Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,525 times

Advertisements

So true, there is no other city in the U.S. that compares to San Francisco. Living close to your husband's job will require you to be in the burbs and it will be a dramatic change from S.F. The commute south to Englewood is not the best as you have to go through the Denver Tech Center corridor, however, it is mild compared to S.F. traffic. Being close to light rail will help but it depends on where in Englewood the job will be located. The closer to I-25, the better if using the rail lines. South Park Hill and Washington Park are ideal for raising children and having pets. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 PM

16 posts, read 40,265 times
Hi Stella,

Check out the south Bonie Brae area. Great homes in your price range. The area is seeing new homes being developed starting in the $800,000 plus price range. So, upward pricing is happening in the area due to strong demand. It is probably one of the best areas to buy within Denver (within your price range).

You might also check out the University Hills and the Belmont Heights subdivisions (larger lots for your kids & dog)

Happy house hunting.

Bill

Last edited by katzenfreund; 06-18-2008 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: no advertising please!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Stella...do you live IN San Francisco, or do you live in a Bay area town?

I moved to Colorado after living for about a decade in Petaluma, which shares the "small town in the midst of agrarianism" feel of Castle Rock, right down to the grazing cows. As a result, I've been very comfortable here. If you live in the city, you might find the suburbs/exurbs somewhat stifling as others have suggested. However, even if you live in the midst of Denver, you will be in for a bit of a culture shock. San Francisco and Denver are VERY different places.

You have my best wishes for a smooth and trouble-free move!
I was just in Petaluma a couple months ago, and agree with the comparison.
I also agree that for someone who actually lives in the City rather than a Bay Area town, the 'burbs of Denver, and even Denver itself, would be a huge shock.
However, that last house that TropicanaRose posted looks just darling--and I've always liked that neighborhood.
I could be wrong, but I believe that other than the S. Pennsylvania listing, the other homes posted are probably on one-way streets.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 9,254 times
Thank you all for your help! Yes, the move is going to be quite a big change from living in SF. We currently live in right in the city, so Denver suburbs would be a huge change for us!

We'll really miss San Francisco, but it sounds like the Washington Park area will be a nice transition to Denver living. Denver RE Helper mentioned University Hills. Is this the same neighborhood as University Park/Observatory Park? I've been told that the neighborhood near Denver Univ is nice.

Thanks to all of you!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
[quote=stellafromSF;4147273]
We'll really miss San Francisco, but it sounds like the Washington Park area will be a nice transition to Denver living. Denver RE Helper mentioned University Hills. Is this the same neighborhood as University Park/Observatory Park? I've been told that the neighborhood near Denver Univ is nice.
/QUOTE]

They're next-door to each other, but University Hills definitely more "suburban-style" even though it's in Denver. It's largely 1950s-1960s-era, and resembles the southmoor neighborhood to its southeast quite a bit. That said, University Hills is a good neighborhood, well sought out for being convenient to I-25 , light rail (Yale Station), downtown and the DTC. University Park is closer to DU and a bit older, more streetcar-suburb than suburb, if that makes any sense.

Washington Park is a great neighborhood, but it comes with a pretty steep price tag these days. You might also consider Platt Park as well -- it's the neighborhood WEST of DU, and has great light rail access and shopping on South Pearl Street.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,254 times
Can anyone tell me what Hamden Hills in Englewood is like? If we do decide to jump right into suburban living, it seems like we'll get more for our money, but I'm not sure about the quality of this neighborhood, other than that it's not in the city. I did notice that schools in this area are part of the Cherry Creek School district, which I like. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:43 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,003 times
Hampden Hills is pretty good- I would also look at Holly Hills, Southmoor (as I mentioned previously) or Southern Hills/University Hills. More yard, cheaper, decent schools but still "city".

Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 7,878 times
I moved from the East Bay, Walnut Creek, about 9 years ago. Have not looked back. The neighborhoods you mention are great, older, established neighborhoods with homes built usually in the 20's-40's. If that is what you are looking for, all are great areas.
We moved to the Tech Center area. Mainly to be in the Cherry Creek School district was is one of the premier districts. For the price you are looking at, I think you will get much more for your money. Commute from this area is easy, also close to light rail.

Hope this helps. Here is my e-mail address if you want to contact me directly for add'l information. [ mod cut/ please do not post email addresses on this forum, use DM's instead]

Good luck

Last edited by katzenfreund; 07-01-2008 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver