Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaleman View Post
Don't forget Sherrif Scotty, and Shock Theater on Saturday nights featuring Vampira!!
Great show!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:43 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,861,047 times
- Denver Bears baseball
- Mile High Stadium south stands
- Denver Drumstick Restaurant
- Eddie Bohn's "Pig 'N Whistle" on West Colfax
- KBTV channel 9, KOA channel 4, KLZ channel 7
- Aurora "ending" as a dirt road at Chambers Blvd.
- Lakewood incorporated. South Kipling ending at Kentucky Ave.
- Before there was a Highlands Ranch, the south end of Denver ended around The Flying Dutchman restaurant (now Landry's). No I-225 much less an E or C470. To the west were the beautiful green fields of "The Bradford Land & Cattle Company".
- Larimer Square was "The Place" downtown. It was about 4 blocks long.
- No Auraria campus. Luby Cheverolet was off Larimer & Speer.
- The floods of 1965 and 1969.
- The downtown power plant lit up in lights reading "Public Service"
- The old Mountain Bell building done up in Christmas lights.
- As others have mentioned: Sheriff Scotty (Ed Scott, owner KLAK), Star Yelland, Carl Akers, Warren Chandler, Miss Jeannie, Stormy Rottman, Bill O'Reilly.
- The old Elitch Gardens off 38th & Tennyson.
- Midget racing at Lakeside
- Summer nights at the pull offs on Alameda between Green Mountain & "The Hogback".
- Partying on the weekends in the caves at Red Rocks.
- Tallest building downtown was Brooks Towers.

Last edited by Kar54; 12-09-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 20,727 times
Yep,Denver Ben, I also remember all those things, dad testing tubes at Safeway, gas station giveaways, etc. I was right there with ya!! I moved away in 1965, but the memories are strong and magical!!

Old 12-21-2015, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,689 times
Default Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM libequafrat

I've known Bob MacVittie, Sugarloaf drummer, since the early 1960's when he started out with The Surfing Classics. That was, Bob on drums, Bob Webber on lead and vocals, Van Dorn on rhythm and vocals, Doug Dolph on base. They soon became The Moonrakers and Joel Brandis took Dolph's place on base and Denny Flannegan joined on electric piano and vocals. They played the many Battle of the Bands for KIMN radio with groups like The Astronauts at DU student union and the like. I don't remember the year chronology exactly, but they changed their name to Beggars Opera Company before becoming Sugarloaf. Named after a Colorado mountain. Jerry Corbetta had taken Flannegans place at that time and Yeazel took Van Dorn's place. I think Bob was still drumming at the time you mention in your post of 2009. I'm still in touch with Bob, who now lives in Liberty MO, and sent him your post. He's played for the Moonrakers reunion in Denver for the 3 or 4 years prior to 2015 but opted out this year due to arthritis in his wrists, I believe. Assuming I'm correct about your post, were you married to Sharon or CC, his sisters? I may not make it back to this forum so if you want to contact me, klwell@earthink.net and Bob is Robmacv@yahoo.com. Thanks for the history. I miss those times as well. Great music and musicians.

Kelly

Old 01-15-2016, 11:52 PM

36 posts, read 85,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Great pics !!

Do have a question though. I did notice both a billboard for KLZ as well as the KHOW building. At the time of these pics what kind of format did those stations have and for that matter KOA ?? I would imagine KLZ, KOA and KHOW weren't top 40 since from what I understand KIMN pretty much had that audience.

OK another question, yeah kinda silly but still curious ....Did any of the Denver local television stations ever used the "Eyewitness News" brand ?? Back in the 80's when my family had taken a cross country road trip every city we had visited had one local TV channel doing Eyewitness News..every city except Denver.

Nice set of photos. I could only remember about half of the buildings, though. Either I didn't get downtown much then or it's memory loss through age.

KHOW broadcasted from the Petroleum Club Building. I think that in the mid '70s they had a news and talk format, but it wasn't as politicized as talk radio is now. I know that back in the late '60s they had a morning show called "Buzz and Barney" and an evening contest show called "Professor KHOW". "Barney" was a woman. "Buzz" left the show and it became "Charlie and Barney", which is what I think it was in the mid '70s, then Barney left and it became "Hal and Charlie".

I think that KLZ had close to the same format, but I'm not sure. They used to play top 40 on KLZ-FM in the late '60s but I don't know if that survived into the mid '70s. Actually, by the mid 70s all the music stations were pretty much on FM and AM was going more news/talk. KIMN was still around in the mid '70s but I was listening to KFML, the underground hippie station. I'm pretty sure that KOA had a news/talk format in the mid '70s.

I do remember that one of the stations did the "Eyewitness News" thing in Denver. I remember it being Channel 4, KOA (the NBC affiliate), but when I Googled it one website said it was Channel 2, KWGN. But I definitely remember one station or the other doing it.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 27,811 times
ttt, i enjoy this thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,563 times
Default Blue Moose Holiday Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottodog View Post
Yep 94th Aero Squadron. I worked for Combs Gates at Stapleton, and that was a comon gathering spot. That and the Blue Moose at the Holiday Inn on Quebec.

Of course there was always the "Landing Strip".
Yikes, I just found this thread from nearly a DECADE ago! I opened the Blue Moose at that Holiday Inn!

Old 02-06-2016, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,694 times
I am trying to remember back to my youth. We used to go to an ice cream parlor in the 70's. They wore white uniforms with red and white striped vests. They offered several different sundaes. They even had a huge one that would feed a lot of people. I can remember having several birthdays there. I think it started with a S. Can you help.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,967,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtbecky1997 View Post
I am trying to remember back to my youth. We used to go to an ice cream parlor in the 70's. They wore white uniforms with red and white striped vests. They offered several different sundaes. They even had a huge one that would feed a lot of people. I can remember having several birthdays there. I think it started with a S. Can you help.
Location? There were a lot of ice cream shops in Denver in the 70s, and I think red and white striped vests were pretty common in fast food.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 02-06-2016 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,694 times
I don't remember location. Just remember the employee uniforms were white with vests and hats. Did there used to be a Ferrels ice cream parlor there in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver