U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 09:56 PM

8 posts, read 5,412 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm moving from Chicago with my fiance next year around February and my main concern right now is finding a place to live that's safe, around 30 minutes or less commute to work and with some things to do. My job will be in the River North Art District. I'm looking for a place with 2 bedrooms with a price range being 1400-1800. I've been doing a lot of research and have been to Denver for vacations plenty of times but most of the time it has been for a day or two with the remaining time spent in the mountains so I'm not too familiar with the area. I do plan on going down there sometime in late December early January to do some more scouting, but in the meantime I'm trying to narrow down my list to a few locations. Right now from all the researching I've done, Arvada seems like a good option, but I would welcome any other suggestions.

Couple more things. My fiance just graduated with her Masters in Nursing and will eventually be looking for a job. We're both active and enjoy outdoor activities and we will most likely be going hiking/skiing frequently on the weekends. We do enjoy going out occasionally, but we're at the age (32, 29) where we don't really care much for night life but do enjoy dining out from time to time and enjoy museums, concerts, festivals.

Again any feedback is welcome!

Thank you very much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:05 PM

568 posts, read 1,045,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoiren22 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm moving from Chicago with my fiance next year around February and my main concern right now is finding a place to live that's safe, around 30 minutes or less commute to work and with some things to do. My job will be in the River North Art District. I'm looking for a place with 2 bedrooms with a price range being 1400-1800. I've been doing a lot of research and have been to Denver for vacations plenty of times but most of the time it has been for a day or two with the remaining time spent in the mountains so I'm not too familiar with the area. I do plan on going down there sometime in late December early January to do some more scouting, but in the meantime I'm trying to narrow down my list to a few locations. Right now from all the researching I've done, Arvada seems like a good option, but I would welcome any other suggestions.

Couple more things. My fiance just graduated with her Masters in Nursing and will eventually be looking for a job. We're both active and enjoy outdoor activities and we will most likely be going hiking/skiing frequently on the weekends. We do enjoy going out occasionally, but we're at the age (32, 29) where we don't really care much for night life but do enjoy dining out from time to time and enjoy museums, concerts, festivals.

Again any feedback is welcome!

Thank you very much!
If you enjoy going out to eat, you'll be happiest somewhere in the City of Denver. If you can find a place in Berkeley or Highland, you'll have access to great places to eat, museums, and other events, while still located on the west side for easy access to the mountains (plus it's a much easier commute). Arvada is okay if you live near Old Town, but you will probably find yourself driving to the city frequently to try the hip spots.

That said, it may be hard to find something decent under $1,800 in a 2 bedroom....soooo maybe Arvada?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:23 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,209,894 times
If you're not big on nightlife then Arvada is probably a decent fit. It's close enough to downtown, and your fiance may be able to get on at St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood.

Some light reading here. Not sure how much you'll get out of it seeing as you've been here a few times before, but it never hurts to check it out.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:00 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,815,907 times
What about Golden? Close to the mountains and decent low key nightlife.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
What about Golden? Close to the mountains and decent low key nightlife.
Any ideas how long the commute is from Golden to Denver M-F during rush hours?

Old 12-01-2018, 08:11 PM

13,958 posts, read 20,226,589 times
I would wait until mid March before moving.
That will give you a final time to enjoy Winter in Chicago.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:37 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,815,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoiren22 View Post
Any ideas how long the commute is from Golden to Denver M-F during rush hours?
Probably 20-25 mins.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would wait until mid March before moving.
That will give you a final time to enjoy Winter in Chicago.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Probably 20-25 mins.

That's not bad at all! Will definitely look into Golden, ty!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:28 AM

730 posts, read 386,283 times
More in the city of Denver itself:
Lowry, city center concept, new builds, nice rentals and houses, older tree lined streets, more central. Very walkable.
Cherry Creek, expensive, central, trees, loaded with restaurants.
Belmar like Lowry, but much smaller. More urban area.
If light rail is important, lots of options along the light rail corridors, both south, west and southwest. Golden as mentioned above, Littleton, Bellview Station, Landmark, Lone Tree, Ridegate. All of these have restaurants, parks, walkable, plenty of retail and easy access to highways west for weekends.

If I were moving to Denver now, I would live close to light rail. The traffic is only getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or