates at higher speeds and level boarding is nice for bikers. Light rail is so slow (take the W end to end and you'll understand). If you really believe they will build out "B" there are probably a lot of opportunities to be had along the line.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/b-line-future.shtml

Last edited by tcbelvis; 11-27-2018 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 08:41 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,817,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
Is crappy Westminster where they are building the new "downtown".
No, that's up by US 36/Sheridan which is far out of OP's price range. Crappy Westminster is the area around 72nd/Lowell, the part of town nobody ever goes to, because there isn't much there. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are Westminster residents that have never been over there. It really isn't that crappy IMO, but most people would consider it such. It's just very Latino, and not moneyed in any way, so......

I live nearby, and am there often. I do expect it to be ruined soon, however.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:29 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,613,668 times
I think Denver has reached “done” stage. I know someone who works for a business that does fix and flips and they are working in the Cincinnati and Kansas City markets which they feel are still a deal.
If I had to buy in Denver and did not want to get hurt, I would buy where new builds are going in. It creates more competition for existing houses and makes the existing houses look less attractive. Buy an existing house that needs work, remodel it and then sit on it for 5-7 years.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:45 AM

235 posts, read 353,042 times
How much value you may or may not build is always a crapshoot. Denver metro has been breaking new market highs for years, and only just now have things backed off (a bit). If a recession/depression hits (and most economists believe exactly that will happen in the next couple years) prices will fall (and depending on the severity of the downturn) may fall hard for some time. For this reason (and many others) I recommend you first look for a house you’d also enjoy calling home. If things go south it’s much easier to ride it out if you’re in a place you enjoy. If you only buy for investment potential (and that potential doesn’t develop) you could well lose years of your life tethered to an unwanted albatross.

As someone else said, the total monthly payment (don’t forget to include taxes and insurance premiums) matters more than total price. Don’t let anyone talk you into overextending. Beware of adjustable rate mortgages. Interest rates can go up a lot more than they can fall at this point. And they’ve been on the upswing for some time. There’s no indication that won’t continue in the coming year. If you can get a fixed rate, that’s good as rates overall are still quite low (around 5% on a 30 year fixed). Being open to the roommate option is a great choice. That can help you save a ton (which you can save for repairs / improvements .. and there WILL be repairs). And then who knows ... after 5-7 years you may be sitting on a huge pile of equity. Or not. Nothing’s ever guaranteed. Which is why speculation is such a dangerous game.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:32 AM

177 posts, read 174,412 times
Thoughts on athmar park?

Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,927,772 times
Quote:
No, that's up by US 36/Sheridan which is far out of OP's price range. Crappy Westminster is the area around 72nd/Lowell, the part of town nobody ever goes to, because there isn't much there. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are Westminster residents that have never been over there. It really isn't that crappy IMO, but most people would consider it such. It's just very Latino, and not moneyed in any way, so......

Basically Westminster HS

Old 11-28-2018, 07:52 AM

618 posts, read 1,360,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
Thoughts on athmar park?
Athmar Park is nice, which is why the prices have jumped. The blocks along the westside of the neighborhood have cute brick ranches, bungalows and tudors---and a lot of these homes run north of $400K now. You can find a small house (single story 800sf) or a fixer for around $350K still. As you move south and east in the neighborhood, there are a lot of single story vinyl (hardie, if updated) sided ranches. The homes have less curb appeal, but there are quite a few that have stunning views of the city skyline as it sits on a hill. The neighborhood is a great cheap-ish option for living close to downtown, but I wouldn't say its quite "up-and-coming" anymore. Added bonus, this neighborhood is great if you like tacos and dim sum, like me.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:01 AM

618 posts, read 1,360,511 times
Quote:

There's a really nice housing stock in this part of Westminster. It reminds me of the Lamar Heights area of Arvada ~10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver