Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM

39 posts, read 203,976 times

Advertisements

A friend has told me that Aurora is a "hole." Can anyone verify that, or rebute that?

I've heard great things about Centennial and Littleton. ??

We are looking for a good school district, hopefully access to the light rail (my husband would be working in downtown Denver), affordable housing, maybe a master planned community.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 12:46 PM

210 posts, read 1,341,580 times
It depends on the area of Aurora.... a lot of the older parts have become a more run-down and are lower-income neighborhoods. But there are new developments on the far south side of the city that are nice (although some of those areas are cookie-cutter homes). But for those areas you generally have to look far south, near Parker.
Centennial and Littleton are both great areas. Areas within the cities proper are generally older, but well-kept, neighborhoods. Around Centennial and Littleton, though, are newer areas that have Centennial and Littleton mailing addresses, but are not in the cities proper. You can find nice areas in both places. For light rail access, you would have to look at eastern Centennial, where the light rail runs along I-25, if you want it very close. There are some nice neighborhoods within a 5 minute drive of light rail around there. For Littleton, light rail goes right through the old downtown area and again you can find some nice (although generally older) neighborhoods around there.
Are you wanting a newer home, an older home, or does it matter as long as it's a planned community?

Old 12-20-2006, 03:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,888,280 times
I lived in what is now known as Centennial...I actually liked it.
I lived in a townhouse off Colorado and Orchard and it's a pretty decent area. While I am not a friend of twonhomes (hate sharing walls with neighbors) it was convenient when I worked at the Darth Vader building (I took University north) and to see my family here in C Springs.

Lots of shopping close in and the Greenbelt runs through Centennial making for good dog walking up through to Greenwood Village and east of Colorado where there are some beautiful homes. I used to also let my dog "swim" in the creek when it got a little too warm for comfort in the summer.

I really liked it up there. Nice people in my complex and even knew the guy that was the Avalanche mascot...yes, the guy in the suit. Nice community.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:57 PM

11,813 posts, read 34,274,069 times
Lone Tree or Centennial or Highlands Ranch (east or west) Littleton all have easy access to light rail, good school (Cherry Creek, Douglas County & Littleton)

What else is important?

Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 PM

226 posts, read 1,365,508 times
In general with some exceptions Aurora Schools are not as good as the other areas mentioned in this post.

For a master planed community I would look at Highlands Ranch. Very well laid out, lots of open space and miles of walking/bike trails throughout the community. To look up specific schools check out greatschools.net

What is your definition of affordable housing?

Old 12-20-2006, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,014 times
Smile moving from denver to nebraska

hi anyone have any suggestions? my husband really wants to move somewhere in nebraska but i'm having a hard time with it because i have lived all my life here in denver. we have 4 kids and he says it would be a better living to raise our children. a better place for them to grow up. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:16 PM

39 posts, read 203,976 times
Thank you all very much,

Highlands Ranch is actually an area we were considering.

Affordable housing, to us coming from California, is anything under $325K. Is that possible?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 PM

226 posts, read 1,365,508 times
I won't be a mansion or on a golf course, but you can buy a nice house in most of the areas discussed in this forum for under $325k. 80 homes w/4 or more bedrooms are currently on the market in the Highlands Ranch area for under $325k. You get a lot more house for the money in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver