Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:12 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times

Advertisements

Great pics! Can you tell me something about this building (the tall one with the rounded top)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,106 times
Yes, the Wells Fargo center was built in 1983 as the United Bank Building. It is the third tallest at 52 floors. The top is curved to resemble a cash register. Postmodern architectural style and made of glass and granite.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:11 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Nice photos DenverAztec! On your pics in post #7, tell me exactly how many of those photos were from Pueblo. I count at least 3.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
I have tons of pics and I could easily clog up this thread.
Some very well known structures, there, DenverAztec.
Also, one of your pictures is of the home of a relative of mine.
I think you've posted it before--I remember seeing it here, anyway.
Quote:
Cheeseman was downhill and housed those, who when died, had no money, were criminal or unclaimed. Only 1/3 of the bodies were moved from Cheeseman as the contractor was caught only moving the headstone and not the bodies. The city never corrected this problem and the bodies are still there. Fun little Denver historical fact.
Yes indeed.
Another fun fact:
The movie The Changeling is based on a true story that happened (during the 1960s) to a man who bought a house on Cheesman Park. The house has since been torn down.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:18 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,515 times
I could swear one of those pics is my old high school, North High.

Also, some look a lot like the first home I bought, off of Umatilla.

Nice pictures Aztec!! Brings back lots of memories for me!!

There sure are a ton of newer buildings I've never seen. Very interesting!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM

676 posts, read 2,796,662 times
Quote:
Yes, the Wells Fargo center was built in 1983 as the United Bank Building. It is the third tallest at 52 floors. The top is curved to resemble a cash register. Postmodern architectural style and made of glass and granite.
I also heard somewhere a while back that a section of the rounded roof was retractable.... maybe just myth though

Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 AM

Thank you all for the picture compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Nice photos DenverAztec! On your pics in post #7, tell me exactly how many of those photos were from Pueblo. I count at least 3.
All Denver, no Pueblo McGowdog. However, Pueblo does have some cool historic buildings as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Some very well known structures, there, DenverAztec. Also, one of your pictures is of the home of a relative of mine. I think you've posted it before--I remember seeing it here, anyway.

I need to get to know this realative of yours because they probably have lots of money!

Yes indeed.
Another fun fact:
The movie The Changeling is based on a true story that happened (during the 1960s) to a man who bought a house on Cheesman Park. The house has since been torn down.
Poltergeist was also based on Cheeseman Park, building homes on scared land. Supposedly the homes around the park we constantly haunted when first built and the park is still haunted. I have never seen anything roaming around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
I could swear one of those pics is my old high school, North High.

Actually, I posted the schools I went to - Lake Junior High and Denver West. Here is one of Denver North High:

Also, some look a lot like the first home I bought, off of Umatilla.

Nice pictures Aztec!! Brings back lots of memories for me!!

There sure are a ton of newer buildings I've never seen. Very interesting!

Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
I also heard somewhere a while back that a section of the rounded roof was retractable.... maybe just myth though
There were issues with ice building up and falling on the street below when it was first built. They had to add a heating system to the glass curves at the top so ice would not build up but I don't believe it is retractable. What I wish we had was an observation deck on at least one of the three, something that had a minimal cost verse the tower at Six Flaggs.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Now I want to retract my statement. I'm almost sure one I thought was the Rosemount Museum is not. One looks like La Renaissance, but it's probably not. The other looks just like the Historic District on Union St., but still not sure.

Now about what was once the United Bank Building; isn't that where that robbery was? Four guards were killed in a secured area, it was during the weekend, and there weren't but about 5 others employees/witnesses whom were involved but unharmed? Ring a bell, anybody?

I knew a guy who claimed he was one of the unharmed employees. Unharmed physically, anyway. He would not talk about it whatsoever.

So who did it and why so little money taken? Was it that Gates guy? And who was his lawyer?

Another little Denver trivia for ya.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Yes, The Wells Fargo Center/United Bank was the building that had the robbery. I don't think anyone was ever convicted for that crime? Could be wrong and no time to Google it at the moment.

Trivia Question Two - What famous architect designed the building just west of the Wells? Hint, he uses his initials instead of his first name.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
All Denver, no Pueblo McGowdog. However, Pueblo does have some cool historic buildings as well...
Right you are. Mrs. McGowdog gave me a bum steer. I was getting to think she was always right! Or I was usually wrong.

Our little claim to fame; That Museum that I thought might have fit into the Denver scene;

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver