Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times

Advertisements

Carpet in the bathroom is so nasty. Every stray drop of any liquid is going to hit it and create a great breeding ground for bacteria. Its not like you can throw it in the washing machine like you can with a bath mat either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Carpet in the bathroom is so nasty. Every stray drop of any liquid is going to hit it and create a great breeding ground for bacteria. Its not like you can throw it in the washing machine like you can with a bath mat either.
I agree. The last time I saw carpet in a bathroom was sometime in the 70's--rust-colored shag--far out, man.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:06 PM

53 posts, read 227,152 times
Carpet in a bathroom = mildew and mold issues.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM

739 posts, read 2,948,837 times
WE did not see the huge bubble in 2005/06 here in Denver. Most areas have had slow and steady appreciation. I can assure you that "hot" areas, most of them in city neighborhoods are doing just fine. check out the post in the forum talking about "safe" areas to buy in Denver metro.

Funny, I dislike carpets in the bathroom, it is dated but it's all about location and other aspects of the house. TEh home we are buying has carpet in the bath but it was 20x better than the other 5 houses we lost out on in this area b/c they all went under contract so quickly.

Now,I think if you ware looking in some far flung exurbs where they overbuilt or blighted areas like Montbello, it may be a different story. I'm just talking about desirable hoods in Denver.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 33,888 times
I don't think carpet is necessarily a mold breeding ground, so long as there's not some leak from your showers and sinks. However, I do agree, it is not the most desirable option for a bathroom.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movwest View Post
I don't think carpet is necessarily a mold breeding ground, so long as there's not some leak from your showers and sinks. However, I do agree, it is not the most desirable option for a bathroom.
Any water from the sink or shower will invariably get flung, sprayed, splattered, or dripped on the floor. You can be as careful as you want, but its just going to happen. And do we need to discuss human anatomy and why carpet around the toilet is a bad idea?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 22,580 times
Default carpet in bathroom

Does it also have to do with making sure old people don't slip coming out of the tub/shower?

Sorry for the mental image.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:05 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,911 times
I agree with the OP. My fiance and I were looking for a while in the Golden area, but there was nothing I considered worth the price they were asking so we are not looking anymore and are going to just invest in our home instead. I have heard many stories of people taking their homes off the market becuase they are unable to get the prices they are asking for.

I think people are not accepting that the houses aren't appreciating like they were a few years back.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
Quote:
I've been hearing this stuff too. I believe a lot of people who overpaid and then signed on for ARMs are waiting for a federal bailout.
The problem is, it is not that simple. The field is full of fraud on both ends, and just general stupidity all around, but in the end it is those of us who played the responsible line that will suffer for everyone.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:54 PM

152 posts, read 617,808 times
Carpet in bathrooms is just plain gross. Soggy wet feet after showers, yuck. That being said it's an easy upgrade to put tile in, but for 500-600k I would expect more. Keep looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver