Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 04:07 AM

207 posts, read 481,009 times

Advertisements

It was Pizza Heaven on So. Downing. Good stuff.
I found a video of Freddi-Henchi:
Freddi Henchi and the Soulsetters - I Want to Dance, Dance, Dance - YouTube
Freddi can still be found performing around town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,650 times
Anyone remember The Organ Grinder on Alameda, Dave Cook Sporting Goods on Broadway, Lakeside's fun house with the laughing lady and slide burns galore, Ferrill's ice cream parlor, and Bronco Billy's burgers?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhree4me View Post
Anyone remember The Organ Grinder on Alameda, Dave Cook Sporting Goods on Broadway, Lakeside's fun house with the laughing lady and slide burns galore, Ferrill's ice cream parlor, and Bronco Billy's burgers?

Yes! Loved the Organ Grinder and Ferrills...I used to get a banana split..my dad would take me if I received A's on my report card ( I was in 1st grade of course I received A's).

I'm a native and I NEVER have been to Lakeside...
I miss the Pop Shop.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhree4me View Post
Lakeside, back "in the day," wow!! Loved the Fun House, going down those slides. Seems like there was a swimming pool somewhere on the grounds and of course stock car races. We had picnics, almost took up homesteading in the park on hot summer days. My Mom and Aunt seemed happy to take all of us rascals; they could drink cold beer and keep watch on our picnic area and of course they KNEW what their sweet kiddos were up to..............great times. Why did cotton candy taste so good back then??

Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Lived about 2.5 miles up Sunshine Canyon west of Boulder from 1965 to 1980................My late wife and I had many enjoyable dinners at the Lamp Lighter in Boulder and that wonderful Champagne Brunch at the Harvest House after Church on Sundays. Worked in Commerce City and occasionally would have lunch at an old (even in the 1960s it was probably 25 to 30 years old) restaurant and bar that was on a gravel road about 1 to 4 miles East (IIRC) of Stapleton. What was quite unusual about the place....it was built around a very large live tree that was right in the center of the dining area!!!. Does anyone remember the name of that restaurant and bar??? I've thought of that place many times, but can't remember the name. I vividly remember having lunch there with a couple of friends of mine from STEARNS_ROGER CORP on my 35 birthday in 1967 and many of the regulars who ate their frequently bought several rounds of drinks for me............well as you can imagine, when it was time to leave and go back to work------I couldn't hit my a$$ with either hand. Needless to say, my boss suggested I take the rest of the day off and go home to my wife.

Oh yeah, almost forgot..............I always would stop (when I was in downtown Denver) at GART BROS SPORTS CASTLE....it was in a very old building and the floor was quite uneven in spots. IIRC the number on Broadway was approx 601 Broadway. Used to be able to buy Hodgdon #4831 Reloading Rifle powder for $1.50 per pound.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 07-07-2014 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Lived about 2.5 miles up Sunshine Canyon west of Boulder from 1965 to 1980................My late wife and I had many enjoyable dinners at the Lamp Lighter in Boulder and that wonderful Champagne Brunch at the Harvest House after Church on Sundays. Worked in Commerce City and occasionally would have lunch at an old (even in the 1960s it was probably 25 to 30 years old) restaurant and bar that was on a gravel road about 1 to 4 miles East (IIRC) of Stapleton. What was quite unusual about the place....it was built around a very large live tree that was right in the center of the dining area!!!. Does anyone remember the name of that restaurant and bar??? I've thought of that place many times, but can't remember the name. I vividly remember having lunch there with a couple of friends of mine from STEARNS_ROGER CORP on my 35 birthday in 1967 and many of the regulars who ate their frequently bought several rounds of drinks for me............well as you can imagine, when it was time to leave and go back to work------I couldn't hit my a$$ with either hand. Needless to say, my boss suggested I take the rest of the day off and go home to my wife.

Oh yeah, almost forgot..............I always would stop (when I was in downtown Denver) at GART BROS SPORTS CASTLE....it was in a very old building and the floor was quite uneven in spots. IIRC the number on Broadway was approx 601 Broadway. Used to be able to buy Hodgdon #4831 Reloading Rifle powder for $1.50 per pound.
That was Emil-Lene's Steakhouse out on Smith Road in Aurora. It's closed now and I think it's been closed for some time. Yeah, nice tree!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Oh yeah, almost forgot..............I always would stop (when I was in downtown Denver) at GART BROS SPORTS CASTLE....it was in a very old building and the floor was quite uneven in spots. IIRC the number on Broadway was approx 601 Broadway.
Close. 10th and Broadway. I believe it was built originally as a car dealership. Nice building.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
That was Emil-Lene's Steakhouse out on Smith Road in Aurora. It's closed now and I think it's been closed for some time. Yeah, nice tree!
We used to eat at Emil-Lene's steakhouse. Too bad it's closed? I remember, at lunch you would just sit down and they would bring the special of the day. Seems like they only had 1 or 2 specials; great food and service.................out of the way place. Fun times.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
We used to eat at Emil-Lene's steakhouse. Too bad it's closed?. . . .
The story of its closing in March, 2014, in Westword:

Emil-Lene's Sirloin House, one of Denver's cow classics, shutters after more than fifty years

Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Remembering the first time we went to Emil-lenes. We drove down Smith rd and turned on what seemed like a private driveway to an old ranch home. I thought it was some kind of joke. Guess it used to be someone's home.

What a sad ending to a great old place. Was always clean and the food and people (I think may have been owners,) waited on us. Think I tasted Rocky Mountain Oysters there.......

That was a long time ago. Thanks for the info, brought back some happy times; sorry the place had a bad ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver