Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,225 times

Advertisements

I loved the Scotchman! I still make cinnamon cokes at home just to reminisce. But don't forget the sloppy malts and yur pet hot dogs! It was right next door to put-put miniature golf. I had my own putter and joined the professional putters association. Even played in a couple of tournaments. (lost handily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger at Heart View Post
Enjoyed reminicing about the Scotchman on north Federal Blvd., man had to drink those Cinnamon drinks fast before they ate through the bottom of the cups haha. Then crusing 16th and Colfax. I remember Stout Street Electric Company, La Plache on Evans street, Mr Lucky's on Colorado Blvd, Aloha Beach and Skunk Creek Inn in Boulder, BUT I have not heard anyone mention the ***** Cat A Go-Go nightclub on South Santa Fe close to Evans Street. That place was great and no it was not a strip club. It was a night club. Does anyone remember the ***** Cat A Go Go??

Also, going back further near downtown on Clofax and Speer there was an O'meara Dealership on Colfax, then a store called L&M's on Lipan Street. Close by was St. Leo's church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,225 times
Naaa! She's talking about Rockybuilt!
There was one on 38th and federal, right across the street from the Phillips 66 gas station my dad owned. The sauce was a mixture of Ketchup and mustard, and the burgers were 15 cents. I think 19 cents with cheese.

But the best burgers were from grandad's burger Haven. They had several locations, wrote your order in code on the sack, and gave you a drink lid with a number on it that they would call over the speaker when the giant burgers were done.

Mine was a big one, dmdc no must use mayo 1 ex ch.

Still the best burger in the world, even though Jim sold all the original locations and went electronic and don't use the sacks for the orders anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodol'days View Post
I think you might be talking about Burger Chef. Live in Omaha now but loved my youth in Aurora! When my mom and sisters get together we recall our favorites; 4th of July fireworks in DelMar Park, DelMar Park swimming pool, Holly Inn Mexican restaurant, ALL the drive-ins, Hested's, Woolworth's, Woolco (we gave away our dog's puppies out front), The Denver (any of those still there?), Fashion Bar juniors clothing store, Miss Claretta's dance studio, The Fox Theater, riding bikes along the creek in Aurora, playing hide-and-seek into the night during the summer, the Jaycees (Dad involved, active raising money for causes and had great parties and get-togethers!), Komitas (may be spelled wrong but was a place for teens having family problems, my father volunteered there), Buckingham Square (my mom worked at Suzie's Casual's), Chicken Delight (they were a pioneer in home delivery), and lots more! Thanks for stirring great memories!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
Oh how well I remember those Colorado Sun-Day concerts! I believe the last one I attended was headlined by Peter Frampton. It included Steve Miller Band, Gary Wright, and Tommy Bolin, I believe.
Ha! I attended that one too. It was a great line up!

Old 04-28-2017, 09:06 PM

207 posts, read 480,888 times
"Does anyone remember the ***** Cat A Go Go??"

No but I can ask some old timers I know that live right there.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,859 times
doe's anyone remember a place on Colorado bvd. between mc'donalds and the leaning tower of pizza, that served sourbratten in the 1962

Old 06-16-2017, 10:28 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
remember the Old Heidelberg Inn just west of Golden, and south of Heritage Square. The restaurant closed after a fire (in the 70's?). I was told by a neighbor that a fire started in the early morning hours - very suspicious, with indications of insurance fraud.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill miller View Post
doe's anyone remember a place on Colorado bvd. between mc'donalds and the leaning tower of pizza, that served sourbratten in the 1962
That was the Alpine Village Inn. I worked there as a busboy (and wore lederhosen) from about 1967 to 1970.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,490 times
Default 1960s Restaurant search

Anyone remember a Hamburger Joint called JRs off S Gaylord St By South High, Wash Park back in the 60s?

Old 08-13-2017, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,475 times
Can anyone tell me if the Scotchman drive-in at 4960 Federal and the Bagpipe Coffee Shop at 4960 Federal were one and the same place? blueheron@pacinfo.com

Old 08-20-2017, 06:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,521 times
The Air Force moved me to Lowry AFB in 1972. Moved back in 1976 and stayed. I worked in downtown starting in 1977, which is when Denver building laws changed, and the old owners sold off properties. That started the change of Denver the Cowtown to Denver modern city. I watched the property next to the D&F Tower change to a parking lot and then to a hole and to a skyscraper. A few years later I worked at the other end of the downtown and watched the lot near Duffy's change from one tall building to a very tall building.

During those years 16th Street went from a street to a closed mall with bus tracks. Even saw when the cement mixer truck crashed down into a forgotten cellar at J.C. Penny's.

What made Old Denver so memorable is that it was isolated from the rest of the country. And the population was less than a million.

The Original Broker, in the bank vault
Learned JCRS was not the developers initials, but the Jewish Consumption Relief Society
Never went to Casa Bonita, just because
Lots of bars
The Hungry Dutchman was great
The Hungry Farmer was very good too
Pasquini's in Aurora for great pizza
The Ward's store on Colorado was also the warehouse. You could order from the catalog and pick it up that same day.
The wonderful smell from the slaughter houses on the north side (smelled like feed lot)
When you could see the Rockies from the Top of the Rockies restaurant
The Petroleum Club above Top of the Rockies
The Tea Room soup and sandwich lunch
The philatelic shop at Denver Dry
I.M. Pei skating rink at May D&F
Packing the blizzard snow into ice with the garbage trucks
The Green(e) brothers were not really brothers
The loony weatherman brought up from somewhere and was returned almost as fast
KIMN and the stories of KIMN personalities antics
The completion of the Eisenhower bore
The old Broncos practice field
The Colorado Rockies and Rock and Roll Part 2 (and playoff game)
Thanksgiving blizzards
Christmas Blizzard
Just plain blizzards
Sitting at gas stations waiting for a truck to deliver gasoline
The warehouses and train tracks were working warehouses and tracks.
Rockmount Ranch Wear (still there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver