Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 12:40 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
With a few exceptions, prices are dropping.
Nonsense.
I have a spreadsheet of every new build (this century) in Berkeley. Sales since 2010.
958 rows.
I do not see falling prices.
What I have noticed recently is that developers are putting houses on the market at $930K and lowering the price to $899K after a month.

The latest DMAR report https://www.dmarealtors.com/download...-trends-report shows that DoM (median) has risen from 11 to 14 in the last year. Fourteen days is not a "dropping" market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 12:55 PM

277 posts, read 306,501 times
I don't know why everyone gets fixated on whether it's a "good" or "bad" time to buy.

I also don't view my primary residence as something that needs to be managed as an investment. It's something for me to enjoy - because so much of life revolves around where you live. Nobody knows when the next recession will be, or if that will even result in a housing market dip. If you're not planning on moving soon and have funds available to cover mortgage payments if something happens to your job for a while, I wouldn't sweat it. If not... I probably wouldn't buy a house regardless of what market trends people are predicting.

Over a longer stretch of time, your house will certainly appreciate in value.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:56 PM

257 posts, read 223,232 times
There are differences in sale prices even among cookie cutter homes in the same subdivision. Just because one sold nearby for less doesn't mean the house in question would sell for less in today's market. Maybe that one is right next to a retention pond or has not been updated.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:17 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What I have noticed recently is that developers are putting houses on the market at $930K and lowering the price to $899K after a month.
Is this to create an impression that the house is worth 930K but they are getting such a great deal (but it's on a house that's really worth 900K anyway)?

I don't have a spreadsheet but my impression on my own neighborhood is similar - that people who are greedy and push the envelope too far are forced to lower the price, but well priced homes are still selling briskly.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Is this to create an impression that the house is worth 930K but they are getting such a great deal (but it's on a house that's really worth 900K anyway)? ...
It's standard in retailing to put a high price tag on goods, then mark them down to what really is the 'de facto' retail price while barking loudly about SALE ON! Mattress retailers are notorious for this, as are jewelers. People need to KNOW their prices, be it on houses or TV sets.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:28 PM

571 posts, read 321,755 times
Quote:
Is this to create an impression that the house is worth 930K but they are getting such a great deal (but it's on a house that's really worth 900K anyway)?

I don't have a spreadsheet but my impression on my own neighborhood is similar - that people who are greedy and push the envelope too far are forced to lower the price, but well priced homes are still selling briskly.
I have thought that to be the case myself. I also looked at a flip that was listed for $500k initially, but has steadily dropped to under $450k. It was bought less than a year ago for $350k. When I visited, my realtor pointed out significant foundation damage. I think that is an exception, but I do believe that some houses may be listed on the high side due to an over zealous seller. Flips seem like they’d be difficult to price, because they can be the nicest house on the block surrounded by a bunch of run down fixed-uppers.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:43 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
FWIW -- Our Zillow home value has increased from about $424k to about $435k in just about six months, an increase of about 2.6%, but Zillow is predicting an increase of only about 1.5% for next summer. Last year, our neighborhood Realtor said that predictions for this year were for about a 6% increase, which was just about right because last year NO home in our neighborhood sold for more than $400k, but the 21 homes that sold this summer had a median sold price of $424,900 and the average sold price was $422k. (Home sold prices ranged from $384k to $452k.)

We live in southwest metro Denver, btw, and most homes around us were built about 1985-90, on average.

Last edited by katharsis; 09-05-2019 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-05-2019, 01:45 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It's standard in retailing to put a high price tag on goods, then mark them down to what really is the 'de facto' retail price while barking loudly about SALE ON! Mattress retailers are notorious for this, as are jewelers. People need to KNOW their prices, be it on houses or TV sets.
Retailing consumer goods, sure. But I don't really see that in house prices as much - if anything, people sometimes go in low because they think they are going to trigger a bidding war. But mostly I would say they try to go in at what they think they can get, with a little extra on top of that so they can negotiate a little and still net the desired amount. Going in 30K high (even when that's 3%) just so you can drop the price a month later seems like a waste of time. Plus the whole "this house has been sitting on the market, there must be something wrong with it" kind of perception that doesn't apply to consumer goods.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
We sold and are just curious if we got top dollar so my wife watches sales in the neighborhood for the same model house. They are based on county records. Zillow is crap.
With a few exceptions, prices are dropping.

Sounds like a good recipe for a big plate of regret on something you can't do anything about now.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:52 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Is this to create an impression that the house is worth 930K ... that [developers] who are greedy and push the envelope too far are forced to lower the price
I think greedy developers.
Going over $900K appears to be a problem here in the far northwest. Maybe it is the bears and the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver