Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 PM

272 posts, read 620,811 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Downtown Denver from Westminster. Who else is a former suburbanite living Downtown? How was the transition? As for me, I have no complaints. I'm four blocks away from 16th Street Mall. I can walk practically everywhere. It's pretty convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Just wondering about your demographics - age, family, etc? Are you in a condo, apt, loft, etc?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
I wanted to do exactly what you've done. But we own a house in Thornton, and the selling is pretty iffy there. Plus, the rents made me gag for downtown. They just seem to be skyrocketing. I should also note that we are now spoiled by tons of room, which is just not what we'd get by renting downtown for our desired price. I'm very happy for you though. I would much rather live downtown. Although I absolutely love my house.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:50 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,476 times
I loved the time I spent living downtown but can't believe I paid that ungodly rent for as long as I did!!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:39 PM

you know, sometimes it's just the lifestyle that's worth it. When I lived downtown, my rent was really affordable. I think that's changed immensely. Or, I'm spoiled. It just seems highly inflated right now.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:03 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Yes, it's expensive, though it's surprising how much the rent drops just a few blocks east of Broadway.

On the other hand, if your job is also downtown and you can walk, that can save a lot of money on gas and parking, not to mention time.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:17 PM

tfox: I totally agree with you. However, we are chained down by our home, and we just didn't want to be in the position to have to pay to sell, or worse, not sell at all. Overall, we've become happy with our decision. We started by landscaping the front of our house. And after accomplishing that feat, we've begun working on all kinds of things in the house improvement wise. Nothing expensive, but small things really can change the look of your home. We spent 4 yrs. doing nothing (well, not nothing, we worked full-time and went to college), but now that I'm done, I have time to fix stuff and make changes.

What I meant by spoiled is that before we bought a home, we paid $800 for a one bedroom, with a pool and a gym, and parking. That was just four years ago. Everything has changed since, and we just couldn't see sacrificing to live in a small spot with no amenities for more money --- when we really just want to move out of state.

In the end it just made sense to us to sit tight and continue saving $$. For me, that's the real issue with people and moving, you gotta have $$$. And then the research...

But...still jealous of you downtowners!!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
And, if you work in the burbs, you're better off living in the burbs. It's whatever works for you.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 AM

Actually, I work downtown, which was why I was getting so frustrated with the burb life. I've found ways that work for me with commute. I've gotten my commute down to 30 minutes, and that's on the bus, so I've saved some sanity there.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
I live a few blocks off Broadway and love it, but work in Saudi Aurora. I would love to work downtown as I could walk to work. I don't rent and believe buying is the best option as you get decent space and the prices are coming down again due to the amount of foreclosures. I will never move to the burbs as it feels like everyone wants to know your business and you have to drive to get to anything. Some folks like that but I prefer being in the thick of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver