Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:54 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I wonder if they'll be held liable for this.
I see your .22LRs and raise two .44 hollowpoints that no such thing will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 12:56 PM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I see your .22LRs and raise two .44 hollowpoints that no such thing will happen.
Yeah, I guess I should have tagged that comment as <sarcasm>, eh?

Old 05-08-2019, 01:09 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Unless I'm really behind the curve, there really isn't enough hard info to go down this road yet.

Being 'excluded' is not a justification for killing as many of your classmates as you can. And may not even be the/a significant factor in this incident.
Harassment of the transgender person seems to the "why" in this case.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:18 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
And you know this happened based on what?

btw, you do know that the myth that Columbine happened because of bullying has been debunked, right?

And in most of the other school shootings, there is not nearly a clear line from bullying to shooting as you appear to believe.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Ah, about the young, armed Security Guard, whatta guy!
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/col...ing/index.html

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 PM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
Quote:
I don't want to jump to conclusions until those facts come out, but if that is the case, this is truly tragic all around. I'm not saying these actions are excusable in the least, but bullying can be quite traumatizing to any teenager.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,252,297 times
Close to home for us also raising our kids in Centennial.

Why this happens.. dont know but the other thing I wonder about is if very violent and realistic video games somehow make it easier or condition a kid to "act" on hostile feelings..

I would like to think we were involved parents but I also feel like I did not or could not have had much control over what video games the kids were playing.

Very sad for everyone.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:40 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

btw, you do know that the myth that Columbine happened because of bullying has been debunked, right?

And in most of the other school shootings, there is not nearly a clear line from bullying to shooting as you appear to believe.
Let's reset what I said earlier before you get off on a tangent. If kids were taught to be more inclusive, things may be better in this world.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Let's reset what I said earlier before you get off on a tangent. If kids were taught to be more inclusive, things may be better in this world.
And again, you appear to be presuming things not in evidence. We don't know anything about the shooters, their social lives, how they were treated by other students, whether they were excluded from anything.

I'm not inclined to leap to blame the victims by assuming they weren't inclusive. And I'm not going off on a tangent as you are the one who has claimed that harassment of what has been reported to be a transgender student is the reason for this crime - with zero evidence as far as I can tell.

The one thing I'll grant is that yes, of course, generally speaking, inclusivity is good. And I see so much more of that now than when I was a kid, like the Gay Straight Alliances that exist at so many schools. But whether this has any relevance whatsoever to what happened at STEM School Highlands Ranch remains to be seen.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:58 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

The Columbine shooters were generally good students and had friends, but they definitely were bullied, even while the teachers watched according to many who grew up with them. They talk about it a lot in their journals and manifestos leading up to the massacre.

It's more of a chicken-or-egg situation when it comes to mental instability and bullying when you're a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver