Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 AM

3 posts, read 25,307 times

Advertisements

Saturdays is still there, only it's not a nightclub anymore. It's a 18 and over nude dancing club. The "Roachlight" on E. Colfax is a Mexican restaurant now. The Four Seasons went C&W in the 80's and competed on the east side for business with the Zanza Bar. I worked as a bouncer at the Z-Bar on and off in the early 80's. Both the Four Seasons and the Z-Bar are long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 59,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonejudy View Post
the tally ho ??
Was that in Lakewood on West Alameda? A sort of wood and nautical themed place with captain's chairs etc.??

I was there once if that's the place.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:51 PM

59 posts, read 350,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonealongtime View Post
Was that in Lakewood on West Alameda? A sort of wood and nautical themed place with captain's chairs etc.??

I was there once if that's the place.
Yes - I think it is now the Olive Garden.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,123 times
Default Lingo the Drifter

Does anyone remember Lingo the Drifter from the '50's? He was a folksinger, had a radio program and taught a CU extension class in Folk Songs of Protest. He wore buckskins. Bought a mountain near Denver and built a home there. Researched brain chemistry.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 10,851 times
I lived in Aurora in the early to mid 1970s, and very fondly remember a music club called Ebbett's Field. I saw great music there, including Tom Waits, Asleep at the Wheel, John Prine, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, etc. What I found amusing was the man out front who would stamp your hand red or black--red, meaning you are 21 and can drink anything, and black, you are under 21 and have to drink 3.2 beer...EXCEPT, everyone he stamped black he'd advise: "See the man at the back door." The man at the back door checked your stamp to make sure it was black, then opened the back door, which led you into a small interior mall, where the first establishment on the right was a liquor store. Laws or no laws, they did a knock-down business--you'd buy a bottle of something and order soft drinks inside Ebbett's Field as mixers! It was a crazy time. Great music, great people, hippie paradise.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:19 AM

16 posts, read 440,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moo-moo View Post
I lived in Aurora in the 70's. My Dad would always listen to Allan Berg. It was a shame when he was shot....Does anyone remember Jolly's restaurant on Colfax, Zips restaurant, or a bar called Saturdays?
I remember Saturday's, it was in a building with it's sister bar, Friday's. Friday's had a disk jockey, and Saturday's had live music.(I'm still trying to remember the band that used to play there that had the drummer that would light his drums on fire while playing the instrumental part of "Beginnings" by Chicago.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendo View Post
I lived in Aurora in the early to mid 1970s, and very fondly remember a music club called Ebbett's Field. I saw great music there, including Tom Waits, Asleep at the Wheel, John Prine, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, etc. What I found amusing was the man out front who would stamp your hand red or black--red, meaning you are 21 and can drink anything, and black, you are under 21 and have to drink 3.2 beer...EXCEPT, everyone he stamped black he'd advise: "See the man at the back door." The man at the back door checked your stamp to make sure it was black, then opened the back door, which led you into a small interior mall, where the first establishment on the right was a liquor store. Laws or no laws, they did a knock-down business--you'd buy a bottle of something and order soft drinks inside Ebbett's Field as mixers! It was a crazy time. Great music, great people, hippie paradise.
If I'm not mistaken the place used to be known as Marvelous Marv's in the early 70's, changed their name in 1973 I believe. But Trendo is right, it was a great place for live entertainment. saw a couple acts Trendo listed plus Renaissance, Tim Weisberg, Sanford Townsend Band, Dion DiMucci, Michael Stanley Band, and many other acts.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 PM

36 posts, read 55,901 times
Anyone who may remember Buster Snider will get a kick out of this.

Retired Denver policeman James "Buster" Snider was seventy years old when he was caught soliciting sex from an undercover policewoman last February.

The 2002 Hall of Shame - Page 2 - News - Denver - Westword

Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendo View Post
I lived in Aurora in the early to mid 1970s, and very fondly remember a music club called Ebbett's Field. It was a crazy time. Great music, great people, hippie paradise....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
...it was a great place for live entertainment. saw a couple acts Trendo listed plus Renaissance, Tim Weisberg, Sanford Townsend Band, Dion DiMucci, Michael Stanley Band, and many other acts.
Yes Ebbet's has been mentioned in this thread before. It really was a crazy time, I have a couple stories that I will not post here because, well, I do not think the people involved would appreciate it being out on the internet.
I was underage for almost the entire time Ebbet's existed, but I managed okay.

The shows that I remember the most were Leon Redbone, Pure Prairie League and Joan Armatrading. But Marty Mull was good too. Thanks, Chuck.

I saw Commander Cody back in those days, but I don't think the concert was at Ebbet's. I remember it being at DU.

After Ebbet's closed, we then got the Rainbow Music Hall. Saw some really good shows there. Thanks, Chuck and Barry.

Before we ever had Ebbet's or the Rainbow, there was Mammoth Gardens (which is now the Fillmore) (and Tulagi's in Boulder, saw Robert Palmer there.)
Probably my favorite shows were at Mammoth, which only existed for about 8 months. A concert there was a sweaty but intimate experience, and some of the best acts of the day performed: Santana, Johnny Winter, The Who, Jethro Tull, Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, Mountain, Tommy Bolin. All my babysitting money went to Mammoth Gardens--good thing concert tickets were so cheap back then.

Bikinmikein, I remember Buster Snider's storied career, and was still living in Denver when he got his comeuppance.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,937,272 times
I saw the Runaways at Ebbets Field and then went to the Auditorium and saw Bread the same night..Even the Runaways went to the Bread concert to check it out....
And how about the Rainbow Music Hall?? That was a GREAT place... Saw Rick Derringer & Carmine Apice with a cple other people in a band... Also Saw Suzie Quatro there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver