Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 16,574 times

Advertisements

My husband was born in Denver, and he is eager to move back that way. I have hesitated for a long time because of my personal resistance to moving yet again, but I have been to Colorado before and experienced everything from fantastic lightning storms to white outs to sunburn. I currently live in Reno and the weather isn't a big concern.

I thought I had found a bunch of great deals on craiglist for several rentals off of Colfax in Aurora. The pictures made the areas look nice enough. Then I read on here all of the disappointing news about that area. I spent the majority of my life in Oakland so I have extreme ideas about good and bad neighborhoods. The first place I lived here was what several people referred to as "the worst area in Reno" and I almost had to laugh, but I really don't want to chance it in a new place.

I was really hoping to get into a 2-bdrm house for not much more than $900/mo. Is that pretty unrealistic if I want to move to a decent area by some good schools? So, where can my family go out that way that is nice and affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalynn20 View Post
I thought I had found a bunch of great deals on craiglist for several rentals off of Colfax in Aurora. The pictures made the areas look nice enough. Then I read on here all of the disappointing news about that area.
Hmmm, East Colfax in Aurora. Unless things have changed in recent years (I haven't visited that area for probably 8-10 years), I would definitely avoid living in that area.

Actually, for a few years, I owned a very tiny house in that area way, way back in the mid 70s. Scariest place I ever lived, by a long shot. High crime rate, gunshots at night, people lurking around -- I even called the police one night because I got freaked out about a car parked in front of my house one night for hours with its occupants sitting in the dark, smoking cigarette after cigarette. They left when the police car drove down the block.

Not long after that, I moved across town, and rented the place out for a while, then eventually sold it.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
You should have no problem finding a decent 2br apartment anywhere in the metro area for about your price range. If you want a nicer area you may have to stretch a little.

Colfax is not what it used to be, but it's still not the greatest area anywhere in the metro area. Some parts of Colfax are showing signs of revitalization (like around the Tattered Cover in Denver) but it still has a ways to go. The way I look at it, you can find lots of apartments in better areas in your price range, so why live on Colfax in Aurora?

Old 01-10-2007, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 16,574 times
Thanks for the replies!

I was beginning to worry that our budget wouldn't afford something decent out that way. My husband can transfer just about anywhere, but until I could get a new job our budget would be limited.

Do you have any suggestions for specific areas I could look?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:00 AM

40 posts, read 223,655 times
I just moved out of the Aurora area (now living in Dallas, TX) and I have to say "STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM EAST COLFAX AS YOU CAN AFFORD TOO". Also, stay far away from the Montbello area. If you follow that advice you'll probably be good anywhere else.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalynn20 View Post
Do you have any suggestions for specific areas I could look?
It's hard to answer because we don't know what you're looking for. Do you want more of an urban neighborhood, suburban, or rural neighborhood? Do you know where you're commuting and how far you have to go? How important are school districts? Are you looking to be close to anywhere (like the mountains/ski resorts, for example?) Are you looking for an area with mostly brand new housing, or do you like the charm of historic housing?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 AM

16 posts, read 56,012 times
Is it all of E Colfax or is there a North South Street that divides it into a ok section and a scary section.

Also anyone think/know if the Fitzsimons medical complex is going to lead to a clean up of the area. My wife is looking at a job there and the lab I am joining will be moving to Fitzsimons from the Colorado and 9th campus in early 2008. My boss took me on a quick tour of the new area but mostly remarked about the older military housing that surrounded the complex, and the lack of restaurants around. While I think we are moving into a nice area (9400 Illif in Windstream community), it would be nice to not have to drive through the ghetto to get to work.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroSean View Post
Is it all of E Colfax or is there a North South Street that divides it into a ok section and a scary section.

Also anyone think/know if the Fitzsimons medical complex is going to lead to a clean up of the area. My wife is looking at a job there and the lab I am joining will be moving to Fitzsimons from the Colorado and 9th campus in early 2008. My boss took me on a quick tour of the new area but mostly remarked about the older military housing that surrounded the complex, and the lack of restaurants around. While I think we are moving into a nice area (9400 Illif in Windstream community), it would be nice to not have to drive through the ghetto to get to work.
Fitzimmons will probably help things in its immediate vicinity. The Tattered Cover area seems to be on the up and up. The area through Capitol Hill is getting better too. End to end, it's still pretty rundown though.

Frankly, though, I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than you need to. I wouldn't live on Colfax, but just to drive along on during the day? I really don't think you have much to worry about.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
MY DH and I lived in colorado from 91-96 unfortunatley horrible time in our lives personally, we lived in Englewood/Littleton border...I remember aurora being awful when we were there....My son who will be 12 was born there and we moved back to NY when he was 7 months old we had no family at the time and I was only in my mid 20's and 1st time awy from home..LOL anyway I remmeber when Highlands Ranch was being built the area that is and all the new builders that were building and you had to have alot of money to live there..Our favorite however was Parker and Castle Rock with Highlands Ranch coming in next..well we moved to jersey in 99 and now moving for the last time to NC...very excited about this move..anyway good luck to all!!! was just remembering my days in Colorado...lol and funny thing for the 5.5 yrs we were there IT NEVER SNOWED like it has..let alone I dont even remember much snow or for that matter being brutally cold....

Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 AM

40 posts, read 223,655 times
Default Colfax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroSean View Post

It's all of East Colfax that you should avoid. I use to work on the Fitzsimons Complex (just left a few months ago) and they are planning on some major changes for the area. They're looking at building a nice condo/townhome community right behind the old Army hospital; looks similiar to what they did to the Lowry AFB area after they closed it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver