Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I choose San Diego or Denver?
Should I stay in San Diego? 43 86.00%
Should I move to Denver? 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 08:30 PM

850 posts, read 795,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
Hey all , I’m a young kid , 21 years old who just moved cross country from Norfolk ,VA to America’s finest city, San Diego. San Diego is a very beautiful, awesome place but the longer I stay here the more I keep thinking what could’ve been if I had chose Denver which I almost moved to instead. Probably would’ve been a bad move as the end of March is still prone to snow but I drive a truck so I would’ve been fine.

I’ve visted Denver when I was stationed in COS at fort Carson twice but that was it. It was only a day or so.

I did a lot of research before deciding on San Diego but the main deciding factor for me was the music prescence here ( musician here) and job industry because of the shipyards. Plenty of good paying trades to get into and plenty of scaffold work which is what I’m doing to tide me over until I learn a real trade.

It really is the best city in California without a doubt, very easy going friendly people. Rich, upper middle class, lower class , it doesn’t matter we all come together for a good time. Traffic is very good for a city of its size too. Easy to avoid the rush hour commute.

Something in the back of my head ( heart rather) is telling me I should’ve went to co instead. I love the ocean and living by the coast but I’m a mountain boy at heart , I grew up in Montana until I was about 10 and miss the Rockies. I miss having that outdoors stuff right in my back yard. I was estatic when found out I got orders to ft Carson when I was in the army. I honestly think living next to the ocean is overrated. Other than swimming and fishing there isn’t much you can do unlike

Even the things I thought I wouldn’t miss I know I’m gonna kinda miss. Seasons, snow, the afternoon thunderstorms, ect. Sure it’s cold but that’s what carhartt jackets are for. It’s okay, the cold and mountains will put hair on your chest.

I’ve only been here over a month so I’m still settling in still and will give SD a chance but there’s something so mystical about the aspeny mountain feel of Colorado. It’s hard to describe.

COL isn’t really that big of a deal to me but Denver still has places that are reasonably priced and that’s even on apartments.com. San Diego is more and for a city in SoCal it definately isn’t bad trust me.

Another good selling point is since I want to be an ibew electrician the two locals out there are hurting a lot more than San Diego’s local. The journeyman in Denver make 40 $ hr last I checked and it’s only 5$ less than here in San Diego.

Anyway is Denver a good fit for me ? Is my subconscious right in thinking I’d like it better ? Not trying to step on any natives toes , I’m a centrist and vote slightly conservative but I’m a pretty laid back dude and will make friends with anyone. Pretty libertarian actually. Another thing I love about SD. I’m from VA , so I’m not a Californian bringing my extremely liberal politics to the state lol.
Hey I moved to California also, but I have friends and family here, but was set on Colorado also because it reminds me of the midwest, California is great , but so expensive and lots of rules and regulations. Your young so give California a try, if it doesn't work out you can always move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 09:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Get your career underway and high wages while in CA, THEN seek nirvana.

I lived and worked in CO during my apprenticeship and spent a few yrs working out of SD. CO can be very lacking in skilled trade apprenticeships / jobs... and very Feast or Famine in careers that will have a lifetime of feast or famine (Energy jobs).

Once you have a journeyman card, look to where you can best meet your overall objectives. (income, jobs, Cost of living, interests)

Music + outdoor centric,you will have a lot of choices. If outdoor centric and using a J-o-b to support your habits... consider income tax free states and night shift employment (Higher wages, fewer bosses).

There is a LOT to do in coastal areas that also have Mtns.
WA and AK are coastal and mtns + both are income tax free. (and high wages)

If under age 31... I would be in NZ!

Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 AM

158 posts, read 144,190 times
You need to give San Diego at least a year before moving. 1 month is no where near enough time to know if a place will work out or not. If after a year you still aren’t vibing with it, then consider Denver. However remember this rule when moving: always move to go towards something, not to run away from something. Good luck

Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,965,859 times
I'm a bit confused. You say you did a lot of research before moving to San Diego, but you're also saying your job prospects aren't that good, it's not as easy to go camping and such as you'd like, etc. Did your research not tell you these things? If even a place you've extensively researched can't make you happy, I don't imagine moving somewhere else would, either. And how much income do you have at 21 that you can afford to do cross-country moves every couple months without batting an eyelash??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
You are 21. give it the 2 year plan. Give the place a chance! Some people don't leave their hometown till they are 27!

The aspeny feel of colorado is lovely, but it's not denver.
Some people never leave their hometown. Some don't even want to. But, I guess some people's hometowns are the types maybe one doesn't need to leave.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You sound like someone who's prone to thinking wistfully of the road not taken, whichever road you do choose.

And I don't know where you got the idea, that Denver is reasonably priced. I guess it depends on what you compare it to, but the tech industry has been driving rents up, and RE prices up. Also, the outdoor recreation isn't right outside your door. It's a big city, and it takes some driving to get to mountains, hiking, skiing.

You're in San Diego. You should relax and enjoy where you're at. Enjoy the water while you have it close by. You'll start to miss it, after you've been in the high plateau of CO. There's also the long Denver winters to be concerned with.

Construction isn't just about learning basics. The better pay is when you get a journeyman's license. That requires college coursework, advanced math, learning building codes, and electrical or plumbing. It's not easy.

Just a few things to think about.
Great post

OP my two cents: give it at least one year in San Diego.
(Unless something horrific happens.)
You haven't been there long enough to form an opinion.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM

400 posts, read 448,876 times
Quote:
Hey all , I’m a young kid , 21 years old who just moved cross country from Norfolk ,VA to America’s finest city, San Diego. San Diego is a very beautiful, awesome place but the longer I stay here the more I keep thinking what could’ve been if I had chose Denver which I almost moved to instead. Probably would’ve been a bad move as the end of March is still prone to snow but I drive a truck so I would’ve been fine.

I’ve visted Denver when I was stationed in COS at fort Carson twice but that was it. It was only a day or so.

I did a lot of research before deciding on San Diego but the main deciding factor for me was the music prescence here ( musician here) and job industry because of the shipyards. Plenty of good paying trades to get into and plenty of scaffold work which is what I’m doing to tide me over until I learn a real trade.

It really is the best city in California without a doubt, very easy going friendly people. Rich, upper middle class, lower class , it doesn’t matter we all come together for a good time. Traffic is very good for a city of its size too. Easy to avoid the rush hour commute.

Something in the back of my head ( heart rather) is telling me I should’ve went to co instead. I love the ocean and living by the coast but I’m a mountain boy at heart , I grew up in Montana until I was about 10 and miss the Rockies. I miss having that outdoors stuff right in my back yard. I was estatic when found out I got orders to ft Carson when I was in the army. I honestly think living next to the ocean is overrated. Other than swimming and fishing there isn’t much you can do unlike

Even the things I thought I wouldn’t miss I know I’m gonna kinda miss. Seasons, snow, the afternoon thunderstorms, ect. Sure it’s cold but that’s what carhartt jackets are for. It’s okay, the cold and mountains will put hair on your chest.

I’ve only been here over a month so I’m still settling in still and will give SD a chance but there’s something so mystical about the aspeny mountain feel of Colorado. It’s hard to describe.

COL isn’t really that big of a deal to me but Denver still has places that are reasonably priced and that’s even on apartments.com. San Diego is more and for a city in SoCal it definately isn’t bad trust me.

Another good selling point is since I want to be an ibew electrician the two locals out there are hurting a lot more than San Diego’s local. The journeyman in Denver make 40 $ hr last I checked and it’s only 5$ less than here in San Diego.

Anyway is Denver a good fit for me ? Is my subconscious right in thinking I’d like it better ? Not trying to step on any natives toes , I’m a centrist and vote slightly conservative but I’m a pretty laid back dude and will make friends with anyone. Pretty libertarian actually. Another thing I love about SD. I’m from VA , so I’m not a Californian bringing my extremely liberal politics to the state lol.

Didn't you cross post this in the Seattle forum and asked about moving to SEA as well?

Old 05-07-2019, 01:01 PM

400 posts, read 448,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Update: OP, Tulemutt (the one with the boat in SD) says he'll take ya on, if you want to experience sailing. I imagine it's outside of your experience, since you're from Montana. It might take a little getting used to at first, but it can be pretty exciting, once you have your sea legs.
OP take this opportunity! I learned to sail in New Orleans and it's one of the most challenging and rewarding sports. Whether just cruising or Wednesday night "beer can" races.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:34 AM

243 posts, read 228,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'm a bit confused. You say you did a lot of research before moving to San Diego, but you're also saying your job prospects aren't that good, it's not as easy to go camping and such as you'd like, etc. Did your research not tell you these things? If even a place you've extensively researched can't make you happy, I don't imagine moving somewhere else would, either. And how much income do you have at 21 that you can afford to do cross-country moves every couple months without batting an eyelash??

Some people never leave their hometown. Some don't even want to. But, I guess some people's hometowns are the types maybe one doesn't need to leave.
Well there are a few ranges close but they’re not the same as something you would find in CO. My buddy was kinda over hyping SD in that reguard by telling me that a pine or timber foresty mountain range of much higher elevation would be within an hour when something like that is a longer drive.

Anyone who’s lived in both a very dry climate and in the north western part of the country knows the difference that I’m talking about.

But I’ve decided I can’t leave this awesome place. Gotta give it time anyway. I Will definately be taking time off to vist CO this summer.

SD has enough immediate stuff for me , sure not CO tier but good enough. If I want even better outdoors rec I’ll just drive the extra 2 hours or so. WE.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Since you have better job prospects in Colorado that match your career goals then in SD, I’d likely move to CO sooner rather then later.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:45 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Quote:
From my understanding it’s like an hour for anything good. For San Diego anything real good like actual camp grounds with any trees and any elevation is what ? 4 hours ? I know my buddy said big bear is 4 hours. I’m not from either so correct if I’m wrong.
Have you hiked through the forests on Mount Palomar or to Mount Laguna yet? Done the hike to Big Laguna or to Volcan Mountain? Camped in Kitchen Creek? Watched the sunrise from Kwaaymii Point along the Pacific Coast Trail? Found the hidden waterfalls in Beaver Hollow or Horse thief Canyon? Crawled into the Wind Caves in Borrego, or watched the sunset over the Borrego Badlands from Fonts Point?

If not, you don't know anything about what San Diego has to offer in terms of hiking, camping, and natural beauty. It's like you've gone out on one date with a beautiful girl and decided that she's not for you without even learning her name.

These places, by the way, are all in San Diego County, which is as big as the state of Connecticut. They're all within an hour to two hours drive of downtown San Diego and the ocean.

A month isn't long enough to explore an area like San Diego County. I've been here 35 years and I'm out almost every weekend hiking and camping and I still haven't been to all of the beautiful places there are to explore in San Diego County. And, I'm not talking about the ocean.

This isn't to say that Denver and Seattle aren't beautiful places too -- I've spent time in both cities and their surrounding areas and I like them both a lot. But, it sounds to me like you're rejecting San Diego without actually getting to know "her."

Feel free to shoot me a direct message if you want some additional suggestions of places you really should experience before you leave San Diego. I'll be happy to share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver