Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:32 PM

89 posts, read 380,590 times

Advertisements

Yeah that's what I remember from what the guide told us when i was at the tour of the molly brown house, about getting the women to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:23 PM

119 posts, read 379,588 times
Dear Denver aztec,

Thank for the great pictures-GREAT JOB!!!,Denver's architecture is equivalent in beauty and character to that of old eastern cities like Toronto,Boston and New York.Some of the neighborhood pictures resembles "the beaches" neighborhood of my native Toronto.
Those wonderful pictures show to everyone that Denver doesn't have to play 2nd fiddle to anyone for anything!
Denverians & Coloradians in general have a inferiority complex regarding the status of their state and that of Denver on the national landscape witch i do not understand.
The city is just the best the U.S. as to offer all things considered,i can only hope to soon be there.
I am still stuck in God awful montreal where the weather as turn from bone chilling cold to crappy,dirty,smelly,muggy and suffocatingly hot .
Hopefully things will unlocked and I'll be in Denver in the last third of Football season in November.
CONGRATULATIONS OLD CHUM!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Default Answers to Trivia question about Molly Brown!

Many of Denver’s wealthy came from the east coast as well as Europe seeking the riches offered by undiscovered minerals in the Rocky Mountains. Those ties to the east coast and Europe are reflected in the historic architecture of the past and current. Molly Brown’s family was an example of the many that came to Denver but were not wealthy initially. Her parents didn’t find the wealth but her husband JJ’s engineering skills found fortunes in ore seam.

Margaret, Molly, took on tough social issues of her time: juvenile justice; children's, women's and miner's rights; and social equality. Being a world traveler and speaking different languages, she worked with other philanthropist with such names as Guggenheim, Carnegie, Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan and Vanderbilt. She worked with politicians and judges and together with one judge created a juvenile justice system that reformed the way the state and the nation treat juvenile crimes.

Molly husband JJ and three others bought and donated the current land that the Basilica downtown currently sits upon. Margaret was instrumental in raising the funds to see it built.

She became a nurse when wars broke out and continually ran for the US Senate well before women had the right to vote, 1909 and 1911. Her bid in 1914 was postponed due to her sister Helen, the Baroness Von Reitzenstien in Germany, plea as her husband was called to the front lines during WWI – (sounds oddly like “The Sound of Music”). She had already been approached by the Vanderbilt family to help them establish medical relief facilities in France. Margaret gave use of her Newport cottage to the Red Cross and set sail for France with medical equipment and nurses in hand. She worked closely with government officials and local villagers to rebuild and refurnish houses and to distribute food, clothing, linens and tools. She was involved in importing new livestock and establishing medical facilities and health education programs. She also helped rebuild schools and public libraries. After WWI, CARD continued to help victims until 1924. Margaret settled in New York and worked with blind soldiers at the Briar Cliff Lodge.

An incredible contributor to Denver’s rich history as well as the US and abroad!

During one of Molly’s trips to Egypt, she purchased two sphinxes with which to decorate the front of her Pennsylvania Street house. Margaret also brought back art and artifacts from around Europe that she donated to the Denver Art Museum and the Museum of Natural History.

Cheers to Molly and for all she did!

Originally the Sisters of Loretto Girls School, circa 1900, then the Salvation Army and now condos. Next door to Molly Brown’s house. Molly would not only toss the ball back over her fench to the school girls but helped keep it running financially.

Note the Sphinx from Egypt.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
Dear Denver aztec,

Thank for the great pictures-GREAT JOB!!!,Denver's architecture is equivalent in beauty and character to that of old eastern cities like Toronto,Boston and New York.Some of the neighborhood pictures resembles "the beaches" neighborhood of my native Toronto.
Those wonderful pictures show to everyone that Denver doesn't have to play 2nd fiddle to anyone for anything!
Denverians & Coloradians in general have a inferiority complex regarding the status of their state and that of Denver on the national landscape witch i do not understand.
The city is just the best the U.S. as to offer all things considered,i can only hope to soon be there.
I am still stuck in God awful montreal where the weather as turn from bone chilling cold to crappy,dirty,smelly,muggy and suffocatingly hot .
Hopefully things will unlocked and I'll be in Denver in the last third of Football season in November.
CONGRATULATIONS OLD CHUM!
Well, Thank you RATT! I love taking walks and shooting these pictures. Tons of history in my walkable neighborhood. As a native Denverite, I have always appreciated what the city has offered in the past and currently. You come from an area that is also incredibly rich with history and I want to be the first to say that you are welcome in Denver any time!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM

New Denver Trivia question - Which building in Denver has stain glass in it that is worth more then the whole building?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
I'm guessing it has to be red (gold required). Does it have a lot of red in it?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM

It is not red in color and copper and brass, but no gold.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Worth in materials, or worth as art/design?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 PM

It has incredible art and design, but the stained glass itself is worth more then the materials. Hint: it is not a church and think of what kind of stained glass would be worth that much?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Tiffany Stained Glass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver