Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:59 AM

89 posts, read 380,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapHillboy View Post
And another trivia question: IM Pei was involved in two other downtown Denver landmarks. One is gone now, but the other is doing very well, but in need of repair. Name those landmarks.

I know that the 16st mall itself is being done by IM PEI, and doing well, but need repair. Constantly seeing the shuttle bus' route being blocked by people replacing the pavers. Ah and yeah while we're talking about that. I remember riding the shuttle bus one day, and there were like 2 guys talking loudly. One then noticed the people working on the pavings, and he just snapped out loudly "Oh Gosh, why don't they just give it up and pour concrete instead, it will last longer". It made me kinda upset, so i just thought inside my head, good thing not everyone is like you, or what an ugly world it will be.

And okay back to IM pei, i believe there's another highrise building done by him, just don't remember which, it's in the civic center area. But i thought it's still there, but has been modified a lot so that it's worthless now. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 PM

89 posts, read 380,590 times
oh just ignore my second statement, I just read through the thread, i guess it's the mile high center, and already been mentioned. Hmmm i don't know what the other one is then....hmmm

Old 06-27-2008, 01:24 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Anyone who has ever been to Buffalo - or at least during the last 5 years knows that the entire city can be considered a museum. So many nice old buildings. Buffalo was once theh 6th biggest city but its population peaked in 1946 and each year since then, its lost people. It is now less than half of its WWII population.

The result? Buffalo hasn't needed many new buildings and its the 2nd most drivable city in the US. ( Corpus Christi is ranked 1st).

Buffalo has one HUGE problem -super high real estate taxes.

I travel cities just to look at old buildings. Other top places for architecture would be Pittsburgh and Cincinnati -
It might also be diversity of Architecture. The cities you refer to have lots of historic architecture but have a relatively small stock of various other styles.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,119 times
Quote:
Gio Ponti designed the DAM building in the 70s. (Not sure if it was the original, because a Denverite once told me that the Byers-Evans House next door was the first building to officially house the DAM. I've never read anything to corroborate that, though.)

And Liebeskind designed the new Hamilton wing, though i read a while ago that his part on the WTC in NYC has been truncated so much and his design so changed, that he really has very little to do with it at this point.

And another trivia question: IM Pei was involved in two other downtown Denver landmarks. One is gone now, but the other is doing very well, but in need of repair. Name those landmarks.

And, as everyone else has said, thanks, DenverAztec, for reminding me that Denver does have a beautiful built environment. I pass many of these buildings weekly, but I forget to stop and appreciate them.
Would the other one be the old carnagie hall?? Its the only structure from that time period that I can think of that was torn down

Old 06-27-2008, 01:35 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Outside of Denver IM Pei did the NCAR (National Center for Atmosperic Research) in Boulder in 1967. Alright Cap Hill Boy, time to come clean!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:48 PM

Nevermind, it is Court House Square - 1960!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
[b][color=blue]

I always thought the same until I was almost attacked last summer by a whack in King Soopers. He was on PCP or something of the like and wanted to fight me. Lucky for him security took him away. And lucky for me I didn't break a hip, LOL!
I did say "mostly" harmless.
A friend of mine was mugged in the Queen Soopers parking lot.
I am glad you were okay, Aztec.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,220 times
Aztec, have you ever seen the Hover Estate in Longmont? Its at the intersection of Hover and Mountain View. Beautiful 19th century English manor, fully renovated, replete with caretaker's house. Worth the drive. I think they have tours. I grew up in the area, and that mansion was the envy of nearly everyone then.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM

92 posts, read 365,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Nevermind, it is Court House Square - 1960!
Sorry. I have been offline most of the day. You are right twice. Court House Square (which included the parabaloid structure and the ice rink) was the one i was thinking of that got torn down.

The other, as charygart stated, is the 16th Street Mall. I don't know how involved he was in its design, but it was his firm that did the design work. The only reason I know this is because the Downtown Denver Partnership (I think they were the ones) just completed a study to figure out what to do about those pesky granite tiles that keep popping out along the mall.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I did say "mostly" harmless.
A friend of mine was mugged in the Queen Soopers parking lot.
I am glad you were okay, Aztec.
Thanks BlueWillowPlate, me too! However, sorry about your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Aztec, have you ever seen the Hover Estate in Longmont? Its at the intersection of Hover and Mountain View. Beautiful 19th century English manor, fully renovated, replete with caretaker's house. Worth the drive. I think they have tours. I grew up in the area, and that mansion was the envy of nearly everyone then.
I have not seen the Hover Estate, but it sounds like it is worth a trip up there. Thank you Sockeye, I will look into it!

Quote:
Sorry. I have been offline most of the day. You are right twice. Court House Square (which included the parabaloid structure and the ice rink) was the one i was thinking of that got torn down.

The other, as charygart stated, is the 16th Street Mall. I don't know how involved he was in its design, but it was his firm that did the design work. The only reason I know this is because the Downtown Denver Partnership (I think they were the ones) just completed a study to figure out what to do about those pesky granite tiles that keep popping out along the mall.
Okay, new trivia question - Which buildings downtown are connected by tunnels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver