U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 PM

20 posts, read 102,297 times

Advertisements

My wife, three-year-old daughter, soon-to-be-born son, two-year-old golden retriever and I are relocating to the Denver area. Could anyone answer some neighborhood questions? My wife is a stay at home mom and I will be working in the Lakewood area, initially in Littleton and then moving. We were originally looking at older homes in the West Wash Park/Platte Park/Bonnie Brae/etc. areas but are concerned on whether the schools are good in that area as well as whether they are low crime or not. We are currently living deep in the 'burbs of Chandler, AZ and are honestly sick of it. The 'burbs of Denver may understandably be different. My wife loves to cook and likes to be near the Farmer's markets (when they're in-season) and Trader Joe's etc. We would like to be in a low-crime walking neighborhood but do not want to get too overpriced (we're looking to spend 350-400k). Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,607,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deiter-dogg View Post
My wife, three-year-old daughter, soon-to-be-born son, two-year-old golden retriever and I are relocating to the Denver area. Could anyone answer some neighborhood questions? My wife is a stay at home mom and I will be working in the Lakewood area, initially in Littleton and then moving. We were originally looking at older homes in the West Wash Park/Platte Park/Bonnie Brae/etc. areas but are concerned on whether the schools are good in that area as well as whether they are low crime or not. We are currently living deep in the 'burbs of Chandler, AZ and are honestly sick of it. The 'burbs of Denver may understandably be different. My wife loves to cook and likes to be near the Farmer's markets (when they're in-season) and Trader Joe's etc. We would like to be in a low-crime walking neighborhood but do not want to get too overpriced (we're looking to spend 350-400k). Any suggestions?
Well, to be honest I think you'll find the 'burbs of Denver metro to be a lot like Chandler. Like Chandler, the schools in the 'burbs will likely range from pretty good to excellent, depending on where exactly you go.

I think that Wash Park/Platte Park/Bonnie Brae would be excellent choices of neighborhoods and if you look at the numbers they are not particularly high crime by any means. However, DPS schools do leave something to be desired though there are some very notable exceptions. (For example, you can check out the Denver School of Science and Technology for high school). You might check out the website http://www.csapscores.org/ for locating the good ones. Private or Parochial schools are always an option as well.

If you want to live in the 'burbs but have a walkable neighborhood experience, you might have a tough time finding that because the suburbs were designed from the get-go to be auto-oriented and that hasn't really changed. There are a few exceptions. Golden and Littleton are a couple of towns that were thriving before they got submerged in the postwar boom. Each has done a pretty good job of preserving its unique character, though this only really applies to their historic sections.

Oh, and we don't have a Trader Joe's here and probably never will due to our liquor laws. Sorry.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:06 PM

tfox...Thanks for the reply, definitely lots of good info. I remembered after I posted that there is no Trader Joe's there but thanks for the reminder. Thanks again.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:48 AM

Red face Anymore advice?

Just curious to see if anyone had anymore advice on the West Wash Park/Bonnie Brae/Platte Park areas of town. Thanks and I hope you guys are staying warm!

Old 12-21-2006, 10:36 AM

226 posts, read 954,526 times
From an investment standpoint Wash Park & Bonnie Brea could be an excellent choice. This area has been very popular over the last couple of years as people pay hudge amounts of money for one of the old small bungalows just to scrape it and rebuild on the lot. This is however changing the face of the neighborhood from an older established neighborhood to a newer one.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 PM

8,633 posts, read 19,074,187 times
how do you feel about high-priced drafty older homes? how do you feel about houses built in the 1950-1970's? What type of housing appeals to you?

Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 PM

615 posts, read 2,148,701 times
For me, after having lived in an older home and dealing with the higher maintenance and lower energy efficiency, I much prefer newer homes. Our current home is cheaper to maintain and costs the same to heat/cool as our older home, but we are now heating/cooling 3 times the square footage.

If you can, I would try to get into a newer home.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the replies folks...We're attracted to the charm and acessibility (to the city) of an older home. Realizing at the same time that they are definitely likely to be less energy efficient and will cost more per square foot. I'm generally a do-it-yourself kind of guy so a house's age isn't really much of a deterrent for me. We're not totally against a new build but we're trying to initially concentrate on finding an older home. Anymore info on the West Wash Park/Bonnie Brae/Platte Park areas?

Old 12-22-2006, 11:45 AM

8,633 posts, read 19,074,187 times
Highland Bridge Now Open

In an age where many are promoting “walkable urbanity,” the Highland Bridge brings a breath of fresh air for pedestrians. The third in a family of bridges, the Highland Bridge unites the Highland Neighborhood on the west side of I-25 with Commons Park and other Downtown attractions, and rises 70 feet over I-25 and 16th Street in a triple ridge arch that spans nearly 320 feet.

Quality of life can often be measured in accessibility—and this bridge opens the door for many to access Downtown and the Highland neighborhood on foot or by bicycle.

Learn more about the building of this new landmark by visiting www.highlandbridgedenver.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver