Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Denver: downtown, capitol hill, housing, apartments, rentals, condos.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times

Advertisements

moving from richmond va in september or early october, and i wanna live as near to downtown as possible...city kinda guy will deal with cost but need advice on best area/neighborhood to go looking in....seems like just east of capitol building(not sure area name) is cool and rather old/historic....my kinda place but need to know what to expect...will be working for pf changs and earls so both jobs are VERY close to one another and i bike a bit(obviously not in winter) so where should i be looking(think 30y/o single straight guy very outgoing and fun loves to meet people) thanks to any and all for responses and advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
I'd look in Lodo (lower downtown) Lots of good clubs, and plenty of women to go around.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 PM

92 posts, read 365,773 times
If old/historic is what you want, then i'd suggest CapHill (the area southeast of the Capitol), Highlands, or Potter Highlands (the last will probably have the most number of single women in your age group, from what i've seen). All are close to downtown where you'll be working. If you live in Potter/Highlands, you can easily walk to work. There's now a pedestrian/bike bridge that crosses the highway (I25).

To my mind, LoDo, where the building are old, does not have the historic feel the other neighborhoods do, imho. (Please don't flame, people.) While LoDo has repurposed older buildings, there aren't the trees and neighborhoody look that the other neighborhoods i mentioned have. However, if you want a trendier look to your neighborhood (as well as a very active nightclub scene), then LoDo is definitely for you. The apts are very au courant--s/s kitchens, great rooms, and, in some cases, lots of windows. CapHill has a lot of older Victorians and foursquares--some still in need of renovation, despite what previous owners have done. Potter/Highlands has kind of a mix--some older 19th-early 20th century housing (including lots of bungalows) as well as much new construction dating mostly from the 90s. But, be aware that Potter/Highlands has smaller housing in general than CapHill, though there are some pretty expansive places, if you're willing to pay (which it sounds like you are).

I also wouldn't worry about biking in winter here. I do it pretty frequently. I'd guess that, if you live within one or two neighborhoods of downtown, you can bike two days out of three on average in winter. I tend to walk or take the bus (I live in CapHill), but i bike pretty frequently year-round--whenever the roads are decent.

Good luck on your move out here!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 PM

84 posts, read 223,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapHillboy View Post
If old/historic is what you want, then i'd suggest CapHill (the area southeast of the Capitol), Highlands, or Potter Highlands (the last will probably have the most number of single women in your age group, from what i've seen). All are close to downtown where you'll be working. If you live in Potter/Highlands, you can easily walk to work. There's now a pedestrian/bike bridge that crosses the highway (I25).

To my mind, LoDo, where the building are old, does not have the historic feel the other neighborhoods do, imho. (Please don't flame, people.) While LoDo has repurposed older buildings, there aren't the trees and neighborhoody look that the other neighborhoods i mentioned have. However, if you want a trendier look to your neighborhood (as well as a very active nightclub scene), then LoDo is definitely for you. The apts are very au courant--s/s kitchens, great rooms, and, in some cases, lots of windows. CapHill has a lot of older Victorians and foursquares--some still in need of renovation, despite what previous owners have done. Potter/Highlands has kind of a mix--some older 19th-early 20th century housing (including lots of bungalows) as well as much new construction dating mostly from the 90s. But, be aware that Potter/Highlands has smaller housing in general than CapHill, though there are some pretty expansive places, if you're willing to pay (which it sounds like you are).

I also wouldn't worry about biking in winter here. I do it pretty frequently. I'd guess that, if you live within one or two neighborhoods of downtown, you can bike two days out of three on average in winter. I tend to walk or take the bus (I live in CapHill), but i bike pretty frequently year-round--whenever the roads are decent.

Good luck on your move out here!
What are your thoughts on a single mid twenties female living in cap hill...meaning safety. I ask this question too everyone haha

Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
Agree with everything CapHillBoy states and I also live in Capitol Hill/Governor's Park. Bike riders ride to work throughout the entire winter. If the snow is over six inches, they walk their bike to the bus routes and ride home when the snow melts in the afternoon. Working at night in the restaurants could pose a challenge as the temps will drop when the businesses close.

You will like Capitol Hill or the Highlands and both are walkable to the Central Busines District. Capitol Hill will have the most rentable structures, while Lodo and Highlands will find more for sale. Lodo has a younger crowd and tons of sports bars. South of Colfax SoCo, will find larger nightclubs and the arts districts (Golden Triangle, Santa Fe Drive and Broadway). Colfax (15th Avenue with a name) and Broadway are the major streets that interscet at the State Capitol and will find the most bus routes to get you to any other busy street or light rail.

Hope this helps and best wishes!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 PM

619 posts, read 2,198,969 times
Don't have a clue, but wanted to say I had dinner at Earl's while scoping out Denver a couple weeks ago and loved the place and the food! I'll definitely be heading back so maybe I'll see you there.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: