Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 18,699 times

Advertisements

A male nurse,married with three children age 1, 5 and 6 yrs. We want a city where we can call live, raise our kids and call a dream city. We are immigrant from Africa and have been lived in Winston- salem, NC for 6yrs.
We want to know if Denver is a family friendly and good for raising kids. Also, want to find out if the city is friendly to other racial and cultural groups. If there are nurses in this forum, would you please let me know the job prospects for nurses in Denver, and colleges that offer MSN program in the city. We are liberal, christians, and peace-loving family. Which surburbs will be favorable for us, and with good public schools for our kids. We are planning on, firstly, moving to Apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Howdy,

What part of Africa are you from? Both Denver and Aurora have a significant African immigrant population. Along East Colfax there are many Ethiopian restaurant. In my neighborhood, there is a Christian church that is frequented by large population of African immigrants - it is near Mayfair Park (ivanhoe st & 9th ave). The city of Denver is quite friendly to different racial/cultural groups - from what I have experienced.

If you are looking for a suburb, I am probably not the best source. I would bet that SE Aurora might be what you are looking for in terms of a balance of diversity, good schools, affordability, etc.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paakwame View Post
A male nurse,married with three children age 1, 5 and 6 yrs. We want a city where we can call live, raise our kids and call a dream city. We are immigrant from Africa and have been lived in Winston- salem, NC for 6yrs.
We want to know if Denver is a family friendly and good for raising kids. Also, want to find out if the city is friendly to other racial and cultural groups. If there are nurses in this forum, would you please let me know the job prospects for nurses in Denver, and colleges that offer MSN program in the city. We are liberal, christians, and peace-loving family. Which surburbs will be favorable for us, and with good public schools for our kids. We are planning on, firstly, moving to Apartment.
What is your budget for housing?

Here is a good source for school test scores:

Colorado School Performance Maps

There are a couple of nurse posters who will probably chime in soon with good nursing related information.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Howdy,

If you are looking for a suburb, I am probably not the best source. I would bet that SE Aurora might be what you are looking for in terms of a balance of diversity, good schools, affordability, etc.
I agree with this- southeast and eastern Aurora is one of the more diverse suburban areas in Denver. Denver overall seems very friendly for various racial groups- there is a sizable Ethiopian population in eastern Denver and parts of Aurora.

Most people who live in Denver seem to like living in Denver, but it's not a "dream city." Every place has good and bad aspects, but overall I think that Denver is a great city.

I can't tell you about the job market for nurses in this area, but I bet that Katiana will be able to answer that question for you.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Will Denver be a dream city for my family

Only if you make it that way. The grass is always greener...but if you live in the middle of nowhere, live in NYC, live in Anchorage, live in whatever place...you make of it what you want.

Denver is a fabulous place to live. Being raised in Colorado Springs I vowed since I was a young child that I would never live there. I ended up there and it was a very good place to live. I wouldn't squawk if I moved back to the Denver Metro area at all. You just have to seek out friends. Join some things that interest you and such.

It may not be a "dream city" but it is a pretty nice place to live IMO.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
I lived in Denver with my biracial baby after my "divorce" a few years ago and got to know another interracial couple with a baby while living there. Neither of us had any problems. People were mostly friendly and welcoming. I don't think you'll have any problems there. I don't know about your dream city, but I'm sure you'll find Denver to be a great place for you and your family. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 18,699 times
Thanks for all your pieces of advice. God Bless

Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Agree with COflower about the dream city business. I am an RN. The MSN programs in the city are at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and at Regis University. There is also an MSN program at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, which has some sort of "weekend option" where you go to class on weekends (acutally I think Friday/Sat or some such).

Nursing jobs have historically been tight here b/c there are a lot of people moving in. With experience, you will probably do all right, but the job search may be harder than you have experienced in other places. Denver is definitely the health care heart of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver