Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,548,601 times

Advertisements

Say it ain't so!

I just bought a ticket, am planning on moving into Cap. Hill...and...was just told that most apts under 650 in the area are run down places where if your next door neighbor sneezes...not only can you hear it, say 'bless you!" and they respond...but you may actually catch their cold.

As a previous home owner it's going to be tough times re-entering the renting population...the huddled masses...any chance of me getting a *upstairs* apartment for under 650? Or one built *after* 1970 and well insulated?

I'm looking at Craigslist, The Denver post, Westword, El Hispano, VirtualTourist, Hippyland Forums, NRA Chatlines, ChubbyChasersInternationalHQ ...etc etc etc.

Many times they do not say in the ad whether the unit is up/down stairs or if their complex is a run down old heap of rotted plywood where you can hear and take part in you neighbors early morning/late night conversations through the paper thin walls.

"Goodnight John Boy!"
"Goodnight Laura!"

Thanks for any responses...I'm pretty dedicated to the Capitol Hill area....just wanting to get more in depth info about the streets and ratio of rickety old Victorians vs Newer, Nicer(?) thick(!) floored / walled options.

Thanks again!
Peace out!

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by brubaker; 12-05-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: If it's worth typing out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,070,207 times
Capitol Hill is a large area and it does have some cheap and old apartments but the Victorians are typically well maintained. I live in Governor's Park, which is the south end of Capitol Hill and there are a ton of rental options in the area. $650.00 a month is low and you will get what you pay for, but the further away from Colfax, heading south, the better. Colfax is the name for 15th avenue and is the longest commercial street in the country. Some great venues for concerts and dinning mixed with rogue bars and unsavory folks, but not good for renting or buying. Cheeseman Park, Congress Park, Governor's Park and Alamo Placita Park (basically south and east Capitol Hill) are all good to great areas for renting and buying.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,466,735 times
Try one of the old apartment buildings along Poets Row; Sherman around 10th.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:05 AM

Thanks you two!

Hmmm....10th-11th on Sherman, I'll look into that...

Old 12-06-2008, 04:45 AM

90 posts, read 250,545 times
My best friend lives in one of those houses a few blocks from Colfax in downtown. They actually live in the basement so as you can Imagen in the winter when it snows its a joke getting in there becouse the door to the apartment is down an walkway almost under the house so you have to dig your way in and out. its nice place, though they don't venture out alone at night being so close to colfax.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM

I wonder how much they pay for their place?

I keep hearing, "You get what you pay for ...and $650 is cheap for the area."...which kinda worries me.

I don't mind bad neighborhoods...I'm a homebody myself... as long as I can get a few hours of sleep and make it into work the next day without to much stress.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,466,735 times
Quote:
though they don't venture out alone at night being so close to colfax.
They are missing a lot then; Colfax has a lot to offer at night from great bars to music venues and people watching.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 PM

91 posts, read 338,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

I don't mind bad neighborhoods...I'm a homebody myself... as long as I can get a few hours of sleep and make it into work the next day without to much stress.
I wouldn't call Capitol Hill a bad area at all. However it is densely populated and very active. I have a friend who lives a block from Colfax -- it's a great apartment and he loves it. He hasn't been the victim of any crimes in the three years he's been there, but he does get the occasional concert-goer peeing in the alley at 2 a.m.

Most of the bars and concert venues I like going to are in that area on Colfax. I've walked up and down that strip a hundred times at all hours of the night and have never felt threatened. When I think of Colfax, I think of all the fun I've had on the street.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,070,207 times
You can read about Colfax by doing a search, here is one lenghty discussion http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...35-colfax.html . It is not that it is dangerous, just well traveled and the bars and the concerts at the venues can cause parking problems and drunks in the area. Basically, it can be noisy and a periodic hassel, but great for jumping on a bus or partaking in the fun that the street has to offer. When doing your searches, type in and read discussions about the neighborhoods I listed above, tons of information without waiting for replies. Also, use Google maps to do virtual tours of the streets. It is actual camera video showing what is one each of our streets, kind of Big Brother creepy but you may find it useful.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,688,269 times
Brubaker: You do get what you pay for, pretty much with anything these days. It means you don't necessarily have the nice thick walls, or the space, or the perks/amenities.

Denver: We were married at Alamo Placita Park. I love that spot.

We lived in the Liongate across the street (Corona/Speer). We had a 700 sq. ft. one bedroom with a HUGE balcony, a pool, fitness center and parking. There were some old folks there, but that made it nice and quiet. We paid $800 a month, but that was 6 yrs. ago. Who knows what they are at now. We did check out apts. last summer, thinking we'd sell and come back downtown, but for those amenities, we were looking at $1400-$1600!!!

If you drop the amenities, you can get much closer to $800-$1000. But for $650, no way, it'd be a studio at best. In fact my brother was paying $650 for a tiny studio last year, no amenities and no parking, but they jacked up the rent even more so he moved to Lakewood, where he got a one bedroom w/parking for that same price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver