Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 PM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times

Advertisements

23 year resident, moved away in 86. Just remembering stuff, wondering if anybody else does...

Jims Burger Haven on Federal?
Brentwood shopping center
Kennedy High School and Bear Valley...'65-70
Villa Italia
Cinderela City
Cruising 16th and a cop named Snyder
The Scotchman
39th street and Peoria street racing
Allan Berg
Lakeridge Road
The Federal Center
Casa Fiesta
Craig Chevrolet in Arvada
Obviously no particular order, just pop ups in the head. Status? other memories? What's it like today? I haven't been back since a 2 hour layover in 87.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 05:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
23 year resident, moved away in 86. Just remembering stuff, wondering if anybody else does...

Villa Italia

Cinderella City

The Scotchman

Allan Berg

The Federal Center

Casa Fiesta
Do you mean Casa Bonita?
I remember all the ones listed in the quote.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
The Centennial racetrack on south Santa Fe Drive south of Bellevue. North Woods Inn on south Santa Fe (with the big Paul Bunyon figure out front), Cinderella City Drive Inn (will be gone by the end of the year), Eddy Bohn's Pig and Whistle restaurant on west Colfax, Northglenn Mall (torn down a couple years ago). BWP, was looking at drb's list and thinking of Allen Berg. Very depressing event. Speaking of radio station KOA, longtime KOA announcer passed Gus Mircos passed away yesterday.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
So for those who were around back then before I was born, would you have rather lived in the Denver of the 60's and 70's or the Denver of today?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,706 times
Jim's Burger Haven is still there and going strong

Old 05-14-2008, 11:41 PM

35 posts, read 304,537 times
Default like apples to oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
So for those who were around back then before I was born, would you have rather lived in the Denver of the 60's and 70's or the Denver of today?
I was stationed at Lowry AFB in 1968, and for an 18 year old Denver was a party town. 3.2 bars in Glendale ( Mr Luckys) Sam's up on Look out mountain, The Store on East Colfax and the Braskeller in Larimer Square. Back then girl cruised up 16th street picking up guys for dates. But now everyone is so uptight and everything is PC this and that. Things in Denver were looser back in the 60s because it was a much smaller town then. Does anyone remember the Wood Stock West cardboard village at Denver University or the Anti War Demonstrations at the State Capital in 1970. There were no Home owner Associations or water restrictions. You also didn't get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt mostly because most cars didn't have seat belts yet. At Eliches and Mile High Stadium you could bring in your own food and drink and hold a picnic. There was a gas station on East Colfax called Mars Gas that was selling gas for 25 cents a gallon in the spring of 1970 and it still cost a dime for a phone call. Attitudes were way different and everyone one seemed more open back then from what I see these days. Kids didn't curse as an open way of conversing like they do now and women actually wore white gloves on dates & nurses still wore the white uniforms. But like I said, you can't really compare Denver now with Denver of the 60's and 70's anymore than you can compare the country as a whole.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsage View Post
I was stationed at Lowry AFB in 1968, and for an 18 year old Denver was a party town. 3.2 bars in Glendale ( Mr Luckys) Sam's up on Look out mountain, The Store on East Colfax and the Braskeller in Larimer Square. Back then girl cruised up 16th street picking up guys for dates. But now everyone is so uptight and everything is PC this and that. Things in Denver were looser back in the 60s because it was a much smaller town then. Does anyone remember the Wood Stock West cardboard village at Denver University or the Anti War Demonstrations at the State Capital in 1970.
Oh yeah, I remember it well. And the Bratskellar. I think that's where I got my first underage drink.
Quote:
There were no Home owner Associations or water restrictions. You also didn't get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt mostly because most cars didn't have seat belts yet. At Eliches and Mile High Stadium you could bring in your own food and drink and hold a picnic. There was a gas station on East Colfax called Mars Gas that was selling gas for 25 cents a gallon in the spring of 1970 and it still cost a dime for a phone call. Attitudes were way different and everyone one seemed more open back then from what I see these days. Kids didn't curse as an open way of conversing like they do now and women actually wore white gloves on dates & nurses still wore the white uniforms. But like I said, you can't really compare Denver now with Denver of the 60's and 70's anymore than you can compare the country as a whole.
I remember Mars gas, too. My bf used to always fill up there.
Elitch's was the best. This was many years before 6 Flags.
I agree about the open attitudes, too. There was this air of change, as if anything was possible. We talked about some extremely controversial things in high school, simply as a matter of course.
Double H, I remember the Northwoods Inn, with its peanut shells on the floor.
The Pig and Whistle, too.
Quote:
Well, I voted with my feet--we're outta there. It just got too crowded and yuppified.
There are some good things about Denver now that didn't exist in the old days.
Public transit is one of them. IMHO it is much improved from before, though I-70 still sounds like a mess.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:53 AM

Oldsage! What's up? I had a few toddies over there at Mr. Luckys myself. Here is a few 3.2. clubs for you; the Galaxy, Draught House, the Psychiatrist (2nd and Detroit), La Pichet, Stout Street Electric Company, the City Dump, the Bacchannal, then up in Boulder you had a couple good ones in Skunk Creek Inn and Tulagi's. Speaking of the Draught House, remember radio advertising for drown night? All the 3.2. beer you could drink for $3. And it was advertised on the radio to boot! That was Wednesday night. Saw Sugarloaf there, also Zephyr (with Tommy Bolin).

Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 AM

Sheesh,I need to proofread my posts. Duplication on radio advertising. Seriously, they did. Speaking of radio, I'm sure everyone remembers KIMN, but what about KBTR- 710 a.m., 95 KIM'S competition for a couple years. They eventually went to all news format. Then there were the free concerts KIMN had at different venues, but mostly were at the Colosseum. They were billed as KIMN appreciation days. When FM radio started growing, KLZ-FM was Denver's first rock FM station. KMYR came in shortly after, but didn't last too long. KBPI came into the scene in early '72.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
oops...yes, I meant Casa Bonita, not Casa Fiesta. It was built in the old JcPenny store building on west colfax.
KBTR...recall it well, felt like a traitor listening to it instead of KIMN. I think KBTR got in trouble for rigging the charts.
Mars gas, and there was a 3.2 place up in Evergreen, name? Got drunk there a few times and threw up really really good coming down the canyon.
Cinderalla City was the big shopping center, Cherry Creek was snobby, Bronco stadium and buying burritos from the nieghborhood vendors, 2nd half trots...
John Elway in the Safeway store buying diapers
The BBQ place down by 5 points that fed everybody at Christmas for free.
The Buffalo Exchange(name?)restaurant with all the stuffed animals down by the tracks and north Santa Fe area.
Anybody here go to Kennedy High School?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver