Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2022, 12:38 AM

141 posts, read 90,493 times

Advertisements

We're staying at an AirBNB in the hills above Boulder for 4 nights in mid-December. My wife and I are coming with our 4 young kids (oldest is 8, youngest 1) and are planning on doing some relaxing, hiking and sledding (if we get snow). None of us have spent time in Colorado and have heard amazing things. The plan is to cook most meals at the house, although I suspect we'll head down into Boulder to grab lunch and check out what the town has to offer at some point.

We'll be joined by another couple who are bringing their infant baby. They said they'd be willing to babysit all the kids and give my wife and I a night out on the town. We're excited but have many questions.

1) Initially our plan was to go out in Boulder because the Pearl Street Mall is a 15 minute Uber ride from the house we're staying in, while Downtown Denver is a 45 minute ride. We've never been to either Boulder or Denver and assumed the nightlife would be similar, but after doing some research it seems Boulder's offerings are much more limited. It's a college town and the nightlife seems catered toward that crowd. We currently live near a college town but far from a big city and so were thinking we'd rather have a big city nightlife experience since it's harder for us to get to.

So, question 1: Is Denver really that much better than Boulder for nightlife, or are we reading the situation incorrectly? Is it worth the extra 30 minutes in the Uber?

2) Denver seems to have a lot of nightlife neighborhoods - Lodo, Highlands, Capitol Hill, Uptown, South Broadway, etc. I've been reading about these areas but it's hard to really get a sense without going there. Given that I'm 42 and my wife is 37, Lodo sounds a little too young for us. We like a nice mix of pubs, cocktail lounges, dive bars, etc where everything is in walking distance. Don't love the super-bro vibe. Some examples of nightlife neighborhoods we've enjoyed in other cities: Passyunk Square in Philly, Capitol Hill and Ballard in Seattle, Mission District in San Francisco, Main Street in Downtown Houston, Uptown in Minneapolis, Downtown LA, East Village and Park Slope in NYC.

Question 2: Assuming we'll have about 4-5 hours of time in Denver between 9pm and 2am, which area(s) should we go bar hopping in? We can either stay in one area or Uber between areas.

First we thought check out the Lower and Upper Highlands, but that's kind of far from the other areas that seem cool to us - Uptown, Capitol Hill, and South Broadway. And I'm sure there are other areas not on our radar. Is RINO worth checking out? Hard to get a read on that neighborhood. As I said, Lodo is probably not for us but is there a classy cocktail lounge downtown that would be a good place to start the night?

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 09:56 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
Denver has a different vibe than a lot of the places you mentioned that you like. I feel a little challenged by your question without really knowing what you are looking for. I think you’ll find many parts of Denver catering to a younger crowd at night. I enjoy Rino, with its many brew pubs, but not sure that is what you are looking for. Lodo, though you seem to have written that off, may actually have more of what you seek. It has speakeasies, wine bars, cocktail lounges, good restaurants and less of the brew pub atmosphere of Rino.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 12,029 times
Honestly, being close to your ages ourselves, my husband and I really enjoy downtown Littleton more than downtown Denver. Highly walkable, condensed, wine bars, Irish pub, boutique restaurants off the Main Street, etc. it’s changed over the years and a few less authentic businesses have swooped in, but we still enjoy an evening out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver