Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM

152 posts, read 617,843 times

Advertisements

When did you feel like Colorado was "home" to you? Or, do you still feel like you're living in a foreign place? I moved here from Phx in Jan of this year and although we have made a couple friends, I still very much miss Phoenix. I was an AZ native, so I'm not expecting to feel instantly comfortable and secure, but I was just curious how long it took everyone else to settle in and make real friends.

I really love CO and everything it has to offer, but nothing can replace your friends and family. Anyone else been in this situation? BTW, I definately have put myself out there to make friends and I have been somewhat successful, however there is still that nagging feeling of "I want my old friends back"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Well, if you had my family, you'd be looking for replacements real fast

I left home at 18 and have moved 7 times to different states/countries, so I"m an "expert" now. I tend to hang on to a friend or two from each place I've lived, but have many great friends here in Denver now, and have no desire to move until retirement (25 years away)

Generally, it takes me 6 months to feel comfortable in the new location and then close to a year before it feels like home.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,830 times
My wife & I moved to SE Denver last August. She's originally from the area so she obviously fees at home (grew up in northern Denver metro) and I grew up in Fort Wayne, IN but spent the last 6-7 years in Los Angeles. Although we had a blast while we were there and left many friends behind this absolutely feels like home to me.

I definitely miss LA and my family from Indiana but Denver feels like where we're supposed to be. Being able to have a house AND yard is quite a plus in a neighborhood we're excited to be a part of. The weather is a bit of a trade-off I guess but it's been great for me so far. I love getting actual snow vs the cold combined with little snow I grew up with in Indiana.

The people here are great. I love all the old Denver neighborhoods, downtown, etc... with a ton of character. Plenty of non-chain restaurants to take in. Parks everywhere and a great supply of quality golf courses plus the fact that FIVE-SOMES are not allowed here. I rarely played golf in LA just because there were so many stinkin' people that rounds took 5.5 hrs to get in.

I'll also add we've had it a bit easy socially since one of my best friends lives here and plugged us into their group of friends. That's definitely eased the transition but we do love it here and my hope is that we're not moving from this city (or house even) until I'm retired if at all.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,592 times
I've been here going on three years, and in no way is it home to me. Then again, I never planned on living here for more than a few years anyway. I feel like I gave up a lot of things when I moved here (for a job), and didn't really get anything in return.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
It took a long time for me to feel like CO was "home". Having kids and getting involved in their activities helped. Before that, I worked full time, and I didn't get to know the neighbors as well. Truthfully, moving out of the city and into the suburbs helped, too, even though the city is supposed to be where the action is.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
I was born here, and lived here until I was 8, and then forced to move to Ohio because of a divorce.

I never felt like Ohio was my home, and for 20 years, I wanted out. Even though alot of my family lives there, I just had this nagging feeling that Colorado is where I belonged.

So one day, i packed up all my stuff, sold my house, and got the hell out of Dodge.

I've been here 6 months, but honestly, I felt an overwhelming sense of homeness, and security the minute I crossed the state line.

And i've had no trouble making friends here, cause I really get along with everyone I work with. Even met a special new lady already.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM

40 posts, read 76,375 times
Denver seemed like home to me, and I was only visiting for 5 days....go figure.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:15 AM

22 posts, read 53,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverberation View Post
Denver seemed like home to me, and I was only visiting for 5 days....go figure.
Ha! I hope that happens to me. : )

Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Some people love it, some people hate it. My ex wife hates it here cause she's a spoiled Connecticut raised brat.

She says "It's so ugly, everything looks dead" She said that in a restaraunt here, and the whole place just about stopped in their tracks!

She's just used to everything being green. It's a desert, of course everything looks brown and dead. The mountains more than make up for that.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
I've moved around a lot. Generally it can take a year or more for me to feel like my new city is home. It's hard to make new friends in a new city as adults but just keep trying and eventually you'll find some good peple that you can consider true friends. Once you find real true friendships, it will become home. It's also important not to compare everything to where you came from and focus on the things you do like about your new home rather then focusing on what you don't like. I think it might be harder since you lived in AZ your whole life. I moved every 7 years or so for my whole life and got pretty used to that so I don't have a hometown connection to miss. It'll get better with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: