U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:54 AM

1,201 posts, read 592,251 times

Advertisements

Another question... where do y’all go to get out of town? I know the mountains are really close and the other cities in the state like Colorado Springs. Is Phoenix close? Is Colorado Springs within a 3 hour drive? Idk anything about the surrounding areas, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 01:29 AM

878 posts, read 465,766 times
Denver is pretty much whatever you want it to be. It is a corporate town on one hand, but also has elements of the Wild West about it.

Not far from the Continental Divide, it is located where warm, humid air from the gulf starts to mix with cold air flowing down from the Rockies. As a result, if you love to observe interesting weather, Denver is a great place. 4 defined seasons and you get everything from subzero to 100+°, blizzards, heavy thunderstorms. But it's true that MOST of the time the weather is great, until it's not for a day or two. Not far east of Denver is the beginning of Tornado Alley.

My overall impression after 4 years in the area is that it is a perfectly great place to live that has almost everything that the average person would need to live a good quality of life. It seems like one of those places that you meet people from everywhere except Denver itself. Because it's in the middle of the country it still has a Midwestern feel in some ways, with a little California thrown in. I would live there again.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:33 AM

13,953 posts, read 20,213,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
. Is Phoenix close?.
Yes.
It is only 900 miles away by car.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:49 AM

83 posts, read 37,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattedCOdude View Post
This is actually a thing...at least for me it was. After living at or below sea level for many years, my first year here was spent gasping for breath at times. Didn't help I was carrying way to much xtra weight . Have since gotten in better shape and am now used to the altitude. Even today I'll huff and puff up on Trail Ridge Rd. tho.
Are you referring to say 10k+ altitude?
I don't notice a difference moving from sea level to DEN. But I haven't yet been hiking.

A few weeks ago I got super winded in this training program I'm doing, it's strength and conditioning for ski/snowboarding season. I wanted to blame "altitude" but, 5280 is not really altitude by most standards. And also I'd already been in CO for 3 1/2 mos. straight. We were given a no-equipment workout to do the week of Thanksgiving and I was back at sea level for that one. And still got just as winded...so I guess endurance is just not my forte.

Quote:
Another question... where do y’all go to get out of town? I know the mountains are really close and the other cities in the state like Colorado Springs. Is Phoenix close? Is Colorado Springs within a 3 hour drive? Idk anything about the surrounding areas, obviously.
I knew someone in undergrad (I was in Denver for undergrad as well) who drove to CA to go to the beach over the weekend. If I remember correctly it was just a typical weekend. Came back on Monday and posted Facebook photos like, "we went to the beach". I thought it was the weirdest thing haha.

I don't think that's very common, but driving somewhat long distances (~300-500 mi) on weekends throughout the state/region is a bit more so. Other examples I can think of are Moab, Grand Junction, Durango, Telluride, Estes Park, various areas of southern WY and northern NM....and if someone drives to southern CA just to go to the beach then I'm sure there are crazies out there who do the same with Vegas..

Springs seems like a common one too, it's about 70 miles, similar to Estes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Yes.
It is only 900 miles away by car.
I can't tell if this is a joke or not... due to what I just described.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:10 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,819,630 times
Quote:
Another question... where do y’all go to get out of town?
FYI, we don't say "y'all" here, except some of the TX transplants.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:48 AM

517 posts, read 257,404 times
Regarding the altitude, I never had any problems in the city, or even in the mountains most of the time. However, even after living there for decades, there were a couple of times I did become ill while in the mountains due to the altitude. I had been to all of those places many times before and after, and had not gotten sick.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 AM

13,953 posts, read 20,213,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post
I can't tell if this is a joke or not... due to what I just described.
I never joke.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:36 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,127,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post

So the biggest stereotype I that I think is truth, is that east coasters are "ruder" and generally more neurotic and competitive. Sometimes seemingly for no reason other than they've been conditioned to be that way, haha, due to over-saturation (that applies to job markets, infrastructure, social events.. pretty much everything). Why people would intentionally want to be that way, I'll probably never understand. (I swear some east coasters have Stockholm Syndrome...)

Not sure where Denver would fall into the stereotypes, though. It's kind of a melting pot, in more ways than one... There seem to be a lot of Midwest and CA transplants, and it has a bit of a mixed vibe of both places, I think. It's also more culturally homogeneous, at least in my experience compared to NYC, in terms of demographics. As in, there's not as much identity politics going on (which I think is a positive, but that depends if you're into that scene or not...) So your gender/race/sexual orientation/insert label here isn't as relevant to your lifestyle, as just the fact that you live here is going to dictate that.

To me, it doesn't feel "coastal"...if that makes sense...until you try to compare it to the Midwest (or even, for example, inland PA). Then you start noticing where the west coast influence is. Of course, there's also the Rocky Mountain West influence but that's mixed in as well... I have been to Phoenix and that felt more purely "western". It's hard to describe.

I looked at going to school in Pittsburgh, and while CO is landlocked, Pitts just "felt" more landlocked and stereotypically Midwestern. Maybe that is the CA influence here, or maybe it's because Pitt still has some of the weather and pop. density of an east coast city so it comes off less...breathable? Who knows.

As far as outdoorsy stuff, I don't think you need to be into any of that. A lot of people talk about it, meet each other that way and such, so there is a social advantage I think to having some interest. Honestly, Denver would not have been my first choice place to live because it still is a bit removed from nature and the outdoor culture. I have to see mountains or remind myself sometimes where I am, lol. Because of the obligations of being a grad student, I've acquired "FOMO", I feel there's so much of Colorado I'm missing out on....

So, hypothetically, you could just live here, do the 9-5 urban working life routine, and stay indoors for like 90% of your day. My dream home is more "cabin in the mountains" (more realistically, probably a western suburb of Denver), so that's not really my thing...but yeah, you can pretty much go as indoor or outdoor as you want.

You got it right that East Coasters are competitive, but I disagree that we are all neurotic. Some of my East Coast friends are so neurotic that they have heart machines to monitor their pulses at 30 years old. We are however pretty aggressive verbally and mentally which isn't really a problem in say Los Angeles (where I live now) but did rub some the wrong way in Denver. I think it comes down more to senses of humor as well. People aren't overly sarcastic out there so off color jokes don't always fly, mostly by Millennial's who are overly PC out of the gate. That recent term "NPC" really describes a lot of the transplants in Denver well.

I feel like Denver definitely has a lot of Midwest influence as a lot of people have moved recently but also historically from there. Hence why I say there is a Passive Aggressive element as well. Not as bad as Minneapolis where they thrive on it but it's closer to that than people think. To me it's like a "Yosemite Sam" type cartoon - very much of an "old western" type vibe like a Boise, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
We have all these wise guys / gals on this forum who are over 40 who love to claim that CO in general is perfectly balanced. They aren't on the scene, they just like to make comments. But at 20-30, it's totally male dominated. Just got back from the Christmas party at my apartment complex. Tried to talk to about 10 girls, only 1 (under 40 at least ) responded back with a conversation. During the time when we were on the silent disco dance floor, 4 different guys came up, started to dance, and try to hit on her with us there. That's your typical night out in Denver. You can tell the difference if you go to somewhere like DC or Louisiana.

That's a very accurate way to describe it. Denver is not a good town for 20-30s male hustlers at all. Also I've never seen so many good looking women dating men below their class both mentally and physically. And also right about getting ignored by women too - that should be happening at a Hollywood Club and not at a sleepy Denver Dive bar but I've witnessed more of the latter.

Last edited by N610DL; 12-09-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 03:21 PM

5,328 posts, read 2,766,067 times
Quote:
I was starting to think it must snow an awful lot/ often!
Weather in the Front Range varies hugely. There were entire years with virtually no snow, others when it snowed roughly every other day for many months. Don’t expect anything resembling predictability.

Sand and salt were largely phased out on major roads, due to both suspended air particles (pollution violations) and cracked windshields galore. However, some roads still get sand and salt, because mag chloride doesn’t prevent icing below about 15 degrees. In my old foothills neighborhood, all we got was sand and salt.

Mike FBE’s description of the mag chloride sprayers is accurate. I had the bad luck to be on a highway, stopped at a red light, when a sprayer in the other lane suddenly shot out a thick stream (not a spray) of the stuff. It splashed all over cars nearby. NASTY stuff. It is corrosive, hard to wash off, AND it kills roadside vegetation.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:05 PM

86,892 posts, read 102,330,852 times
Re:. altitude sickness: Altitude.org | Altitude Sickness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or