U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 PM

53 posts, read 378,187 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a job in Centennial near Arapahoe and Parker. Our household income will be around 70k we have 3 kids and 3 dogs. I want to know if were or if we could live comfortably near work? I've done some searches already I know to look for CC or Douglas County Schools. Avoid Aurora if possible. There are no 4 bedroom homes in Highlands Ranch or Parker for $200,000. I've never been there except to interview it looked nice enough. I don't need Utopia I just would like some people opinions of the area from poeple who know it. Cost of living seems a little higher there than were I live in Tempe, AZ but maybe only 5 or 10% higher. Is 70k still at least middle income for the area? Lower end new homes seems to be going for 300k or more do people make more money there or are there just alot of people over extending themselfs?
If anyone could offer some insight on were I should look to live within a 1/2 hour commute of Arapahoe and Parker roads. I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 02:15 PM

210 posts, read 1,258,597 times
Do you want newer construction, or would an older home work? For newer homes you are correct, not many are under $200K aroung the DTC. But if an older home is okay than I would suggest looking west, in Centennial. Most of Centennial was built in the 70s but the neighborhoods overall are well-kept and family-friendly. Plus most areas in Centennial would give you easy access to Arapahoe Road. You could also look more west, in and around Littleton, but that would give you a longer commute (though likely still within your half-hour max).

Old 01-02-2007, 02:41 PM

I don't need a new home but my current home was built in 1960 so newer would be nice or an older home thats been updated.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:01 PM

210 posts, read 1,258,597 times
You're likely to find newer prices in around $200K over in Aurora, but even there my guess is a lot of newer homes will be over your desired price. But you could look at new construction that direction (east). You could look at Castle Rock, but that would be pushing a half-hour commute. Or if you don't mind older homes (which will likely be more in the 200K range) you could look in Centennial or Littleton. Parker and Highlands Ranch would also be good options, but it sounds like you've checked that out already.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 PM

10,903 posts, read 29,383,051 times
Average house in the Denver Metro area is closer to $300,000 than $200,000.

There are lots of home in the Centennial/Parker/HR areas (35 available under $250,000)

I can email 26 at a time.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 37,378 times
Default Dear Fraztoco

First, is your name by chance Frazier? We are Fraziers from Missouri. Just checking. LOL
Anyway, I live in Parker and most people would tell you it's a great place. It's like 10 minutes from my house to Arapahoe/Parker Rd.
It's the cleanest suburb of Denver by far with the least amount of crime. Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree are good too, but they are farther and LT is mostly more expensive. There are some nice areas of Centennial where you could probably get more reasonable prices. Most 4 bedroom homes in my neighborhood would go for AT LEAST $250,000 but most around are close to $300,000 and up.
All I know is, Parker is a very cool place to live, with parks, a brand new rec center going up in addition to the old one...It's huge with an ice rink inside, but anyway, a very cute little old victorian downtown area with shops and restaurants, lots of chain restaurants, Wal-Mart, Super Target, Home Depot, Lowes, all the stuff you need. It's 15 minutes away from the huge mall "Park Meadows", and more and more and more!! LOL
It only takes about 25 minutes to drive from here to Downtown Denver as well. Let me know if you need to know more. One more thing though, the Cherry Creek Trail runs through Parker, and it's wonderful for summer, spring & fall strolls!!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Maybe I should clarify

Appreciate the responses but I ddon't think I was getting what I was looking for. I was looking more for opinions on the areas with in commuting distance and if I could live a decent lifestyle on $70,000 a year in those areas. I realize the median home price is around 300,000 I could probably even get a loan for that amount I just choose not to. Just Like I choose to drive a Dodge truck and not a Lexus. But would that choice put me in North Aurora where everthing I've read tells me I should stay away from.
I don't mind a long commute if it's worth it but I don't want to save money of a house just to spend it on gas and repairs and not atleast have a better lifestyle for the wife and kids. I live in an old 1960's home now that is to small and needs work, I send my kids to a school out of our neighborhood because it's better for them, and I have a long commute to work 26 miles one way sometimes takes 1.5 hours. So I guess I just won't to make sure I would be improving these things by moving to Denver.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,759,751 times
If I were in your shoes, I'd follow TinajaCo's advice and look in Centennial. Cherry Creek schools are quite good, as good as anywhere in the metro area. It's also much closer to everything than some of the further out suburbs, so you'll spend less time in your car driving to everything. Plus, housing costs are much cheaper there.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 PM

I look into Centennial but I'm a lttle confused by the 3 or 4 zip codes and 2 or 3 different High Schools when I search some say Aurora, Englewood, or Parker. Are all these areas good or is there a certain Zip or School I should stay close to? Also are all the schools in the area 5A or are some smaller 4A or 3A? I was in Parker and it did look like a nice place to live just not sure income would support living there. I'd like 4 bedrooms don't need them I would pay $250,000 for the right home in the right area but that's were I choose to draw the line. Partially because I won't be selling my house here at this time so I won't have as much money to put down. On another note we don't have alot of basements here so I wondered what people with them thought. In my home search is it better to find finished or not finished? Is it harder to find them unfinished or finished? Because I kind of like the idea of being able to do what I want with the basement like adding a fourth bedroom.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:04 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,759,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAZToCO View Post
I look into Centennial but I'm a lttle confused by the 3 or 4 zip codes and 2 or 3 different High Schools when I search some say Aurora, Englewood, or Parker. Are all these areas good or is there a certain Zip or School I should stay close to? Also are all the schools in the area 5A or are some smaller 4A or 3A? I was in Parker and it did look like a nice place to live just not sure income would support living there. I'd like 4 bedrooms don't need them I would pay $250,000 for the right home in the right area but that's were I choose to draw the line. Partially because I won't be selling my house here at this time so I won't have as much money to put down. On another note we don't have alot of basements here so I wondered what people with them thought. In my home search is it better to find finished or not finished? Is it harder to find them unfinished or finished? Because I kind of like the idea of being able to do what I want with the basement like adding a fourth bedroom.
It looks like there should be a number of places in Centennial well within in your price range.

The Cherry Creek District includes parts of many municipalities, including Parker and Aurora. So, it's very conceivable that you may end up living in Centennial but the school could be in Aurora or somewhere else. As you may know, school choice allows you to pick any school you like in any district, but of course if you know which one you like, being close to it will give you priority in terms of attending there. You may want to pick your school first and look for housing around it? You can look at the csap scores by looking at csapscores.org.

As for basements, it's generally said that finishing a basement does not add much value to the house either on appraisal or on sale, so finishing a basement is usually a money-losing proposition. So, that would tell me it'd be better to find one already finished if you can. Still, it may be an option if you like the place otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or