U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,480,859 times

Advertisements

I'm stumped... there's Tiffany glass all over the place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 PM

3,689 posts, read 6,919,456 times
Equittable Building on 17th, and no I will not reveal my sources lol

Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 4,134,602 times
You are correct Noah - It recent had over $5,000,000 in renovations.

“There are but a few buildings in the United States that will equal in the grace and beauty of its architecture, and attractive loveliness of its composition as the Equitable Building when finished.” -Rocky Mountain News, 1890

I will post some of my pics shortly.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,480,859 times
Damn!

(although I have a hunch that your sources are similar to mine... in that they rhyme with Doogle or Malta Hista)

Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 AM

Default Which building has stained glass in it that is worth more then the building itself?

Equitable Building, Denver, Colorado

730 17th Street
Year Built: 1892
Architect: Andrews, Jaques & Rantoul
15th & 16th Streets were the heart of Denver’s business activity when the Equitable Life Insurance Company constructed the first “high-rise” on 17th Street. At a cost of $1.5 million, this was Denver’s most expensive, and with nine stories, Denver’s tallest building. The intricate carvings on the exterior arches show finely detailed laurel leaves, acanthus leaves and great wreaths. Carved by Andrew Garbutt of Boston, they exemplify the Greco-Roman style of the building. The stately stone exterior, with an interior lobby of Byzantine mosaics (6 million hand placed tiles), Tiffany & Co. glass and brass fixtures, grace what is still Denver’s grandest office building.

Denver’s Equitable Insurance building is built in the shape of the letter ‘E’ and has had little competition in elegance along 17th Street business structures. The Equitable Building has had a significant role in the commercial and political history of Colorado. At the time of its completion, it was a focal point for the development of 17th Street as a center of finance and business in Denver. It has since served as the location for many distinguished businesses and law offices. It was the tallest building in Denver until 1911 when it was surpassed by the Daniels & Fisher Tower. St. Charles Town Company, based in Denver, has now converted the 173,000 square foot Equitable Building into office condominium ownership. It was designated a historic landmark by the City of Denver in 1977 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 AM

3,689 posts, read 6,919,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Damn!

(although I have a hunch that your sources are similar to mine... in that they rhyme with Doogle or Malta Hista)
LMFAO!!! I will never tell ;p

Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
LMFAO!!! I will never tell ;p
Yes, very funny. I will have to get more clever.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 AM

What Denver church was founded by a woman and currently has no priest, pastor or reverend running it's Sunday services?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM

89 posts, read 235,032 times
Darn, I knew the answer to that stained glass questions. I should have checked the forum more often. And now I don't know the answer to this one without any research.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,060,360 times
I love Denver, and there is great architecture there. However, this study seems really stupid. I mean, what was their criteria. Did they really even visit every city? Does this architecture firm have real architects, or is this people from Triangle Tech doing this study?

Don't get me wrong. I love Denver, and the architecture there is great, but above Philly or Washington? Please.

I live in Pittsburgh now, I am suprised that is not on the list. Pittsburgh has stunning architecture everywhere you look.

But, can you really rate the "architecture" of cities....not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver