Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:07 PM

303 posts, read 817,201 times

Advertisements

I may move to Colorado from Oregon. My wife will be a full time student. In oregon car registrations are good for two years and are cheap. We may not even be in colo for more than two years. How strict are they about out of state plates. I would be tempted to keep my oregon licence and plates and just say I just got here if I ever get stopped.

I also have a moral objection to the real ID act, faceprinting and fingerprinting which Colo does. It almost goes to the point of being a religious objection.

What will they do to me if I just never change over and keep my oregon stuff for a few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Is this faceprinting and fingerprinting something new? I've never heard of that, and I've had a Colorado license for 28 yrs. I went with both my kids to get their licenses and nothing like that was ever done with them, either.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:49 PM

355 posts, read 1,399,376 times
i still have out of state license and plates .....just say your not staying here if you get pulled over otherwise you will have like a 500$ fine if you were here over certain amount of time

Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 PM

303 posts, read 817,201 times
Colorado has fingerprinted people when getting a license for years

The face thing apparently has not yet happend but there was talk. Do a google on colorado license and biometric

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
It's not a full set of prints. It's a print of your right index finger. And I'm not going to waste my time googling something that isn't even happening.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times
It's a complicated issue. I have the same exact dilemma (though opposite scenario) since I'm going to be in California for a one-year master's program but I plan on coming immediately back to Colorado (unless if I just love it down there so much I don't want to come back, which I seriously doubt). I'm not sure what to do either. At major colleges all over the nation that attract out of state students you will see a lot of out of state plates. 95% of the time, nothing bad happens, but technically you are breaking the law by not being registered in that state if you operate the vehicle there for over a certain period of time (it has nothing to do with your voting residence; it's whether or not the vehicle is being operated in the state, regardless of the intentions of the person driving it-- although similar rules apply for driver's licenses). A really big deal is the emissions test; some states might not have a test. Colorado does. California has the strictest emissions test in the nation. There might actually be a way to get emissions certified in Colorado even if you don't have the car registered here (although don't quote me on that, that might only apply to people from Wyoming that drive over the state border every day to work-- it's something to look into). In theory somebody could report you. I doubt you would get pulled over for having out of state plates, but if you got pulled over for something else the question could come up. But the thing is, if you're still covered under your parents' auto insurance plan (I don't know if you're in that age bracket or not), most car insurance companies will still cover you when you go out of state as a student (as long as you are an active, full time student). If it's just you with your own insurance, your insurance company may no longer cover you if you move out of state. If that's true you MUST get driver's insurance in Colorado-- you CANNOT drive around without being insured. But beyond legal issues, a lot of funny stuff can happen when you have out of state plates-- I've known people who had their out of state license plates get stolen off their car before. I'm not sure if this applies in Colorado but in certain states when other drivers see you have out of state plates, they start becoming aggressive. Just understand there is a certain risk involved in doing what you're proposing doing. I'm not sure what I'm going to do either.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM

182 posts, read 666,405 times
Leaving out of state plates on really stirs up some Colorado people, and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they did turn you in. As previous posters have pointed out, it has the potential to create serious problems with insurance, which in a worst case scenario could ruin you financially forever. I remember some of your other posts and know that you need to economize, but cheating on your plates is not a good way to do it. Nor is lying to law enforcement a good strategy. Ask Martha Stewart how well that worked out for her.

You will pay for your license and registration, and an ownership tax based on a declining percentage of the original MSRP of your car. I think if your car is ten years old or older it goes to a flat tax of just a few dollars.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM

6,599 posts, read 9,153,142 times
I recently (~1 year ago) registered my vehicle and obtained a Colorado driver's license and the entire process wasn't any different from the other two states I've lived in, to tell you the truth. I was not faceprinted and I don't remember giving a full set of fingerprints either (although maybe I did and forgot?)

The only odd thing to me was the fact that I had to go to two different places to get my license and plates, since registration is specific to each county, and of course, like any other state, the DMV is open only during the week, so it's tough to find the time when you work a regular 8-5 schedule and haven't accrued many hours off from work yet.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

676 posts, read 2,787,622 times
I do know that from times that I have been pulled over they ask about my current address on my license. Aparently they can ticket you if you haven't provided an updated address on the back if you have moved. They might also catch you if they run your plates and see that you have a colorado address listed on any of your info.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I may move to Colorado from Oregon. My wife will be a full time student. In oregon car registrations are good for two years and are cheap. We may not even be in colo for more than two years. How strict are they about out of state plates. I would be tempted to keep my oregon licence and plates and just say I just got here if I ever get stopped.

I also have a moral objection to the real ID act, faceprinting and fingerprinting which Colo does. It almost goes to the point of being a religious objection.

What will they do to me if I just never change over and keep my oregon stuff for a few years?
College students who are not working in Colorado and have who not obtained Colorado residency for any other purpose (like for getting in-state tuition) generally do not have to register their vehicle in Colorado. Here is the state statute. Read it for yourself:

Quote:
Colorado Revised Statutes, Sec. 42-3-103:

(4) (a) Within thirty days after becoming a resident of Colorado, an owner of a motor vehicle required to be registered by subsection (1) of this section shall register such vehicle with the department, irrespective of such vehicle being registered within another state or country. A person who violates this paragraph (a) is subject to the penalties provided in section 42-6-139.

(b) Within forty-five days after the owner has returned to the United States, the provisions of this title relative to the registration of motor vehicles and the display of number plates shall not apply to motor vehicles registered with and displaying plates issued by the armed forces of the United States in foreign countries for vehicles owned by military personnel.

(c) (I) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this subsection (4) and section 42-1-102 (62) and (81), a nonresident shall be exempt from registering a motor vehicle owned by such person if the motor vehicle is a private passenger vehicle weighing less than sixty-five hundred pounds and the person is:

(A) A nonresident, gainfully employed within the boundaries of this state, who uses a motor vehicle in commuting daily from such person's home in another state to and from such person's place of employment within this state; or

(B) A nonresident student who is enrolled in a full-time course of study at an institution of higher education located within this state, if the motor vehicle owned by such person displays a valid nonresident student identification tag issued by the institution where the student is enrolled.

(II) Any person who is exempt from the provisions of this title concerning the registration of a motor vehicle pursuant to this paragraph (c) shall comply with the applicable provisions of the motor vehicle registration laws of such person's state of residence.

(III) This paragraph (c) shall apply only if the state in which the owner resides extends the same privileges to Colorado residents gainfully employed or enrolled in an institution of higher education within the boundaries of that state.
Note the specific requirements of (B) above.

If you establish Colorado residency to gain in-state tuition status (or for any other purpose), you sure as heck had better register your vehicle here. Though I do not have first hand knowledge of this, some people I know who work in Colorado higher education tell me that failure to register a vehicle in Colorado can be used as evidence to revoke in-state tuition status. Besides, living in Colorado and using Colorado roads, but failing to pay to register a vehicle here is just being a deadbeat. The rest of us who follow the law and pay our taxes don't appreciate it one damned bit. If you live here, pay your fair share of the tax burden or get the hell out. Simple enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver