Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 41,012 times

Advertisements

Our daughter was just accepted and I'd love to connect with some parents who are familiar with the current culture, either on this post or via private message. I have read through the two threads I've found here, the most recent from 2018. I know for awhile (2018 ish) there was a principal folks were unhappy with, and he's since moved on.

My concern is twofold:
1. style of education. I'm not particularly interested in her conquering a high school text in seventh grade (as one review noted). Do they teach the kids how to think? To ask questions? How project-based are they really?
2. community. Is it warm? Are the families tight?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 12:47 PM

26,118 posts, read 48,726,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedonagirl View Post
Our daughter was just accepted and I'd love to connect with some parents who are familiar with the current culture, either on this post or via private message. I have read through the two threads I've found here, the most recent from 2018. I know for awhile (2018 ish) there was a principal folks were unhappy with, and he's since moved on.

My concern is twofold:
1. style of education. I'm not particularly interested in her conquering a high school text in seventh grade (as one review noted). Do they teach the kids how to think? To ask questions? How project-based are they really?
2. community. Is it warm? Are the families tight?

TIA!
American schools need to do a lot more with teaching us HOW to think, i.e., critical thinking skills. I wasn't aware of it until about the age of 50 when the Army sent me to a management training school where they taught it. Every chance I get I post a link to this non-profit site that offers many resources.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:13 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,756,154 times
The teachers there are amazing and will guide the students right. For a number of years recently the administrators dumbed down the school, for 'equity' sake and to make sure kids don't get way over their heads especially in math. When my kids started they had many 8th graders (pushed by parents) taking pre-calc when some of them were clearly not ready. The high achievers will achieve no matter where but from Challenge especially there were a good number of kids who ended up in Ivys (at least 1 every class eventually headed to Harvard - amazing considering the small size of each grade). I don't know the administration especially this past year.

It's difficult to teach kids how to think, much easier to have them regurgitate info back. That said they do have quite a bit of open-ended projects that do expand critical thinking. The mandatory Science Fair projects help push their boundaries, and there's a good speech and debate offering there and you will see a lot of kids eventually end up doing well beyond Challenge.

The community aspect is hit or miss, mainly because the kids come from all over the geography. Generally people will stick with their neighborhood groups for carpools, or activity groups like musicals group or math/chess groups. It can seem tight knit just because the school is small and everyone knows about each other.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:44 PM

9 posts, read 41,012 times
Thank you Moonwalkr -- that's so helpful. It does give me comfort about the academics -- although I did hear that they have increased kindergarten class size from 18-24 due to budget cuts, which is unfortunate. With regard to community, I wish they'd have a zoom "parents' night" where I could meet the other families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver