Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:46 PM

65 posts, read 212,934 times

Advertisements

I'm reading up a fair amount about Colfax, and just looking at a map the advice of "stay away" seems silly, since it's more than 20 miles long. Obviously, there are going to be differences along that stretch.

What about the the following stretches (well, they join together, but for the sake of some added accuracy)

Colorado to Quebec

And

Quebec to Preoria

My wife and I will be looking for a place in a few months, and will likely look at this region, so with a northern border of 23rd, and a southern of 6th, if you want to refine the area.

Stapleton will likely not be an option -- too pricey. Surely there are small houses in this area (because I've seen them online) but I don't know what the area is like.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
You are talking about a huge area with many different kinds of neighborhoods. When you talk about E. Colfax, people immediately think of what is actually ON Colfax and it is not good.

Park Hill is great (or it used to be); Montbello is not. I would LOVE to have one of those big old houses on 17th between Colorado and Quebec. There are too many lovely neighborhoods in the area that you've delineated to mention. I think once you get out here and drive around you will be able to see the differences and narrow down your search.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
You are talking about a huge area with many different kinds of neighborhoods. When you talk about E. Colfax, people immediately think of what is actually ON Colfax and it is not good.

Park Hill is great (or it used to be); Montbello is not. I would LOVE to have one of those big old houses on 17th between Colorado and Quebec. There are too many lovely neighborhoods in the area that you've delineated to mention. I think once you get out here and drive around you will be able to see the differences and narrow down your search.

Okay. What would be the general boundaries of Park Hill, or Montbello? Why is Park Hill going down hill? What is wrong with Montbello?

I'm not opposed to living within a few blocks of Colfax. That seems to be avoided by the plague by many people. I would like to know what the actual stretches along Colfax are like in this area.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:57 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
I'd live off of Colfax West of Quebec as that is where you'd find neighborhoods like Park Hill and Mayfair. I'd hesitate to live much further east then Quebec without seeing the area first. It might be fine for some and not fine for others. Montbello isn't off of Colfax. It's a lot further North.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:52 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,106 times
Colfax is considered 15th Ave with a name. It is the longest commercial street in the country running through Aurora, Denver, Lakewood and all the way up to Golden. Hence, you will have basically everything, good and bad, that any street can offer. The stretch you ask about is basically fine for any city dweller. The closer you get to 6th Ave PKWY, the more you will see the prices get even higher the Stapelton as you get closer to the Hill Top and Country Club area. 17th Ave PKWY is also incredibly pricy as this is the south end of Park Hill and the prefered section. Getting above 26th will find a drop in home prices as the home are smaller and there are more incidents of crime in this area. Google the Mayfair neighborhood as this is central to your boundries. I would avoid east of Quebec as this area has been transitioning into a less then desireable area, but probably the most affordable. Also, google Congress Park and South City Park.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
Montbello is nowhere near Colfax .... so just throw that entire post out..

There are plenty of great things directly on Colfax as well....and plenty of nice places east of Quebec too.

You have not posted your desired price range or house requirements so it is tough to say which area you may want to concetrate on. However two things are fairly consistent when it comes to Colfax.

1. People from the county know nothing about it. To them the numerous and varied resteraunts and bars mean very little as they are not in strip malls.

2. Racism runs deep in Denver. Colfax is a diverse area, the results are sadly easy to predict.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Montbello is nowhere near Colfax .... so just throw that entire post out..

There are plenty of great things directly on Colfax as well....and plenty of nice places east of Quebec too.

You have not posted your desired price range or house requirements so it is tough to say which area you may want to concetrate on. However two things are fairly consistent when it comes to Colfax.

1. People from the county know nothing about it. To them the numerous and varied resteraunts and bars mean very little as they are not in strip malls.

2. Racism runs deep in Denver. Colfax is a diverse area, the results are sadly easy to predict.
We're looking for a place that is somewhat near the new Medical Center (Anschutz, if I spelled it right). Preferable a 3 BR, 2 BA with Basement. We could go with 2 BR if it has the basement. It doesn't have to be a large place, and would ideally like to spend less than 250K. We'd like to be able to walk to things around town (we currently live in TN, and have to drive everywhere for anything. ) but of course realize that for a weekly run to a big supermarket or something is okay. We won't be carless, but we'd like to use our cars less, if you get my drift.

I assume by your two points you mean that having actual storefronts on the street, with an ethically mixed community are the two main criteria for "ghetto-ness" in this area? If having restaurants where the waiters know limited english makes it "scary" then I'm fine with "scary." We're also fine with "seediness" as long as it isn't pushed directly at us. we're "live and let live" people.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:09 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmur View Post

Okay. What would be the general boundaries of Park Hill, or Montbello? Why is Park Hill going down hill? What is wrong with Montbello?

I'm not opposed to living within a few blocks of Colfax. That seems to be avoided by the plague by many people. I would like to know what the actual stretches along Colfax are like in this area.
Park Hill isn't going downhill - uphill, if anything, as more younger couples/families move into the area.

You'll find nice, smaller homes on the north side of Colfax between Quebec and Monaco - I guess that would be considered south Park Hill, or at least "Park Hill Adjacent". I wouldn't look anywhere east of Quebec though - houses in this area are generally ugly, tiny, although cheap, and the businesses along Colfax from Quebec to Peoria tend to be more immigrant oriented, although you can find some good Mexican food along this stretch in some of the little family owned restaurants. Living in Stapleton, I drive through this area almost daily and although it has a bad reputation, it's lively and has decent foot traffic.

From Monaco to Colorado Blvd., I think Colfax has a lot of interesting businesses and decent housing within a few blocks north and south of it - and prices would be way cheaper than Stapleton or Lowry.

I'd say you need a good real estate agent and need to see these areas for yourself to see what fits your comfort level.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmur View Post
We're looking for a place that is somewhat near the new Medical Center (Anschutz, if I spelled it right). Preferable a 3 BR, 2 BA with Basement. We could go with 2 BR if it has the basement. It doesn't have to be a large place, and would ideally like to spend less than 250K. We'd like to be able to walk to things around town (we currently live in TN, and have to drive everywhere for anything. ) but of course realize that for a weekly run to a big supermarket or something is okay. We won't be carless, but we'd like to use our cars less, if you get my drift.

I assume by your two points you mean that having actual storefronts on the street, with an ethically mixed community are the two main criteria for "ghetto-ness" in this area? If having restaurants where the waiters know limited english makes it "scary" then I'm fine with "scary." We're also fine with "seediness" as long as it isn't pushed directly at us. we're "live and let live" people.
If your income level fits, you might want to try Stapleton's affordable housing: Stapleton (http://stapletondenver.com/Income-Qualified.aspx - broken link)

They're currently building a new affordable condo complex on the east end of Stapleton that will be across from a town center and within biking distance of Anschutz - very nice area too. The income cap may be a problem though, but check it out.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,093 times
From Colo to Quebec on Colfax is wonderful. I live a few south of Colfax on Kearney and I love it there. There are a number 2 bdr houses in the area around the $250 range.

North of Colfax in Park Hill is even better (keeping south of MLK). Unfortunately, real estate isn't as affordable. You probably would be able to find something around Johnson and Wales University - a neighborhood my real estate agent absolutely adores. Also note that if you live near 23rd between Colo and Quebec, you can take RTD route 20 directly to the med center. It is a really pleasant and convenient ride.

If you are considering property east of Quebec, I would shoot for a house that was at least south of 13th and west of Verbena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver