U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 08:50 PM

738 posts, read 394,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Ha! We do actually have a poster, himan, who works in tires. She’ll echo my sentiments. You guys have no idea what you’re missing. Imagine running track in penny loafers your whole life because you didn’t know Nikes existed. You’d think you were “just fine” until you put some new shoes on.

If you’re even mildly interested there are dozens of videos on YouTube showing 2wd vehicles with studless winter tires besting awd vehicles with all season tires.
Maybe we can all hook up with DaveBarnes, drink and watch tire videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 PM

6,937 posts, read 6,545,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Maybe we can all hook up with DaveBarnes, drink and watch tire videos.
Now THAT sounds like a party!

Old 12-16-2018, 10:38 PM

6,937 posts, read 6,545,853 times
I reread the Outside article I posted a few years ago. The very end is so funny to me now because after reading all these threads it’s absolutely true:

Quote:

He’s frank about what a challenge it is to convince people they need to invest in winter tires. You can explain that all-seasons stop working below 40 degrees. You can explain that you need winter tires in order to stop and turn on snow and ice. Countless web videos demonstrate that, on snow and ice, an AWD car on all-seasons can’t out-accelerate a rear-wheel drive car on winter tires. But until people try them, they just don’t understand what a night and day difference we’re really talking about here. Rogers also notes one other finding from his decades of experience: “We know once a customer tries winter tires in real winter conditions, they’re never going to go back.”

“We’re all better off if we have good traction,” Rogers concludes. “As I drive around on appropriate tires, I don’t have to worry about what I can drive through, I have to worry about the people around me. The people behind me who can’t stop; the people who can’t steer to avoid a hazard. Please, Mr. and Mrs. Reader, do the rest of us a favor and be on winter tires.”

Old 12-17-2018, 10:26 AM

12,277 posts, read 8,079,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Or, stay home that day and drink.
That is what I do.
Of course, I stay home every day.
But, I only drink extra on snow days.
I completely agree and support this post.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:14 PM

319 posts, read 150,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If you’re living at that elevation I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t just get snow tires. Are you going to put your chains on every day when you drive down a slightly snowy road? Of course not. Chains are not very useful and extremely cumbersome.

Again, the only people who are anti winter tire are people who haven’t owned them. They have no idea how much traction they’re giving up. There is no reasonable argument against having the proper equipment. I own 4WD vehicles and still run studless winter tires because I like being able to stop just as well as I can go. AWD that can get you moving without having the proper traction to help you stop is dangerous.
Point understood. Let me add I am retired. I don't have to go to town every day to go to work or to go the the grocery store. And on a snowy day, I am not going to drive over to see Dave Barnes so we can drink together. Dave will have to drink alone . . . at least not with me.

This is my first year in retirement and in Colorado. I am weighing options . . . the chains were only for the first year (suggested by another person in the neighborhood who used chains only for their first year). The house isn't finished . . . and I might not even be able to move into until spring 2019. So no imperative for me to act now.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 PM

14,011 posts, read 20,317,250 times
Be smart.
Come to my house the night before.
We have an extra bedroom.
Then, wake up and enjoy the snow and the beverage consumption.
Boy Scout’s motto.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:45 PM

1,303 posts, read 434,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
AWD is great and I wouldn’t drive in Colorado without it. During one of the recent small storms, I was driving up a small hill. There was a front wheel drive Fiat and a rear wheel drive Mercedes that could not make it up the hill. They were in the right lane both spinning their wheels. I casually pulled around both and continued on my way. Peace of mind.
This has been my experience too, as someone who drives a FWD car. Black ice on our hilly terrain is what I'm mostly worried about, not the snow. And commuting home after work when melted snow starts freezing over is when the issues happen.

Outside of that, I haven't had issues with FWD, good tires and chains (for the mountains). Truthfully, anyone who goes into the mountains during the winters should have chains, as a backup at least if they don't have dedicated snow tires. My GF's Forester got stuck two years back in snowpack that turned ice, while my FWD car with chains got through just fine.

My next car will be AWD hands down.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:19 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,940,887 times
As for me, I agree with Davebarnes: If it snows, stay home and drink. Sounds like a plan.

As for my daughter who works in Denver and is a nurse who must make it to work every morning, we buy a set of Blizzaks. On an icy road, that will cut the stopping distance by two thirds; and that could easily prevent a collision.

One collision costs much more than 4 winter tires.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:19 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,136,931 times
IMHO, Subaru's are highly overrated. My friend in NJ had a Forrester from 2007 (not the base model either) with Boxster engine that he sank a lot of money into over the years to keep it afloat.

Nothing was funnier than seeing the next morning after a massive snowstorm around Christmas time in Denver 2 years ago where it got down to below zero and seeing these new Subaru's not even start up in the AM. My '03 Saab sedan I didn't think would either but nope, it did, and I was like Ace Ventura "IT'S ALIVE!". Lot's of cars were having problems that day because it only got into the single digits.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM

1,303 posts, read 434,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
IMHO, Subaru's are highly overrated. My friend in NJ had a Forrester from 2007 (not the base model either) with Boxster engine that he sank a lot of money into over the years to keep it afloat.

Nothing was funnier than seeing the next morning after a massive snowstorm around Christmas time in Denver 2 years ago where it got down to below zero and seeing these new Subaru's not even start up in the AM. My '03 Saab sedan I didn't think would either but nope, it did, and I was like Ace Ventura "IT'S ALIVE!". Lot's of cars were having problems that day because it only got into the single digits.
The older 2.5L engines had issues with head gaskets. The newer ones fixed that issue.

Subaru has a best-in-class AWD system and for the most part, they're one of the most reliable cars in the long run -- that's why you see a lot of older Outbacks and Foresters on the road, along with CR-V's and Rav4's.

That said, they've been playing catch up (IMHO) with creature-comforts. The new 2019 Forester is a step in the right direction, however the interior still feels.... plain in comparison to others in the segment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver