Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:31 PM

40 posts, read 204,090 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what others' thoughts are on the Democratic National Convention coming to Denver in 2008... Personally, I'm really excited about the opportunity for Denver to showcase itself to the world. The convention's impact on the local economy will be tremendous. I realize that there are some concerns like traffic, parking, etc but from what I understand the city is making a large financial investment to handle these problems.

Just curious what others are thinking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 PM

39 posts, read 204,726 times
I will stay away as far away from the area they will be infesting as possible.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:42 PM

210 posts, read 1,345,207 times
I'm wondering if the streets will be plowed in time.....!!!

Actually, I agree with you. I think it's a great opportunity for Denver, both economically as well as to demonstrate that Denver is not some cowtown tucked away in the Rocky Mountains. Plus, I am somewhat of a political junkie (the word "somewhat" being a drastic understatement, and yes, I do watch the speeches given at the conventions) so I think it'll be interesting from that aspect as well. Especially considering that '08 will be an interesting race, with no president or vice president running.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,740 times
While it may be a economic boost for Denver, I am not looking forward to it. I'm with KrisluvThreePrinces. I'll stay as far away from there as I can. I'd say that even if it was the Republican National Convention. There are going to be lots of traffic issues, protesters, politicians strutting around puffing out their chests and making empty promises to people that are going to eat it up like candy. After the hangover, nothing really would have been accomplished except to know who will be in the '08 race.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinajaCo View Post
I think it's a great opportunity for Denver, both economically as well as to demonstrate that Denver is not some cowtown tucked away in the Rocky Mountains.
It's great for Denver! Political conventions don't really help cities like NY, but cities like Denver can really get an economic boost out of them and give us a chance to be on the world stage.

As for the cowtown bit... we're really not much of a cowtown but I think we should play like one during the convention. We can really play it up. It's part of our heritage and we have as much a right to claim that we're the center of cowboy country as anyone.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:51 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
It's a convention. Denver hosts lots of conventions, it's a big business already ... if you haven't noticed with all the hotels and convention centers.

Fraternal organizations, business organizations, trade shows, all bring in a lot of people every year and a lot of attention to the area.

This one's no different than all the rest.

X number of people, X number of hotel rooms, X number of passengers using DIA, X number of restaurant meals served. It's got the same impact on traffic and commerce as any other. Denver already gets plenty of national exposure for other reasons ... pro sports, skiing, outdoor rec, hi-tech.

That's why it's grown so much since the 1960's into a big city.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:28 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,740 times
From what I hear, it is going to be held in the Pepsi Center, not the convention center. While many other conventions occur in Denver, none will get the attention that this one will generate. There is also a chance for protesters and demonstrations, so there will be a much bigger police presence for security, not just directing traffic. Regardless, I am staying away from downtown while it is going on.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:59 PM

111 posts, read 610,337 times
I haven't had a chance to read up on this, so I'm curious where the money that needs to be raised by Denver is going to come from. Isn't it something like 50million that Denver needs to come up with?

Politics and that tiny money issue aside, I think it would be good for the area in the long run just for the exposure. The shorterm economic boost might be a disapointment though. I too will stay very clear of downtown around that time.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 PM

210 posts, read 1,345,207 times
If I had to be downtown on a regular basis, I can see myself having a different opinion, but since I rarely have to venture there I guess I don't think the convention will have much of an impact on me. Yes, it is just a convention, but it's much different than your average trade convention. It will generate a lot of nationwide exposure for Denver, and as said before there will be the need for a lot more security, with so many key figures being in town at once.

Dan, I read that a lot of companies are helping to pay off the $50 million, including Qwest and Excel. But if I recall correctly their contributions were fairly small. They keep saying that residents won't end up paying for much, if any, of the tab, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:29 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Quote from gpraceman:
There are going to be lots of traffic issues, protesters, politicians strutting around puffing out their chests and making empty promises to people that are going to eat it up like candy. After the hangover, nothing really would have been accomplished except to know who will be in the '08 race.

You are so right!
I just hope that we are gone (moved) to NC by the time this Convention occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver