Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times

Advertisements

I saw on a news crawler that the tornado that hit Windsor killed one person sofar and is heading in the direction of Ft. Collins.

Hope people can get to a basement or something.

There's temps of about 84° on our eastern border and it's about 44° along the Divide, so there's this tunnel of air coming up from the south along the front range. It looks rough into Wyoming and Idaho too.

Laramie, to be exact. Laramie looks like it's right in the center of it now. We've got something coming up from Trinidad now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,409 times
Those pictures were absolutely amazing! I hope everyone is ok. That is scary.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
I got some exercise today going from my office on the 2nd floor back down to the basement every time the Tornado warning sirens went off here in Longmont today. Apparently one was spotted by police outside of Dacano and in the Niwot area - or at least headed that way.
I was eating lunch when I heard the sirens and announcements go off - first time in our 10 years of living here that they have gone off other than the first Monday of the month "test". Scared the daylights out of me. We had quite the hail right before that.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:46 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I saw on a news crawler that the tornado that hit Windsor killed one person sofar and is heading in the direction of Ft. Collins.

Hope people can get to a basement or something.

There's temps of about 84° on our eastern border and it's about 44° along the Divide, so there's this tunnel of air coming up from the south along the front range. It looks rough into Wyoming and Idaho too.

Laramie, to be exact. Laramie looks like it's right in the center of it now. We've got something coming up from Trinidad now.
That is strange for Laramie.You usually just see dust devils around there. You're right, we've got a "perfect storm" of ingredients-a warm front and a cold front bashing into each other in an unusual location. From the looks of those pics near Windsor and FC, that brute was at least an F4-E. I'm guessing the news will be much worse on the evening news tonight, though I hope not.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I noticed that it felt humid this morning when I left for work - unusual for Denver. Not terribly humid, but noticably. I'm sure that has something to do with it since tornadoes form where cool dry and warm humid air collide.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Every time I decide I'm going to get out and get my run in really quick the skies turn black again and it starts raining. We're about to get it again....I wouldn't have eaten that poptart this morning if I'd had know about this weather .

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Based on the damage shown from the news helicopter photos, along with some wind speed reports made by the media, the tornado that hit Windsor may be more than an F2-E. My guess is an F3-E, maybe even F4-E. That is pretty darned rare in the Front Range area. The storm also moved to the northwest, skidding along the foothills up into Wyoming, and may have hammered around Laramie pretty hard. That is VERY unusual, both for the northwestward movement and the fact that Laramie sits at 7,000 feet elevation. An unusual weather day.

I will repeat what I say about Colorado climate and weather--it may be a lot of things, but benign it is not. Unpredictability and potential violence is expected.

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
It's 64° where I'm at and 22 miles south it's 50° and it looks like a bunch more is coming up from Arizona and New Mexico. I don't know if it's gonna slip off the the east of us and hit the Ark Valley or what, but this is weird.

This is a good time to pay attention to the barometer. I thought I'd seen it was like 28.9 in Denver, but can't find anything for down here.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I noticed that it felt humid this morning when I left for work - unusual for Denver. Not terribly humid, but noticably. I'm sure that has something to do with it since tornadoes form where cool dry and warm humid air collide.
I had noticed the humidity this morning on my way to work, too. When I got into the office, I checked weather.com and the Dew Point was 61. That's pretty juicy air, and gives supercell thunderstorms the fuel they need to develop. Higher humidities are not uncommon along the front range during the summertime when warm, humid air masses push up from the plains states. That is typically when we see our most severe weather here.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:56 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
The latest report is 2 tornados toching down in Laramie. I'm streaming on KUSA as I am typing this. The Windsor area got clocked, including the Kodak plant. There is a lot of damage just east of the Fort St. Vrain Plant and touched down in Milliken, Gilcrest, and Platteville. Also a tornado between the Pawnee Power Plant and Akron. I worked at both of these plants from '70 to '89. Phone lines are down in a lot of the areas. I have the Weather Channel on right now and the storms are forming now between Oakley to Colby, 230 miles east of Denver, and this system is rolling at 45 to 50 m.p.h. I have lived in Colorado all my life, and have seen tornados come through here, but not like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver