U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 PM

805 posts, read 684,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana56 View Post

the Cooper Theater, when it opened for Cinerama, served orange juice and snacks at little tables around the perimeter of the seats. and there were ashtrays at every seat, too.
I remember standing in the line that wrapped all the way around the Cooper when I went to see Star Wars with my dad.

Quote:
Sid's Fine Foods in UHills, gourmet way before Whole Foods
My dad was hooked on their Bing Cherry tea and this is where I was introduced to Famous Amos cookies in the brown paper bag; before they were bought by some mega-multi-ruin-it-all food company.

Quote:
Red Miller and the Orange Crush
Red Miller and the Denver Gold

Quote:
The ski bus from school on Saturday mornings
Ski bus breaking down on the way home and being upset because we were going to miss Mork & Mindy!

Quote:
Daniel's Park (now it's all houses! eek!)
I may or may not know some people who set fire to the dumpster there in protest when we drove all the way out there and discovered that boulders had been placed outside the parking lot to stop the hundreds of kids that showed up to party on the weekend.

Quote:
When the only thing at Arapahoe and I-25 was a Texaco and a Japanese steak house?
Or the Trail Dust Steakhouse was SOOO far out of town.

Quote:
Joyriding on County Line, cause you never saw any cars?
Back when it had hills...

Quote:
The Valley Highway....
Google Maps still shows that name and it warms my heart in a way that only people participating in this thread could understand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,899,648 times
Quote:
. . . the Apple Tree Shanty. . .
Out on east Colfax, my favorite ribs ever - thanks for the memory.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 AM

4,662 posts, read 3,319,370 times
Default Denver TV news 1950s - 1970s. Enjoy :)

KMGH 7 News 1977 - YouTube

KLZ/KMGH History - YouTube

KOA channel 4 Denver- show closing and start of news 2/25/78 - YouTube

KOA-TV News Watch 4 February 22, 1978 - YouTube

KWGN News Update 1977 - YouTube

KMGH Reporters and Anchors - 70's - 80's - YouTube

Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 AM

13 posts, read 18,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I may or may not know some people who set fire to the dumpster there in protest when we drove all the way out there and discovered that boulders had been placed outside the parking lot to stop the hundreds of kids that showed up to party on the weekend.

Back when it had hills...

Google Maps still shows that name and it warms my heart in a way that only people participating in this thread could understand.
Daniel's Park---totally justified!!! Even my GRANDPARENTS used to party there. have photos of Grandma standing on the chimney in the 20s, really!

County Line---....and if you hit just the right speed, you could go airborne over the troughs without hitting the front bumper on the uptake! You were there!!!!

Valley Hiway---that's my litmus test for out-of-towners without actually asking where they grew up in California.....

We went to different schools together, I just know it

Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM

I liked the pork with that wonderful plum sauce....mmmmmmmm

And on West Colfax, there was the Copper Kitchen, where you got to pick out a toy on the way out. Seems to me they were miniature copper pots or something, you got to pick one out of the box at the front door.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Thanks, KaBoom!!!! What a time machine!

Anyone remember when Mt Evans was on fire one summer, and the lake at Wash Park was so red it looked like it was filled with blood? That must have been in the early '60s, I would think.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM

I will see your news casts and raise you a Blinky's Fun Club "Happy Birthday".

Blinky the Clown - YouTube

Last edited by Prodigal Native; 05-22-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 12:58 PM

8,089 posts, read 15,924,428 times
Yea, nana56--I remember just about all of that about Denver. "That" Denver--the one I knew--doesn't exist anymore. Too bad that what replaced it really sucks for the most part, in my opinion. I remember the fire on Mt. Evans quite well. Turned Denver sunsets orange for days. It was in the early 1960's--1961 or 1962 if memory serves.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Daniel's Park---totally justified!!!
I still wonder about the girl I met there who "borrowed" her dad's car and was last seen dancing on the roof while her friends danced on the hood...

Quote:
County Line---....and if you hit just the right speed, you could go airborne over the troughs without hitting the front bumper on the uptake! You were there!!!!
Family lore has it that when I was a baby and wouldn't go to sleep my parents would put me in the car and take me for a ride on County Line - I didn't fall asleep until we got down there and started going over the hills. I will have to ask them if they got airborne or not.

Quote:
Valley Hiway---that's my litmus test for out-of-towners without actually asking where they grew up in California.....
Mine is if they say "the" before I-25. They may do it in California and other places, but "the" does NOT belong in front of I-whatever; you wouldn't say, "I am going to drive THE Colfax Avenue and throw pennies at the hookers"... not that I ever did that either (but my step-brother did).

Old 05-23-2012, 03:51 PM

1,242 posts, read 908,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard dawg View Post
Yes, Buckingham Square is no more! I remember when it opened (age showing here). I grew up on the east side in Aurora. As for Whataburger, there was one on Havana just south of Sixth Ave and a Burger Chef at Sixth and Peoria. There was a Red Barn on E. Colfax near Kingston St. that is now a pawn shop. there were 2 Der Weinerschnitzels on E. Colfax. One is gone and the other is now a breakfast/coffee/smoothie stop. Also, there was a Denver Drumstick on E. Colfax, but I'm not sure what it is now.

Stormy's last name was Rottman. He was a fixture for decades on TV.
I used to work at the Drumstick on E. Colfax and it burnt down in 1977 or 78....I remember all those restaurants as we lived in Aurora for years...

Also does anyone remember Just Binky's that was on 6th just west of Havana???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver