Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The original Cherry Creak Shopping Center opened in 1953. It was nothing more then a glamorized strip mall. It was totally irrelevant to Cinderella City, which was world class when it opened in 1968.

But the original Cherry Creak had it days too, in the 1950s. I believe it was the first shopping center outside of Downtown Denver, and probably started the decline of Downtown. But it couldn't compete with any of the suburban malls, until the new Cherry Creak Mall was built.
Temple Buell, the architect who designed the shopping center, was known as the father of the shopping mall. I think he died the same year the brand new Cherry Creek Mall was finished: 1990.
Temple Buell
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Remember when my folks would bring home a bag of Rocky Builts's burgers................yum!

Was the club Sid King's Crazy horse? Knew someone that applied for a waitress job at Sids....................she said he asked her to remove her clothes ........that was not her "bag."
I remember Rick's Char-broiler, Rockybuilt, Shakey's, and the Hatch Cover.
My husband had his bachelor party at Sid King's on Colfax. Yes I'm old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbuck2 View Post
Cherry Creek shoping center was opened in 1953.... the whole area was a big city dump, right on the creek.
It was indeed the former city dump. Temple Buell bought the property in 1925.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,338 times
Does anyone remember Yesterdays bar in Lakewood CO. I forget the cross street, but in was on 14th avenue between Wadsworth and Sheridan.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:51 AM

23 posts, read 73,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crendor View Post
Does anyone remember Yesterdays bar in Lakewood CO. I forget the cross street, but in was on 14th avenue between Wadsworth and Sheridan.
Yesterdays Country, 13th and Harlen.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,330 times
Hi there, I´m new in this forum..
I use to live in Denver in ´76/´77 and liked to visit a beautiful bar downtown which I can´t remember the name of the place or the street anymore. What I do remember was that it was very old, had a beautiful, long wooden full bar and a very large stuffed grizzly bear with a red ribbon round it´s neck. The offices were up stairs, I believe the restrooms too. Does anybody have an idea of which bar I´m talking about?
Sincere wishes

Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearhunter View Post
I use to live in Denver in ´76/´77 and liked to visit a beautiful bar downtown which I can´t remember the name of the place or the street anymore. What I do remember was that it was very old, had a beautiful, long wooden full bar and a very large stuffed grizzly bear with a red ribbon round it´s neck. The offices were up stairs, I believe the restrooms too. Does anybody have an idea of which bar I´m talking about?
Sincere wishes
Was it the Bratskellar ? I remember the German restaurant and bar were downstairsl I think off Larimer Square. Is it still there?? Sure was great, huge fireplace, fun, fun and delish!!

Last edited by mollygee; 11-22-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 6,330 times
If I only knew..

Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Default ........if you remember the following, yes you're getting old.....

OK, how many remember the Toll Booth on the "Denver Boulder Turnpike" at the Broomfield Exit?
The toll was "a dime"!!!!!

I used to be able to drive from my home (3) miles up Sunshine Canyon (west of Boulder) to my office in Commerce City in 45 minutes..............If I had a meeting at ---"Stearns-Roger" at Cherry Creek, it was another 10 minutes.......Remember Stearns-Roger?---great Engineering Firm.

Once a month I had to fly out of Stapleton to Kansas City.......yep, on a DC 3 (aka, C-47)!

Max Choboian and John McCormick played QB for most of the Bronco's season and Mickey Slaughter was the QB for one game--it was his last season!!

Yea, The Good Ole Days

Old 11-23-2013, 03:22 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
OK, how many remember the Toll Booth on the "Denver Boulder Turnpike" at the Broomfield Exit?
The toll was "a dime"!!!!! Sure was! I remember that!

I used to be able to drive from my home (3) miles up Sunshine Canyon (west of Boulder) to my office in Commerce City in 45 minutes..............If I had a meeting at ---"Stearns-Roger" at Cherry Creek, it was another 10 minutes.......Remember Stearns-Roger?---great Engineering Firm.I remember Stearns well, I worked for them at two power plants. They got swallowed up by U.S. Engineering and finally by Raetheon if I recall correctly.

Once a month I had to fly out of Stapleton to Kansas City.......yep, on a DC 3 (aka, C-47)!Flying out of Stapleton was easy, what was easier was a block walk to Quebec an then taking a bus from Quebec to Colfax to Broadway to my house and not worry about car parking fees.

Max Choboian and John McCormick played QB for most of the Bronco's season and Mickey Slaughter was the QB for one game--it was his last season!!

Yea, The Good Ole Days
1966! We finished 4-10. Slaughter and wr Lionel Taylor got traded to Oakland, the first in a series of gawdawful player transactions Lou Saban did. Choboian got cut and McCormick retired as well. McCormick tried to come back in '68 but only lasted the Cinci game (home opener).

We picked him up in '63 by waivers from Minnesota, surprisingly we beat the Patriots 14-10, then San Diego 50-34. Everyone took notice on how we put up 50 points against a team that won the AFL Championship that year. When McCormick had that horrible injury in week 5 of the '63 season he missed all of the '64 season as well And unfortunately had another injury was never the same afterwards. Sad because we beat the Chargers 50-34 that day. We finished 2-11-1 in '63. BTW, John McCormick died on Nov. 12th of cancer.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-23-2013 at 03:32 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
My older brother told me there was a place on north Federal called Aloha Beach. It would have made Pecos Junction look tame from what I'd heard about it.

We used to go to Northwoods Inn when it was across from ACC (Arapahoe Community College?). They served an awesome fillet, about 8 to 10 oz and it would come out on a smoking hot plate. I'd get it a bit rare, cut off a piece and sear it onto the still hot plate! Yum. They had an awesome split-pea soup on Thursday nights.

Has anyone ever heard of or been to the Yum Yum Tree?

Someone mentioned North Glenn Mall, but what about the mall at 84th and just east of I-25? North Valley Mall? How about The Party Place? That's a 3.2 bar I frequented. Some of those places were more 80's nostalgia.
I worked as a dishwasher in the Yum Yum Tree on Colorado Boulevard between the Mexican bit and

the Italian bit. Lots of refried beans to clean off pans and tomato sauce I used a chisel on.

Was Big Time Wrestling a tv show in Denver?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-27-2013 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 11-29-2013, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearhunter View Post
Sincere wishes
Are you thinking of Soapies Smith? It was at
about 15th and Lawrence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver