U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2007, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 34,386 times
Default Best route Houston to Denver

We will be moving to Denver mid January from Houston. Does anyone happen to know the best driving route? We've heard horror stories about Amarillo and road closures due to snow. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 PM

210 posts, read 1,004,955 times
The fastest route would probably be I-45 north to Dallas, then I-35 north to I-70. If you're concerned about snow, I would recommend checking the forecast a few days before you leave to see if there's snow in the forecase (since it's pretty flat and open terrain, I-70 does get closed if there's snow and wind). If you want to avoid even the chance of that, you could take I-10 west to El Paso, then catch I-25 north. Although they do get weather along there, it's much less frequently, and I-25 is closed much less often due to weather than I-70 is.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:18 PM

53 posts, read 316,228 times
I have made the trip from Houston to Colorado many times. I always took the following basic route:

I-45 North to Dallas
Downtown Dallas switch to I-35E
At Denton take 380 West,
Then switch to 287.
Take 287 All the way to Amarillo, continue north on 287 to Dumas
At Dumas take 87 West to Raton
Take I-25 North from Raton to Denver.

There are several ways in the Dallas area to get onto 287, this one is relatively easy, and work pretty well, however I have family on the North Side of Dallas, so that's one reason I go through Denton. Another option, which is probably better, is to take I20 West just south of Dallas until you get to Fort worth and Get on I-35W, headed North. 287 Branches off of I35W just North of FortWorth. 380 is a Typical Texaqs country road, so using I20- to scoot over to 35W and then up to 287 is probably better.

This keeps you off the boring great plains a little longer than going up to I-70. Also I-70 can get closed down due to high winds/winter storms easier than the more southerly route I usually take. One trip we battled high winds in the Texas Panhandle and it was no fun, until we got to I-25, when we found out I-70 had been closed due to white out conditions of blowing snow.... Boy were we glad we went the way we did. Also you get Texas speed limits, which last I checked were higher than Kansas and Oklahoma.

The automated trip systems will usually give you the North to Kansas West to Denver route as they prefer Interstate highways, 287 is a major highway, divided almost the whole way, so it is as good as an Interstate highway and in Texas has the same speed lmiits as an interstate highway, except slowing down for towns now and then,,,, but there aren't that many towns up there so you don't have to mess to much with that...

Last edited by BrianAggie95; 01-02-2007 at 09:27 PM..

Old 01-03-2007, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 35,102 times
Whatever you do DON'T go through El Paso. Last time we took the trip we went up through OK City and across Kansas. It's fine if you want the interstate. I like going Houston to Weatherford over to Amarillo and then catching 287. I love the change in the land from 50 feet above sea level to the mile high snow covered city.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 AM

41 posts, read 174,010 times
whats taking you out of Houston? I left there in summer. I now live in pittsburgh, Pa.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM

6 posts, read 25,591 times
What about driving from Houston to Littleton this summer? Do the roads get pretty mountainess as u get closer to Littleton? Im in an old Honda and worried whether or not the altitude change could affect my engine/parts, etc. I have family in Lubbock and can stop there for the night, then go on. Please advise.
Thanks.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 AM

590 posts, read 1,003,022 times
If you're coming in on I-70 there are no mountains on the way to Littleton. Elevation climbs slowly as you head west across Kansas. The mountains are west of Littleton.

If you take I-40 to I-25, then you would be crossing Raton Pass on the NM/CO state line and what's called Monument Hill between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock (elevation ~7250 ft).

Cars without superchargers or turbochargers loose about 4% of their power for every 1000 ft of elevation above sea level. So the same car that has 120HP in Florida would have 96HP in Denver. Your transmission will probably shift more often, but that's it. Regular gas in Colorado is 85 octane because of the altitude. There is no reason to buy mid grade or premium to get the higher octane. Higher altitude means you need less octane.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Thank you for responding. My 16yr old Accord is a 4 cylinder, but dont know the horsepower, however I would not be towing anything on the trip up. Does taking the I-70 route make for a longer, but preferred trip? I gather that from Lubbock, Tx, I would end up taking the I-40 to I-25. I'll mapquest it. Any additional input would be appreciated because its just me and my dog : P

Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM

52 posts, read 47,840 times
Take I-45 230 miles north to Dallas then take Exit 286A to get on I-35N then that will take you to Oklahoma City. Stay on I-35N and go through Witchita, Kansas. Then get on I-70W in Salina. Your total time will be 17 hours and 1,100 miles.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Sounds like a good path Georgia. Thanks for the input. Anything helps since I haven't been to CO since I was a kid and that was only to the Pagosa Springs/Durango area, so dont remember much other than those two places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver