Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times

Advertisements

Working 10-12 hours a day every day is a big impediment to meeting people and doing things. Sure you can work in a few hours a week at a bar or museum or something, but it will limit where you can go and what you can do. Making friends does take effort and it isn't always paid back, especially in a mobile city like Denver. So expect a number of false starts.

The suggestion to work a part time job is interesting. Volunteering at others places can do this, as can taking some fluff classes at a community college. I think 90% of the volunteers I've meet at the local animal shelter were all women, fwiw. Heck, even lookign at clubs, groups, and facilities around things you already like to do can get you in front of like minded people.

While Denver does have a very active outdoor culture, it does have other things to do within the metro as well. Flag football, pickleball, basketball spin classes, softball, etc are all things that can help with face to face interaction, and can be done within minutes of many locations.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 AM

242 posts, read 251,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Other employees or customers?
Other employees, usually college students that are working part time. At the time I was basically working from home like 15-20 hours a week. I’m either out of town working ridiculous hours, or I sit at home and take phone calls and respond to emails, both pay the same. Ha

Back then I didn’t know anyone here and I was bored. I’m still friends with 3-4 of them that have went on to their careers.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:08 AM

91 posts, read 83,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I also notice people tend to not say hello and turn their face.
Before I moved, this song described my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSabHEWbmc

Only to find out that it was in fact meant to describe the alienation of urban life through a metaphor of the London tube.

But yeah, I think this is a general modern-day city thing now. At least above the Mason-Dixon line. So far, anyone I've asked that moved here from somewhere in the southern US thinks Denver is less "friendly". My perspective is the opposite coming from the northeast.

My understanding of Colorado "social etiquette" was that there kind of isn't one? haha. I suck at meeting people too. But I've lived here once before and always found friends best by basically not trying. I think there is a common mentality (or maybe this only applies to certain parts of the US) that if you want to make friends as an adult you need to make an effort. In my mind, if it feels like an effort it's not a real foundation for a friendship so you're wasting your time or you're not in the right environment. Or that's my lazy introvert brain talking.

The phone number thing is odd, can't say I've encountered that. And it's other men doing that? Whenever I've exchanged numbers with someone, it was because we were potentially going to make plans to meet and do something - not that it ended up happening every single time. My situation may be different because I met people through a Master's program.

I also wish I could make male friends more easily. I think because our program is majority female (with the exception of the concentration I'm in which is either 50/50 or more male, but also pretty small and according to one of my friends, I never really connected with them because they just like to get trashed every weekend, lol). So, that might be part of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think it can be hard to meet people to form lasting friendships when you're an adult in general. The best ways to do it almost always seem to be through getting involved with others in something you like doing - whether that be a sport, gaming, book study, church, hobby, volunteering, etc. It does take a bit of time, usually.
I think this is even more so the case in Colorado, people seem to connect a lot around liking similar activities. Not necessarily outdoor ones, because if you're talking about Denver, there's stuff around the city as well that people like to do pretty regularly. Also, as an adult I think friendships (especially genuine ones) just form more slowly. There are more layers to a person. (Well, with some exceptions, lol.) So it just takes longer to know someone well.

Last edited by NinjaHitsAWall; 01-11-2019 at 03:16 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 03:07 PM

850 posts, read 796,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO it's the same in most places. People are pre-occupied with THEIR stuff, they will converse a while then that's the end of it....just small talk to most of them...a pleasant moment while out and about. I do this in the grocery checkout line, a quick chat, then ta-ta and cheerio old chap.
Its like that everywhere nowadays, I live in CA and people are nice and polite, but busy cause of Cost living and sprawl. Condensed cities are better for social activities like chicago\ny.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
As I say, my mind is boggled. No where have I been where someone acts that friendly and then just blows you off like yesterday's garbage.
Somewhat off tangent, but this sounds exactly like San Diego.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I have noted cultural similarities between the two cities myself.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
A CO native friend who had moved to SD for career reasons told us, on a return visit to Denver, that people in his new home area were more like activity buddies than all ‘round friends. They would go with some people to do certain things but not really hang out with them otherwise.

I suspect that people are so busy with work, long commutes, and family that they just place high value on squeezing the most out of their downtime. Ergo, socializing just for the sake of getting to know people may not make it onto the schedule. And I totally get it, remembering how I used to schedule my offtime in increments as small as 15 minutes sometimes. That doesn’t leave time for people, who often have a way of taking up lots of other people’s time.

However, I still say that spending hrs in a bar with the goal of making friends is still time used up. Being too goal-oriented with respect to “making” friends is a big turnoff.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 AM

824 posts, read 705,177 times
middle age, early retirement the bet is you have lost the insecurity of high school. That person knows his skills. If the individual is not too self limiting will continue to develop.

It is important to be the confidant and approachable individual but the family is #1.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:17 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:

San Diego is Denver with a beach and the same types of people.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
San Diego is Denver with a beach and the same types of people.
I never really thought about it but you guys are dead on.

I would add that south Denver (Highlands Ranch, Littleton, Cherry hills village) feels identical to Orange County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver