Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 12:45 PM

36 posts, read 87,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshark View Post
Morrison Road ends at Alameda west of Federal...but at Sheridan & Morrison Road was Hart's Corner.

I used to go to Hart's Corner when I'd just turned 21. It was kind of a cowboy place--all country music on the jukebox--but it was an older crowd and they were pretty mellow. I used to avoid Ollie's Roundup, just across the road, because it seemed like the kind of place where you'd get in fights. As I remember it, Hart's seemed to have only one size of glass, one of those "schooner" goblet things, I guess they were 12 oz., and that's what the mixed drinks came in as well as the beer. They were cheap, that's why we frequented the place. I don't know if it's still in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:53 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post
I used to go to Hart's Corner when I'd just turned 21. It was kind of a cowboy place--all country music on the jukebox--but it was an older crowd and they were pretty mellow. I used to avoid Ollie's Roundup, just across the road, because it seemed like the kind of place where you'd get in fights. As I remember it, Hart's seemed to have only one size of glass, one of those "schooner" goblet things, I guess they were 12 oz., and that's what the mixed drinks came in as well as the beer. They were cheap, that's why we frequented the place. I don't know if it's still in business.
Looks like it closed sometime before Oct 2014

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6968...7i13312!8i6656

Had a different sign in 2007

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6968...!7i3328!8i1664

Old 07-16-2016, 02:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post
I used to go to Hart's Corner when I'd just turned 21. It was kind of a cowboy place--all country music on the jukebox--but it was an older crowd and they were pretty mellow. . . I don't know if it's still in business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Looks like it closed sometime before Oct 2014. . .
Back in March, Westword featured this article:
Hart's Corner Could Soon Be Back in Business as a Mexican Restaurant

The article includes a complete, and quite interesting, history of the location.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Back in March, Westword featured this article:
Hart's Corner Could Soon Be Back in Business as a Mexican Restaurant

The article includes a complete, and quite interesting, history of the location.
That's an interesting article. I didn't know that Hart's corner got to be the center of drug activity by 2010. That's the problem I have with a lot of old stomping grounds: when I revisit them, in my mind I still see them like they were 40-50 years ago without realizing that they might have changed a lot.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:08 AM

I've seen from old posts that a number of folks here grew up in Bear Valley. I remember hanging out in Bear Creek Park between Hampden and Ft. Logan. One side of the creek was maintained with mowed bluegrass, baseball diamonds and picnic tables. I seem to remember that every summer the City of Denver had a mobile stage they'd take around town to put on live entertainment and it usually made an appearance at Bear Creek Park. The other side of the park, they pretty much let it grow wild. It had dirt paths through it and some of them went up and down some pretty steep hills, so of course as kids we had to challenge each other to ride our bikes down the steepest hills. We also used to go innertubing down the creek there. When I reached junior high age we used to do all kinds of prohibited things over there because people had built camouflage-like shelters with loose brush among all the wild bushes and grass so no one (like the cops) could see what was going on. Now they seem to keep the brush cut back a bit more and they have asphalt walking paths.

I remember there was flooding in I think 1969 and the creek rose up to something like 5 or 6 times its normal size and it really cut a slice through the park. It was almost spilling into the parking lot at the entrance of the park. I think it's what got the State to build the dam just outside Morrison. I used to ride my bike to Morrison/Red Rocks all the time; it was a two-lane road that followed the creek and it felt really rural--nothing like the highway that Morrison Road's turned into now, and there was no Bear Creek Lake Park (because there was no Bear Creek Lake).

Old 07-17-2016, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,697 times
Anyone remember the Ice Cream Parlor at 84th and maybe Pecos in the King Soopers shopping strip. Maybe 1975 or 1976. They had horns and whistles and wore straw hats they had food to but huge ice cream sundaes of all kinds. They all had names too. They closed down in 78 or 79 maybe. There was nothi g in the field actoos Pecos from them, there were Condos behing them and. Apartments with a huge park??? My friend and I used to meet there all the time...anyone??

Old 07-21-2016, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 28,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Carlisle View Post
Anyone remember the Ice Cream Parlor at 84th and maybe Pecos in the King Soopers shopping strip. Maybe 1975 or 1976. They had horns and whistles and wore straw hats they had food to but huge ice cream sundaes of all kinds. They all had names too. They closed down in 78 or 79 maybe. There was nothi g in the field actoos Pecos from them, there were Condos behing them and. Apartments with a huge park??? My friend and I used to meet there all the time...anyone??
i cannot remember the name of this place for anything, but i spent many friday and sat nights there as a 15,16 year old playing fooseball and pinball games there with all my jr high and sr high frinds. please someone tell me the name of this place before i bang my head against the wall

Old 07-22-2016, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,937 times
Default Show Wagon

Hey Jude, the portable stage you mentioned was called the show wagon, our parents used to take us to see it when it was in Barnum Park in the summer. It was all amateur talent in the shows.

Also I went past Harts Corner just yesterday and it's now open as a Mexican restaurant.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Garcia View Post
Hey Jude, the portable stage you mentioned was called the show wagon, our parents used to take us to see it when it was in Barnum Park in the summer. It was all amateur talent in the shows.

That's right, I forgot about it being amateur talent. I remember a couple of bands playing and not much else, but we enjoyed it at the time.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 PM

9 posts, read 28,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Carlisle View Post
Shacky's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver