Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 06:37 PM

131 posts, read 294,041 times

Advertisements

Ok cool, thanks. Its not a dealbreaker but we do have 2 cars.

Can you all give me some opinions on Skyland? I have been searching on it, and saw it described as up and coming and also potentially sketchy in some areas. Decent amount of property available in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 06:47 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,600,686 times
FYI the hail in Denver is nasty. I would never park a car outside.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:53 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,791,761 times
OTOH, most of the time I've lived in metro Denver (13+ years), my cars have been parked outside. All of them. I've never had hail destroy one or break a windshield (that's always been rocks), but it did destroy my house's roof and break my living room window a few years ago. Scraping is a way of life during the winter, just as getting into a hot car during the summer is.

OP, you have a ton of options to choose from. A lot of the housing isn't right in where the little section of housing is, but around Olde Town Arvada wouldn't be a bad choice for you.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:02 PM

226 posts, read 691,226 times
Depending on where you are in the city, hail may or may not be an issue. I parked outside in Cheesman Park for 4 years with no hail damage, whereas, my friend's car 15 min away in Aurora was very messed up by the same storms. The city's heat island effect is very real in Denver.

I'm currently looking in your price range and if I worked where you're going to work, I would cross my fingers for the Highlands (I don't know much about Sunnyside/Berkeley), but also check out Sloan's Lake/Edgewater (they have a lot of development planned, as well as Elitch Gardens area becoming a very fancy Riverwalk development), Lincoln Park/Baker (look up the First Friday art walk)/South Broadway. Five Points may also be a good option if you want good price:value and a gentrifying neighborhood doesn't scare you.

Speer St has a trail system that attract a lot of homeless campers and make the creek area feel unsafe to me. I lived in Cap Hill/Cheesman Park and Cheesman is great, but you will pay a lot $$$ and still have homeless people pooping on your front walk.

Last edited by goatwoodward; 07-24-2020 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: formatting, added Riverwalk

Old 07-24-2020, 04:41 PM

32 posts, read 36,653 times
I would say the hail is fairly random and you are susceptible anywhere in the Denver metro.

Sometimes Aurora and the eastern parts get slammed, sometimes, its the western part near Colorado Mills, sometimes it's further south down near Highlands Ranch, sometimes it's up north.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:25 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,379,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLguy View Post
Thats great to hear!

Is the traffic as bad as Miami? I know the drivers can not be as bad as here but im just trying to get an idea of how bad the traffic can be.
Driven in both cities. Denver drivers can certainly be as bad.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
Depending on where you are in the city, hail may or may not be an issue. I parked outside in Cheesman Park for 4 years with no hail damage, whereas, my friend's car 15 min away in Aurora was very messed up by the same storms. The city's heat island effect is very real in Denver.

I'm currently looking in your price range and if I worked where you're going to work, I would cross my fingers for the Highlands (I don't know much about Sunnyside/Berkeley), but also check out Sloan's Lake/Edgewater (they have a lot of development planned, as well as Elitch Gardens area becoming a very fancy Riverwalk development), Lincoln Park/Baker (look up the First Friday art walk)/South Broadway. Five Points may also be a good option if you want good price:value and a gentrifying neighborhood doesn't scare you.

Speer St has a trail system that attract a lot of homeless campers and make the creek area feel unsafe to me. I lived in Cap Hill/Cheesman Park and Cheesman is great, but you will pay a lot $$$ and still have homeless people pooping on your front walk.
Thanks and yeah, Id like to avoid the major homeless areas. Its not worth it to me. Is the Montclair area a little better or no?

Also, curious on your thoughts in areas of South Denver that you like. My office is not super critical for me where I need to be there all the time. I like being close to the city but not so far in that there's homeless camps or lot of noise/crime around me. Also not so far out that its a chore to do anything.

Curious what the deal is with Englewood. That may be too far for me, not sure yet. But I have read multiplt takes on that area and I see some nice neighborhoods on the side near Cherry Hill.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:02 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,594,731 times
Quote:
Thank you all, this has been very helpful for me. I am locating other areas I will search here and learn about.

City Park, University Park, Lincoln Park all have some real nice townhouses that I like too.
Lincoln Park will have an urban feel and much more homeless in the area, just a heads up since you sound like you want to avoid that. University Park sounds like a good fit.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Lincoln Park will have an urban feel and much more homeless in the area, just a heads up since you sound like you want to avoid that. University Park sounds like a good fit.
Thanks, I have been looking at University Park and have read that its a very beautiful area of the city. Thought it may be too much of a college vibe, so I didn’t look too into it, but I think I will.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:39 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,594,731 times
Quote:
Thanks, I have been looking at University Park and have read that its a very beautiful area of the city. Thought it may be too much of a college vibe, so I didn’t look too into it, but I think I will.
It’s a pretty good mix of ages. There are a lot of college kids but also a lot of families, young professionals, older people, etc. The surrounding neighborhoods of Rosedale/Harvard Gulch and Platt Park are also very much worth looking into. The zip code for all of those areas is 80210. Englewood just south of this area is also an option worth considering. I personally prefer NE Englewood as it’s walkable, close to Denver and has some nice parks. SW Englewood is also nice (near Belleview Park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver