Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:41 AM

8,933 posts, read 20,354,280 times

Advertisements

Yep, the weather people are saying that between 3 and 6 inches will drop between Friday morning and Friday afternoon. The way they are talking, it will be more like 6 inches. Some of the "non-skiing" people are saying, "enough is enough for awhile". Yea, right........tell that to Mother Nature!! Then, we have a descent weekend and week until another snowstorm will be tracked for next weekend.
The wife and I were raised in the "snow belt" of Indiana and Michigan, but that was a lot of years ago when we were much younger. We love watching it snow, but our bodies just can't take much more of the winters here. Shoveling snow is getting REALLY, REALLY old!! Even having a snowblower put a strain on our bodies now.
Is there anyone else here in the Denver metro area that feel the same way???

Old 01-05-2007, 02:53 AM

198 posts, read 959,157 times
As usual, please post some more pics of the snow!

It will be 83 here today, and unusually cloudy with no relief in sight...
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:36 AM

Sorry, no pictures from us. We have gotten VERY, VERY tired of the snow. Looking very forward to our move out of Colorado later this year.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 AM

616 posts, read 3,003,567 times
I'll even admit that getting so many storms in such a short period is getting tiring with day to day life. They still hadn't cleared out the snow from the last two storms from the neighborhoods. It is like going off roading, among the ruts and mounds. The kids are happy since they finally get a day off of school (the last two storms came over the Chrstmas break when they were out). Usually, we don't get storms so close together, at least not big ones. I guess we have El Nino to thank.

However, I can't wait until it stops and we can get up in the mountains and do some skiing.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,969,613 times
Default shovelling...

Nobody likes work, but I spent MAYBE 15 minutes shoveling off snow this morning, if that. The first snow did take a while, but since then, the amount of time this takes is minimal. Certainly nothing compared to taking care of lawn and landscaping in the summertime.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 AM

26,202 posts, read 48,994,276 times
Default TFOX, that is an interesting comparison....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Nobody likes work, but I spent MAYBE 15 minutes shoveling off snow this morning, if that. The first snow did take a while, but since then, the amount of time this takes is minimal. Certainly nothing compared to taking care of lawn and landscaping in the summertime.
....to mowing the lawn....I usually do it every 5 days during season, until July or so, then weekly....hmmmm....anyone wanna see my pix of a battery powered mower..... maybe we should post pix here in the summer.... after all, an hour with the lawn and an hour with the snow shovel are a lot alike...so what's the difference...except for the temperature.... work is work....

Still, I'd like 'boating' and others with snow blowers to comment on these things... do you use a single stage or dual stage....etc.... how about some pix of using the snow blower....

Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Still, I'd like 'boating' and others with snow blowers to comment on these things... do you use a single stage or dual stage....etc.... how about some pix of using the snow blower....
I'm not sure about singe or dual stage. Sears had 3 for the same price due to a sale, so I got the one with the most horsepower (8hp) and biggest bite (27"). It does a better job than many of my neighbors blowers, especially when the snow is wet and heavy. It is nicer than shoveling, but you still get a workout trying to maneauver them around. This is its 3rd winter and have gotten a fair amount of use out of it (far better than shoveling my long drive and sidewalks). So far this year, I have used it more than all of last winter.

Here's a snowblower pic. It's not my blower, but looks very much like it. It is affectionately known as Snow Eater and belongs to a guy I know in Illinois.

Last edited by gpraceman; 01-05-2007 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM

It is (was) a 2-stroke that we bought for about $400 at Lowe's in Parker last year and only had to use it twice after we bought it. It does GREAT in snow that is a foot or less and in dry (not real wet) snow. If the snow is too wet/heavy, the snow sometimes can get clogged up in the chute are of the blower. You have to rock the blower back and forth to get the snow out. In deep snow (more than a foot), you have to clear a small path at a time or it will clog up.
Ok, why did I say the word "was", we forgot to add oil to the gas during the pre-Christmas blizzard and the engine froze up on the blower.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 AM

17,980 posts, read 27,436,005 times
http://C:\Documents and Settings\Patrick\Desktop\snow.JPG (broken link)

You guys in Denver have got a lot to complain about. Wow. How would you like to be in the Ark Valley about now?

If the picture doesn't come through, please tell me what I did wrong. Thx.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 AM

When the snow is deep, I take half a bite so as to not bog the engine down too much. I think I ever stalled it out. If the chute gets clogged, the blower has a brush that you can use to clear it and for clean up before putting it away. Fortunately, I don't have to add oil to the gas for mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver